Broodminder Scale

Default Broodminder Scale

I'm considering the purchase of a Broodminder scale. I've read all the comments regarding the scale which the two main concerns are the battery life and the weight fluctuations corresponding to temp changes, all which are from comments going back to 2015.

Since we are now entering the spring of 2019, I'd like to ask those folks who have used the scale in 2018 what they think of it? Have the problems I've mentioned above seem to have been corrected by the manufacturer?

Are you satisfied with the product?

Since most of the comments go back to the early 2015 days, has there since then been any other products that have come onto the market which do the same thing as the Broodminder scale and other sensors that I should consider also?

Finally, when using the Broodminder scale, how critical is it that the hive is setting on a level stand in order for the Broodminder scale to function properly?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Broodminder Scale

I bought two last year at Tri country. Wooster show. In general I like it. Would I put one under every hive no. But I plan to put one at ever yard. I have had some minor headaches with it. The biggest is it Bluetooth connecting. I had too put my phone right next to the reader. I saw Rich from their at the ABF conference he hand me two new one. And ask that bring he back them two. They are working on doing major up grades to the software. Working more with google. And yes I bought some more.

I got one in December of '17. I haven't noticed much issue with weight fluctuation with temp. But bluetooth connectivity is an issue. Sometimes I go out to the yard and my phone just won't find the broodminder. It just searches and searches. I have to force quit the app and start it back up in order to get it to find it.

I was checking it every other week and downloading the data. I replaced the battery last December. Last month it told me its memory was full (I didn't know it was possible) and that it needed to clear it's memory. I said sure. Ever since I can't get the app to find the broodminder. Haven't had the time to fiddle with it more though.

Don't know if this helps you or not.

I've had Broodminders for 3(?) years. They had issues early on, but they have worked smoothly the last 1 1/2.

The weight readings have been very consistent. I've seen small fluctuations that I suspect were due to heat, but nothing significant. I'm sure my hive stands are not perfectly level, but that hasn't presented a problem.

Anytime I have had trouble, the Broodminder folks have been very helpful, and they even replaced my first units, with the battery drain problem. I am very satisfied. I can heartily recommend them. The scale is a lot of fun to monitor during the flow.

clong, thank you for the update. Your review sounds positive. How close to level does the hive have to be in order for the scale to operate properly?

Special K, the memory full issue gives me cause for concern. Especially after the battery change. Hope you can keep us updated on the status of this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by rick54 View Post
    clong, thank you for the update. Your review sounds positive. How close to level does the hive have to be in order for the scale to operate properly?
    I don't know. I would suggest asking Broodminder. My guess is that any out of balance issue great enough to cause a seriously errant reading would involve a hive in danger of tipping over in a strong wind. I do know that there is an adjustment factor that will help deal with a hive that has stores unbalanced from front to back.

If he hasn't already, Specialkayme should contact them as well. They have always shown a willingness to make things right. I found a graphing issue, and they went "the second mile" to help resolve it.