Making due with what I have

Exclamation Making due with what I have

Hello Folks,

I have 2 of the plastic nuc boxes from last year. Unfortunately, my hive did not survive. I was robbed 2x, then I had to re-queen once, and finally I got hit with some mites in the fall. I Was planning on trying to catch a swarm this year. I took the 2 nuc boxes and added some old brood comb, and have some LGO ordered. I am pretty sure there is a feral bee hive in my woods, as I've seen some bees go into a tree. I would like to place the 2 nuc box swarm traps on either side of my 30 acres, one facing South down a patch of black berries, and one facing East in my field close to my pond. I have 2 questions: 1) with the Nuc box swarm traps suffice to catch a swarm? 2) do these 2 locations sound like they will work? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Making due with what I have

Research suggests that scouts/swarms prefer a larger box so many use a deep box. Do you have a deep box, or was your colony kept in a nuc box? If you have a unused deep(s), you will probably have better luck. But if that's all you have, give it a shot. Many have success with nuc boxes too. I'm no swarm expert so can't comment on location except to say many have had success on the edges of woods and fields. With the LGO, don't over due it. More is not better, but refresh it every couple of weeks. Best of luck, J

If that's what ya got, that's what ya got - go with it. I try to place swarm traps in the shade and in trees that stand apart from the crowd. Purely anecdotal but I seem to have better success with traps within sight of water. A small box will only catch small to med swarms but no boxes out generally don't catch any.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

I have 2 nucs ordered, and I have 2 hives set up waiting for them. I am in the process of making some more deeps to have another hive in case I catch a swarm. How big should a swarm box be? Just the size of a deep? Do you fill it with frames or leave some empty space in a 10 frame deep for a swarm?

Per Dr Seeley, a deep box is the optimum size. To fill a box full of frames is debatable, some only use a few frames so there is more open space for the scouts to assess, other's want the box full of frames to reduce the odds of having to dealing with com built on the "ceiling." It's a judgement call. A piece of old comb and lemon grass oil are good "lures."

If you have the hives waiting for your nucs, bait them and put them out; a swarm may cut out the middle man and move directly into a permanent box.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    Research suggests that scouts/swarms prefer a larger box so many use a deep box. Do you have a deep box, or was your colony kept in a nuc box? If you have a unused deep(s), you will probably have better luck. But if that's all you have, give it a shot. Many have success with nuc boxes too. I'm no swarm expert so can't comment on location except to say many have had success on the edges of woods and fields. With the LGO, don't over due it. More is not better, but refresh it every couple of weeks. Best of luck, J
    All the above are good suggestions.Here's a link to some of mine.
    http://99-40.com/bees/traphive.html
    54+ years 16 colonies Treat using OAV
    http://99-40.com