Bucket feeder

Thread: Bucket feeder

Default Bucket feeder

What size holes,for inverted 1 gallon bucket feeder?On top of the hive for syrup.
    Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bucket feeder

We weld in a 304 SS screen.

Crazy Roland

Drill bit 1/16 inch makes a hole that works well. Eight to twelve holes are usually all that are necessary.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

I use jars with plastic lids and have only three small holes, 1/16" and it seems to me that a 'hungry' hive can suck through thus three holes two pints a day while a hive not needing it doesn't touch it.

Joerg K.
    Summ Summ Bienchen summ herum

Be aware that wildly spaced holes are more apt to leak if on an angle than a screen in the center of the lid.

Crazy Roland

Screens in lid get propolized.

1/16 or similar sized. Anything around that size is fine. Drill about a dozen holes as mentioned and you're all set. I like to roughly double the amount of prepared cans that I actually feed with. Then when it's time to add more syrup, I fill the extra cans on the tailgate of the truck and then just open the hive and swap the cans out. I'm in and out of a hive in seconds. I clean up the old cans and get them ready for the next swap.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    That's what I have observed too. Anyone have an easy solution to this problem? I've tried a heat gun, which works, but its a fine line between too hot and not.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

In my experience the bees will propolize the screens but only to manage the flow of syrup in my experience. When they want more syrup, they can just as easily remove the propolis as they put it on. I fed my bees using 1 gallon bucket feeders the entire Winter this year but I also insulated the area the feeder buckets were on top of the inner cover.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    That's what I have observed too. Anyone have an easy solution to this problem? I've tried a heat gun, which works, but its a fine line between too hot and not.
    Yes, 190 proof grain alcohol. Dip an old toothbrush in the bottle, brush it on both sides of the screen for a few seconds and rinse with water...works great.
    I learned this from someone who makes propolis tincture. She was actually using vodka.

Edited to say “190” proof grain alcohol.
    Last edited by SWM; 03-18-2019 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWM View Post
    Yes, 90 proof grain alcohol. Dip an old toothbrush in the bottle, brush it on both sides of the screen for a few seconds and rinse with water...works great.
    I learned this from someone who makes propolis tincture. She was actually using vodka.
    Nice! Thanks for the tip.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

I use an ice pick. Just barely puncture the lid from the outer side. The numbers of holes is dependent on the size of the hive. Usually somewhere between 3 & 6.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    Anyone have an easy solution to this problem?
    hranilica_20180907_104325.jpg

Mr. Palmer, you must not have literate bees. We post a note "Do not Propolize", and have no problems. Or maybe your screen is different. We have screens from the 70's that are still clean.

Crazy Roland

Don't know what to say. Had hundreds when I bought out Chazy orchards. All had propolized screens...unusable. Poked holes in screens with hive tool. Don't bother using them any more. I think they're in a barn over in Chazy.

When the buckets are left on hives empty thats when they propolise. At least thats what mine do.

Throw them in a pale of 90% isopropyl alcohol over night, pull out clean in the morning! Do not pore the residue down the drain.

I use a one gallon zip lock bag with 3 qt. of syrup. Lay it on the inner cover. Place an empty super around it, and the top on that super. Costs $.10 and never gets propolised. Oh, VERY important, just a 1" slit in the air bubble. Any larger hole and you will come back to a bag full of bees! My bees usually empty the bag in 48 hours. Every other method I have tried was slower. Did I mention, nothing to clean up? Just throw the empty in the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Typically that only happens when the feeder pail is empty for an extended period of time....
    www.capitalbeesupply.com
    Manufacturers and Purveyors of Fine Beekeeping Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBeehives View Post
    I use a one gallon zip lock bag with 3 qt. of syrup. Lay it on the inner cover. Place an empty super around it, and the top on that super. Costs $.10 and never gets propolised. Oh, VERY important, just a 1" slit in the air bubble. Any larger hole and you will come back to a bag full of bees! My bees usually empty the bag in 48 hours. Every other method I have tried was slower. Did I mention, nothing to clean up? Just throw the empty in the trash.
    Could you show a pic of this?