False swarm??

Thread: False swarm??

Default False swarm??

About 2:15 this afternoon I had a swarm issue from a resource hive and light in a tree. When I got back with the ladder I noticed the cluster looked much smaller. At the top of the ladder the cluster was about the size of a tennis ball. I looked back and the swarm seemed to be on the face of the resource hive. I got down and walked over to see the bees were going into the hive. So I started looking through the cluster adhered to the side of the box. No queen I could detect. I went through each frame (eight total) and could not find a queen cell. My queens are not clipped so I am very confused about what went on. I am looking for thoughts on what happened. Just confuzzled.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: False swarm??

You did not see the queen going into the box from the cluster on the outside and you did not see a Queen Cell while you were in the box looking through the frames. But did you find the queen when you were looking through the frames? Just making sure I understand the situation (not that I think I will be much help).

Default Re: False swarm??

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    You did not see the queen going into the box from the cluster on the outside and you did not see a Queen Cell while you were in the box looking through the frames. But did you find the queen when you were looking through the frames? Just making sure I understand the situation (not that I think I will be much help).
    I did not. I was tempted to go get the shaker box with a queen excluder on it but with the temps in the 60's I decided the presence of eggs means she was there as much as three days ago. I may take a look again tomorrow and I may split them to relieve some of the population pressure. I have never seen a swarm return to a hive before.