OAV versus OAD?

Thread: OAV versus OAD?

Question OAV versus OAD?

I don't recall if this has been debated in the forum, but I don't have a file of it in the ol' data bank, so ....

Is it adequate to do a dribble consistently rather than vaporization? Is there a significant variation in effectiveness between the 2, or in any associated bee mortality?

I don't have the OAV equipment, am on "restricted funds" now, and I'm not technical either, so a dribble is a nice, safe way to administer the treatments.

Anybody have a strong feeling one way or the other? I'd be obliged for thoughts on it ....

Mitch

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: OAV versus OAD?

See this........
    http://www.sussex.ac.uk/lasi/sussexplan/varroamites
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

I've used OAD due to cost considerations (I'm small scale) as well as location issues (I'd have to lug a car battery a long ways by hand to reach my hives). It works well, and I've had good mite drops following OAD. My understanding, however, is that you should avoid repeated applications over short periods of time, as that can be toxic to the bees. I OAD only once or twice per year - during the winter broodless period, and during broodless period following a split.

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    See this........
    http://www.sussex.ac.uk/lasi/sussexplan/varroamites

Obliged, snl; not so encouraging to me, that (per article) OAV is superior in efficacy to OAD. I don't have much choice, though. And something's better than nothing ....

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by SuiGeneris View Post
    I've used OAD due to cost considerations (I'm small scale) as well as location issues (I'd have to lug a car battery a long ways by hand to reach my hives). It works well, and I've had good mite drops following OAD. My understanding, however, is that you should avoid repeated applications over short periods of time, as that can be toxic to the bees. I OAD only once or twice per year - during the winter broodless period, and during broodless period following a split.

Bryan
    Ditto, Bry; just not worth all the headaches. Good advice re: frequency. I plan to use Apivar strips in early July (I alternate with OA), but may even do a 2nd tx (using OAD) a while later. I'll have to research to see if that would be overkill. Since (from what I hear) varroa are endemic nearly everywhere/all the time now, a random tx (broodless conditions) could be warranted ...

Mitch

That test showed best on Winter bees. Were they clustered or not? Would that make a difference? I believe so, OAV would remain and get them as they break cluster. OAD would run off a cluster and drop to the bottom.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.