New Colorado Beekeeper
    Fountain, colorado, southern Elpaso county

Default New Colorado Beekeeper

New colorado Beekeper checking in. Southern Elpaso county along Fountain Creek.
    I have been beekeeping for almost three years now. My hives are being kept in a shed, due to an incident with a bear within two weeks of setting up my first hive. I have not been treating for mites and the bees are doing well.
    All of my hives are from local swarms. My first hive came from a swarm from the Golden area.
    The second hive is from the first hive that swarmed on Sept 1st 2017 this same year. I managed to keep them alive through the winter of 2017. Both these hives are very strong.
    My third hive is from my neighbors tree which lost a limb last September 2018. They absconded and moved into my swarm trap I still had set up.
    These bees are small cell bees, which I am trying to keep alive through this winter 2018-2019.
    So far my mite counts on all my hives are very low to nonexsistant. I am curiouse if this has to do with the wild hops that grows on my property along the creek. I wonder if there has been any studies on the hops flower and the might population. I know Hopp guard is made from the hops flower, but I dont know if the bees foraging on these flowers would be the reason my bees are virtually might free. I do believe there is a direct correlation with this theory, but would like some proof, other than what I have observed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: New Colorado Beekeeper

Welcome to The Source from your neck of the woods! Sounds like you have some genetics worth propagating from, whether or not your correlation is correct. As in an enclosed shed? I would check with the DOW to see if you qualify for their big game management program (where they supply an electric fence).
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

Yup they are in an enclosed shed. They have entrances to the outside world. The shed actually keeps the cold winds from blowing directly on the hives. This, I believe helps the bees with maintaining the temperature inside the hives.
    When I inspect the hives, I just open the windows and the bees go out. I dont mind keeping them in the shed. I checked with the DOW when the bear got into my hive. I didnt qualify at the time, I cant remember why.
    The bees have been a fun and relaxing distraction. I find inspecting the hives to be quite relaxing.
    I caught three swarms last year in my area. One of which I kept.
    Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome and continued good luck w/ your bees.
    Rod

Welcome! Now I want to take a trip back to Colorado! Minus the bear!
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

Do you have pictures of the shed setup? I was thinking of doing something similar, and have absolutely no idea how that works. I ordered my first supplies yesterday and will be ordering bees in the next few weeks.

Let me see if i can figure out how to post pictures of my shed and entrances. Please excuse the mess in the pics. This shed is used for more than just the bees. The first pic is of the entrance for one of my big hives. The second as well. The third pic is of my late swarm catch last late Septenber. They have the round entrance and are small cell bees. I Blocked the entrance on this hive and drilled a hole into the hive so i could put a clear tube between the holes. The two big hives. I cut a slit into the shed and built a full sized entrance between the outer slit and inside hive entrance. I believe i perfer the tube style. It is much easier.
    When i work the bees. I simply open up the windows and generally the doors on the shed. As a bit of added information. This shed is two story and initially construcked for a greenhouse down below and storage upstairs. This puts the bees flight path above ground level which my family and guests like. If you have more questions feel free to ask.
    I just know this keeps the wind off the hives and more than likely increases survival rate and yes the shed is powered by solar.
    Three of three hives made it through the winter! The two big hives will be split in the next couple of weeks. They are busting at the seams with bees and they are starting to construct swarm cells.

Can anyone else open the pictures??