Eggs, eggs, eggs, for 3 weeks, but no capped brood? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Eggs, eggs, eggs, for 3 weeks, but no capped brood?

well my next idea would be to post it to bee-l, they have some retired researchers etc on there that may have an idea. I've had it happen when I was making queens with a jenter kit and the queen layed droned eggs in it, they were fine until you removed them from their normal position in the frame to being vertical, the bees cleaned them out. the other thing, I would assume beltsville wouldn't be busy this time of year, send them a piece of comb with the eggs or lava in them to see if you have EFB
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

well one more possibility, but I can't find what affect it has on bees.

Other plants which have toxic pollen are Spathodea campanulata and Ochroma lagopus. Both the pollen and nectar of the California Buckeye (Aesculus californica) are toxic to honeybees, and it is thought that other members of the Buckeye family are also.
    Aesculus californica is summer deciduous, sometimes defoliating in early July, and it is the first tree leafing out each year. It grows during the wet winter and spring months when its neighbors are dormant, and enters dormancy in mid to late summer. In cooler coastal climates, the leaves may last through mid-autumn
    I would assume you are in the wet winter spring months? and since you guys are having wetter than normal weather, would cause different plants than normal to give off resources.
    mike syracuse ny

from a search in bee-l a part of a post from 1997, their new search doesn't appear to let me put a link to the post but this does sound interesting, but I haven't been able to verify that this post is correct information but the guy did seem to know what he was talking about.

I couldn't find any info about whether honey from buckeye is a problem for
    people.
    Vansell also recommended moving bees if they were in an area with much
    buckeye. He also said that queens became affected, becoming incapable of
    laying fertile eggs until moved to another area.
    At one time a old time bee breeder had a line of
    > bees that were not affected by Buckeye. I don't know if anyone continues
    > with them today, they were naturally dark gentle bees and very productive.
    so according to this the queen couldn't lay fertile eggs

figured out how to get a link

https://community.lsoft.com/scripts/...=BEE-L&P=R4198
    mike syracuse ny

Thanks! I don't think we have any of those buckeyes around here. I just googled Aesculus californica, Aesculus parvia, and Aesculus hippocastanum, and I don't recognize any of those leaves or flowers.

But keep the ideas coming! I have an EFB kit en route by USPS Priority Mail, and I may drive over to Pierce Beekeeping today to pick up some Terramycin, if they'll sell it to me without doctor's note.
    Painted Peacock Manor, Palos Verdes, CA

Referring back to number 19 and 20 if you are in a suburban area there is agriculture all around you when that lawn care guy comes out and sprays whatever he has in his tank on the neighbor's lawn.
    Bill

Maybe they don't like the cameras.. ��

Seriously, how are you handling data transfer? Radio signals can cause strange behavior. Among many other things I've read that electrical lines impact flight paths and wax building, but certainly can't prove they weren't smoking something at the time of writing.

All my BeeCams are Power-over-Ethernet, so there's not a lot of RF noise. And the cameras have been up for 2 years, and I noticed no change in behavior pre and post installation.

But yes, I'm considering all factors!

Pierce Beekeeping today to pick up some Terramycin, if they'll sell it to me without doctor's note.
    They aren't likely to - it would be against the law. And they probably wouldn't want you naming them as a supplier, if they did.

Do the test, and see what you find.

Nancy

^^Yes, will do!

What kind of bees do you have. Minn hygenic bees had a problem being to hygenic. When an egg hatched the bees saw it as a parasite and removed the larva. They had to go back a couple generations to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by grwaskom View Post
    What kind of bees do you have. Minn hygenic bees had a problem being to hygenic. When an egg hatched the bees saw it as a parasite and removed the larva. They had to go back a couple generations to fix it.
    Feral swarms captured last spring.

I was going to ask you about having a prolonged wet winter by you. Thst wouldkeep the bees in the hives and not foraging (migh5 be cannabilizing as was mentioned) Deb
    Proverbs 16:24

But if they were starving, wouldn't she stop laying?

Anyway, I was able to . . . obtain some Tetra Bee (not from Pierce, and I'm not saying who, so don't ask!), and I applied it yesterday.

I'm also feeding 1:1 syrup to see if I can perk them up, even though it's been warm-ish and sunny the last few days.

I should know if this is working by the weekend.

and what ever you tax you get less

waterbug;
    I am going to risk sounding like a complete idiot here. But hey, it wont be the first time in my life.
    Do you have ants coming into your hives?
    I had a hive early in my bee keeping years with ants coming into the hive and I thought nothing of it. I began to notice my numbers were not so great and not building. I began to think maybe the queen was gone, but she was still there.
    Before long the entire colony up and left and not an egg or larvae was in the hive.
    They had no reason to stick around in that hive without brood to tend.
    I did a little research and found out ants can rob out the entire hive of larvae in no time at all.
    I assumed the bees would keep the ants out, but I was incorrect. What did I know, I was only a couple years in to bee keeping.
    I later observed in another hive, ants carrying larvae out of the hive one after another.
    I began using diatomaceous earth around the hives, every place an ant could get on the hive stands.
    I no longer had ants getting into my hives and had no more loss of larvae from the hives.
    And have never had another colony abscond from the hive since.
    I would have to think if you had some sort of disease in the hive you would see affected larvae as the bees would not likely be able to remove them all so fast you would not see the affected larvae.
    Just my thoughts and something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Grounded View Post
    Do you have ants coming into your hives?
    A very good question! Thanks!

I did have ants a few months ago, but then I renewed my TangleFoot application, and I haven't seen any ants in 3-4 weeks.

But yes, in previous seasons I have had hives destroyed by those little black . . . buggers in 24 hours or less!

I am flabbergasted that you treated before you could test, with test kits already on the way! I'm sorry, but that's not a good idea. Perhaps I should have mentioned this before, but the therapeutic effect of OTC takes just days. I saw 5 day old larvae (when I hadn't seen any before) after the first dose's interval as I was preparing for the second one just four days later. Your tests may now be negative, and you won't know if you've had it or not. Since knowing you have a positive test has huge implications for that hive, those bees, and indeed, of all your colonies in the same yard, plus all of your shared equipment and tools, it's really critical to test before treating.

If you do the test now, and it is negative - then what? How will you know what to do? If the bees empirically "respond" to the TetraBee (whatever strength of OTC it may be), will you consider it proof of having had EFB and undertake the considerable effort that is required to eliminate it from your yard? The antibiotic may have nothing to do with the improvement. And it may have "cured" something else besides EFB which was the cause of the symptoms.

If you do/did have EFB, it's not like the sniffles. To remove the future risk of a recurrence a fair amount of time-consuming, annoying, obsessive diligence, and often quite expensive effort needs to be made. Just read the threads of people who try to struggle along with half measures, year after year, hoping for the best despite having repeated outbreaks.

Maybe I was just lucky, or maybe the single-minded focus I put on making that effort is what allowed me to treat only one time and not have a recurrence. This is only my second spring from that time, so I am still holding my breath, but my hives look good.

If I hadn't known, for sure, that it was EFB, I would have been often been tempted to cut corners on all the tedious effort and considerable cost I had to make to try to prevent a recurrence.

Nancy

I was taking the advice of the person who gave me the Tetra-Bee, as he said that my hives were dying a little bit every single day, which is true.

I'll go back in tomorrow morning and see how they're doing.

So I applied Tetra-Bee on the 12th, the 16th, the 19th, and 23rd, just to be sure. I'd also fed each of them 2 quarts of 1:1 during that same time.

On the 19th I saw a very small patch of capped brood one one frame in one of the hives that looked to be approximately normal. It was a circular patch about 4" in diameter, and it was spotty, but it had flat cappings that looked normal.

The other hive had the same old symptoms--lots of eggs, but not worker brood.

On the 23rd the situation was largely the same--a small amount of capped brood in one hive, and nothing in the second hive.

I'm thinking I might have one drone layer, and maybe two. That first hive might have a poorly mated queen, and the 2nd may have an unmated queen.

In the interim I also collected my first swarm of the season, so on the 23rd I donated a frame of fresh eggs from it to the 2nd colony.

Will a drone laying colony raise a queen cell? Or do I need to kill the old queen first?

i would kill the old queen first. wait 24 hours. then introduce a frame of open brood and eggs with adhering nurse bees.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast