Michael Palmer's video on "Brood Bombs"

Default Michael Palmer's video on "Brood Bombs"

A question came to mind while watching this video. Michael uses his brood bombs to revitalize weaker colonies that could benefit by insertion of additional brood. I don't believe he really said if he shakes the bees off the brood frame before giving it to the weaker hive, or if he gives the frame of brood with its bees? Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Michael Palmer's video on "Brood Bombs"

just the capped brood.
    Help is here to never misplace that hive tool again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvwlSiOzgOU

deleted
    Last edited by sc-bee; 03-06-2019 at 08:48 PM.
    sc-bee

I won't speak for him, but I'm pretty positive he's talked many times about leaving the bees on and not having an issue. I don't know why they would have a problem. I leave the bees on and don't ever have an issue. As long as you don't bring the queen with for the ride. Also consider that if a colony needs a boost it might also not have enough bees to deal with the additional brood. While capped brood is pretty low maintenance, it does still need to be kept warm.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    I won't speak for him, but I'm pretty positive he's talked many times about leaving the bees on and not having an issue. I don't know why they would have a problem. I leave the bees on and don't ever have an issue. As long as you don't bring the queen with for the ride. Also consider that if a colony needs a boost it might also not have enough bees to deal with the additional brood. While capped brood is pretty low maintenance, it does still need to be kept warm.

No need to shake off the bees. If you feed it's necessary, try this...Just give an light shake...sort of a vibration not trying to shake off all the bees. The old bees will fall off and the young bees will hang on. Takes a bit of practice. Most noticeable with open brood.