Anybody Try this Swarm Trap?

Default Anybody Try this Swarm Trap?

So, I've been trying to find anyone who has tried this swarm trap. I won't waste my time trying to explain it in words, so here is a link to one you can look at on amazon https://amzn.to/2ClIwbw. Basically it is a swarm trap made out of canvas, that looks almost like a basket. Anyway, I'm thinking about buying and trying them out. What do you experienced folks think. I've done a fair bit of swarm trapping, generally with my older woodenware, but this thing seems light and looks like it could be hoisted up in a tree, or anywhere, really easily. What do you think? Worth giving it a try?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Anybody Try this Swarm Trap?

It could work for sure. I just would want to have to cut out the combs they would build after a few days. I, however, love using deeps with a screwed on bottom board and a sliding/ventilated entrance cover. They build the combs straight and with the deep I don't have to get to it right away. Stands are chest high. While I know my set up might not be what the bees IDEALLY want they seem to have no problem flying into them and making it easy.

Having something like that hanging in the beeyards (acting as a scion) to catch any that might try to get away could work well.
    Kamon Reynolds https://youtu.be/RX-JxsOvb80 Swarm Control

I think I read that they are fairly common in E Europe and Russia. Perhaps GregV will chime in. J

As Tennessee's Bees said, I imagine it would work but I prefer boxes where I don't have to go through the trouble of cutting the comb out. I also try to avoid specialty equipment when I can. Just MHO.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Thanks everybody. Those are the same concerns I have. I definitely prefer to have standardized equipment. Everything I have is 10 frame deeps or 5 frame Nucs. I just don't like my equipment out being used as swarm traps. I'm going to purchase a couple of these and see if they are worth having around. I'll report what I find out.
    I think the biggest thing these would offer is the fact that they might be a little less enticing for bee thieves to steal. I've had several traps disappear in the past. The sad thing is that they were probably stolen by fellow beekeepers. I think these bags, or whatever they are, might be less enticing to steal. You can't keep the bees in them, so they aren't as valuable as nucs or 10-frame hives. The thing is, for $8 a piece I could probably just build more boxes.

That is a bummer about the stole traps! Lets us know how they work for you.
    Kamon Reynolds https://youtu.be/RX-JxsOvb80 Swarm Control

yeah, that sucks. If they were close, I would put up a game camera to see which of my fellow beekeeping friends is a thief. Then take the appropriate action. J