swarm + deep horizontal ish + experimental

Question swarm + deep horizontal ish + experimental

Hi, y'all,

I guess I have several questions all at once. First what the heck would you call the hive I just designed. It is 17" by 17" by 22" deep. The foundationless frames have 17" top bars with a 15 x 18" frame glued to the top bars. I can't really call it a horizontal hive because it is a tower.

Next question, so I got a free swarm from my friend on tuesday I hived it. God bless the bees are bringing in pollen today.

However, they are clustered at the bottom of my frames, not the top, and building tiny short combs at the bottom of the frames. I had intentionally designed the frames with about 3 - 4" clearance from the hive bottom, thinking I could stuff some peat moss in there or something. Has anyone seen this behavior before?

I know, I know, building longer frames.

This hive is definitely my experiment. I want to see what happens next....

-Thomas
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: swarm + deep horizontal ish + experimental

I just got done cutting out the boards for a similar hive. The bottom "deep" is long enough for 2 eight frame medium honey supers to go over top, but in winter, I plan to reduce it down to just the bottom box which is about the equivalent of 1.5 deep ten frame equipment.

I plan to cut out some of my topbar comb to attach to the deep frames and move one of my 5 frame nucs into this in the next few weeks. I'm not fond of my horizontal hive from last year, like I love my topbar hives, but I had some wood to use up or hubby was going to throw in the trash can and I don't like lifting all the boxes to inspect Lang hives, so I came up with this type of design.

Anyway, for the bees clustering on the bottom, find your queen and put her in a queen cage hung from a topbar. The bees should cluster around her to start building comb. Although, if she is by chance a virgin queen, she will need a mating flight. Probably for this early in the season, she is the mated queen from a hive that was not properly managed though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzow View Post
    Hi, y'all,

It is 17" by 17" by 22" deep.

-Thomas
    A square Dadant for super deep frame compatible to Lazutin.
    Square Lazutin, basically.
    This is not a tower.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Square Lazutin. I'll go with that!

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    A square Dadant for super deep frame compatible to Lazutin.
    Square Lazutin, basically.
    This is not a tower.
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

Thanks for the advice, Ruthie. I might wait until it gets warmer though?

Quote Originally Posted by ruthiesbees View Post
    I just got done cutting out the boards for a similar hive. The bottom "deep" is long enough for 2 eight frame medium honey supers to go over top, but in winter, I plan to reduce it down to just the bottom box which is about the equivalent of 1.5 deep ten frame equipment.

I plan to cut out some of my topbar comb to attach to the deep frames and move one of my 5 frame nucs into this in the next few weeks. I'm not fond of my horizontal hive from last year, like I love my topbar hives, but I had some wood to use up or hubby was going to throw in the trash can and I don't like lifting all the boxes to inspect Lang hives, so I came up with this type of design.

Anyway, for the bees clustering on the bottom, find your queen and put her in a queen cage hung from a topbar. The bees should cluster around her to start building comb. Although, if she is by chance a virgin queen, she will need a mating flight. Probably for this early in the season, she is the mated queen from a hive that was not properly managed though.