Putting out swarm traps 2019 - a personal video

Default Putting out swarm traps 2019 - a personal video

I am putting out swarm traps early this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slA7ExPdujc
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Putting out swarm traps 2019 - a personal video

another good video dan!

(the groaning adds realism)

i also use 5 over 5 nuc boxes leaving most of the room empty, have them facing southerly, and use lemongrass oil on a q-tip. i use queen juice (pinched queens soaking in alcohol) on the other side of the q-tip.

i've got to get mine out soon, thanks for the inspiration!
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Thanks Dan, good stuff. Clearly, I've been using too many frames in my traps. Gonna be a tough sell convincing my wife we need a tree house but I'll give it my best shot.
    5 Production colonies, 1 side by side 5 frame nuc for support- 7 working queens is all I want.

Post Re: Putting out swarm traps 2019 - a personal video

Good Stuff Dan! I never thought about double nuc boxes. I will try that this year since I have plenty of spares.

PS. I'm watching this with 2" of fresh snow and slop on the ground.

I have a small beeyard on the property of a hunting lodge. As it is no longer hunting season, I asked the owner if I could put traps on their permanent deer stands. I’m sure I’ll do a video when I place those.
    I expect that will include some serious groaning....those things are pretty tall.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    PS. I'm watching this with 2" of fresh snow and slop on the ground.
    I don't envy you...today.
    On the other hand when we hit our dearth and you guys are in the middle of your flow....different story.

Great video. It just so happens I have an unfinished tree house in my bee(back)yard. I'll probably put one up this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by bobsbasicbees View Post
    Great video. It just so happens I have an unfinished tree house in my bee(back)yard. I'll probably put one up this weekend!
    Thanks.
    I can't tell where you are located but here swarm season is upon us.
    PS you may want to go into your Beesource set up and enter a location. It helps when people reply to have an idea where you are.

You might try setting a few traps down on ground level to see if you don't catch just as many. I catch lots about 18" -30" of the ground. It would save you a lot of ladder climbing and groaning.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Thanks.
    I can't tell where you are located but here swarm season is upon us.
    PS you may want to go into your Beesource set up and enter a location. It helps when people reply to have an idea where you are.
    I'll definitely update my profile but I'm in Dallas GA NW of Atlanta. I've got a hive body in my treehouse now that's getting quite a bit of attention. FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    You might try setting a few traps down on ground level to see if you don't catch just as many. I catch lots about 18" -30" of the ground. It would save you a lot of ladder climbing and groaning.
    Actually I do. I have only caught one swarm in them in the past three years.
    15 feet above them....different story.