could spring finally be coming to the north east?!?!?!?! - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: could spring finally be coming to the north east?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    This is very upsetting to me, that here in upstate NY there are hive beetles; another reason to have a sustainable apiary (my 3rd year) Hopefully the beekeeper near me thst is buying 10 nucs from a migratory beek doesn’t get them.
    every year when the migratory beeks get here the hive beetle population goes up, problem is they seem to be getting better at overwintering, this and last winter were cold for long stretches, hive beetles are just fine, I tried pollen patties once, trying the loose stuff this year. the other problem with buying nucs from commercial beeks is their mites are resistant to apivar since they have been using maverick for so long, bought a couple of nucs 3 years ago to test the theory, put them in an isolation yard, put in apavar strips with sticky's in, after a couple of weeks with few mites falling, put in apiguard and the mites fell just fine.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

FINALLY seeing pollen today. It was a nice day and lots of bees flying around. They were all bringing in an off-white pollen. Maybe spring has finally made it?

Last weekend i had some hives with 50 pounds of nectar in the supers. Not a lot of pollen at some yards but all had some coming in. guessing tomorrow when that warmth gets here they will be going gangbusters on pollen. This one monster hive had several deep frames of sealed brood as well. I was absolutely shocked. Going to have to add boxes to it tomorrow......adding boxes in beginning of April is crazy. might just have a breeder queen on my hands.
    Terrence

Spring I hope is here and plus 35 degree nights from here forward. I am picking up 2 3 lb packages from Kingston NY. Then picking up 2 nucs at the end of April. I will also be making a split out of my surviving hive next week, lots of drones in my surviving hive already and quite a few drone cells not hatched. Let the nectar flow the sooner the better.

Quote Originally Posted by ny12569 View Post
    Spring I hope is here and plus 35 degree nights from here forward. I am picking up 2 3 lb packages from Kingston NY. Then picking up 2 nucs at the end of April. I will also be making a split out of my surviving hive next week, lots of drones in my surviving hive already and quite a few drone cells not hatched. Let the nectar flow the sooner the better.
    . I wonder if there is nectar right now. Went in one of my hives today and saw lots of nectar. We’re could they be getting it from? Is it nectar?

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    Last weekend i had some hives with 50 pounds of nectar in the supers. Not a lot of pollen at some yards but all had some coming in. guessing tomorrow when that warmth gets here they will be going gangbusters on pollen. This one monster hive had several deep frames of sealed brood as well. I was absolutely shocked. Going to have to add boxes to it tomorrow......adding boxes in beginning of April is crazy. might just have a breeder queen on my hands.
    i found a yellow dot queen with 3 boxes full of bees and several deep frames with brood also. I will be grafting from her this year for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Sickdog5 View Post
    . I wonder if there is nectar right now. Went in one of my hives today and saw lots of nectar. We’re could they be getting it from? Is it nectar?
    inspected another yard today doing spring cleaning. so much nectar in the frames it was falling out when turning the frames over looking for brood. counted 5 different pollen colors coming in. even had a booger green looking pollen. don't think i've ever seen that color before. brood in all hives and expanding. spring is definitely here.
    Terrence

Tons of pollin in my hives today and some fresh nectar. Dark purple pollin was coming in. Dont know what that is. Time to check the polin color chart.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    the other problem with buying nucs from commercial beeks is their mites are resistant to apivar since they have been using maverick for so long,
    Apivar is amitraz. Mavrik is fluvalinate.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Apivar is amitraz. Mavrik is fluvalinate.
    true
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Today in the 60’s, makes me smile. Made separate hives out of the double nuc, both wintered well with Mike Palmer queens. That made me smile too. So far so good. I did notice nectar in the hives and low stores, so added more honey frames. I did have to combine a dwindling hive that had been doing well with a swarm that went queenless, so 14 good lost 3. Spring is here!
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    inspected another yard today doing spring cleaning. so much nectar in the frames it was falling out when turning the frames over looking for brood. counted 5 different pollen colors coming in. even had a booger green looking pollen. don't think i've ever seen that color before. brood in all hives and expanding. spring is definitely here.
    Snotweed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sickdog5 View Post
    Probably Maples.

Anybody check their hives lately for food? With this extended cold and rainy weather im concerned they don't have enough yet i don't want to open up the brood next to make sure as they will be chilled brood
    Terrence

I still have my feeding shim and quilt box on with sugar bricks and pollen sub inside. Mine have brought in pollen and nectar on the good days, but she has brooded up so am glad I still have them on with all of this cold, rainy weather. Last week they were still eating sugar and pollen. Kaizen raises a legit concern. Especially if she brooded up fast. J

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    I still have my feeding shim and quilt box on with sugar bricks and pollen sub inside. Mine have brought in pollen and nectar on the good days, but she has brooded up so am glad I still have them on with all of this cold, rainy weather. Last week they were still eating sugar and pollen. Kaizen raises a legit concern. Especially if she brooded up fast. J
    I took off my feeders awhile ago so more of a concern for me. guess i'll be mixing up some syrup just in case. i had emerging brood a month ago.
    Terrence

I put on a PP and will add some syrup, I think mine are low on food.

I installed 2, 3 lb packages on 4/12 and also a walk away split from my surviving hive on 4/20. I have been feeding sugar syrup since packages and split were installed they are consuming 1 qt per 3 days the two packages are doing well have lots of nectar and pollen mostly bright orange and a soft yellow. I have not opened the walk away split as of yet other than to replace feeding jar with a new one. All hives are very active when temps are above 60. I am picking up 2 nucs. this weekend and will be putting them in 10 frame deeps 5 drawn frames as well as what ever the nucs are. I am planning on feeding sugar syrup up until the middle of May. I am hoping nectar flow will be strong and hives will have completely built out the bottom super so I can add a second deep to all 5 hives . If I am really lucky they will draw out frames and I will actually be able to add a honey super and actually be able to reap some honey this year. If not as long as the bees have ample supply I will always look forward to next year.

Where. The. Heck. Are. The. Dandelions.

I see a post I made a few years ago now that saw dandelions on April 18th. Today is May 1st and nothing. Hello. Who stole all the dandelions.

we are loaded with dandelions

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast