Did I apply it right and what to do now? Swarm commander.

Question Did I apply it right and what to do now? Swarm commander.

I got some vials of swarm commander. I applied it to the entrance and on some of the bars as directed.

It was later I saw the posts from people saying to put the cotton swab in a ziplock bag partially open bag to make it last longer. I was not aware of this technique so I did not.

So... what would you do? Reapply in the same way a couple of weeks from now, or use the ziplock bag method in a couple of weeks. Or something else? I'm concerned about overdoing it.

I do already have some old brood comb in there.
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Did I apply it right and what to do now? Swarm commander.

What you did will work just fine bees will smell it no problem
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

When I used swarm commander I applied it according to the instructions. When I would check the traps….if I could still smell it, I left it as is. If my memory serves me I generally had to reapply every two weeks.
    With lemongrass oil, I dip both ends of a qtip in it and place the qtip on top of a frame. Then I dip one end of a qtip and drop it onto the bottom board of the trap. Same as with sc…I reapplied when I could no longer detect the smell.
    No baggies.
    I don’t claim to be an expert but I’ve caught plenty of swarms using these methods.
    I hope to get my traps out this week. I’ve already had one hive swarm.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Thanks for the advice.

I guess I don't trust my smell, because I don't remember smelling anything at all in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    When I used swarm commander I applied it according to the instructions. When I would check the traps….if I could still smell it, I left it as is. If my memory serves me I generally had to reapply every two weeks.
    With lemongrass oil, I dip both ends of a qtip in it and place the qtip on top of a frame. Then I dip one end of a qtip and drop it onto the bottom board of the trap. Same as with sc…I reapplied when I could no longer detect the smell.
    No baggies.
    I don’t claim to be an expert but I’ve caught plenty of swarms using these methods.
    I hope to get my traps out this week. I’ve already had one hive swarm.
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzow View Post
    I guess I don't trust my smell, because I don't remember smelling anything at all in the first place.
    Wow! Your smeller must be totally broken!
    Swarm Commander smells VERY strongly.....just like lemongrass oil.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

By the way, last spring I ran a side by side comparison of Swarm Commander and lemongrass oil.
    I caught 5 swarms in the SC baited traps and 5 in the lemongrass oil traps.
    Not a conclusive trial but…..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJDIlE-XJq8&t=257s

i used the spray last year and this year but i just sprayed a little on a frame before setting out the trap and then one spray on the entrance. I think i was 3/5 last year (1st year trapping). i'm south of you guys but i have caught 2 swarms this year already. Worried they may not make it because of this cold spell though.

Oh boy. Maybe I got some bad stuff.
    Wow! Your smeller must be totally broken!
    Swarm Commander smells VERY strongly.....just like lemongrass oil.

Oh boy. Maybe I got some bad stuff.
    Let me put it this way. If the fellow who makes Swarm Commander didn’t insist otherwise, I would be convinced that Swarm Commander was really lemongrass oil. Same smell….just as strong…although about three times as expensive. Admittedly….the little spritzy bottle is nice.

Let me put it this way. If the fellow who makes Swarm Commander didn’t insist otherwise, I would be convinced that Swarm Commander was really lemongrass oil. Same smell….just as strong…although about three times as expensive. Admittedly….the little spritzy bottle is nice.
    So true....smells just like LGO.

A good role of thumb is a little goes a long way
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

I caught 19 swarms with 22 traps. I only use lemongrass oil. I place 5 or more drops on the top of the top bar of the frames. No baggie and no q tips. I tried putting sugar in 3 of the traps and caught ants otherwise 100% effective. I place my traps about 5 or 6 feet off the ground in a small tree near flowering plants like blackberry or wild flowers. I am sure that swarm commander will work but lemongrass oil is only $3.99 a bottle and works just as good.

Do you just apply once a year?

Quote Originally Posted by eschnell View Post
    I caught 19 swarms with 22 traps. I only use lemongrass oil. I place 5 or more drops on the top of the top bar of the frames. No baggie and no q tips. I tried putting sugar in 3 of the traps and caught ants otherwise 100% effective. I place my traps about 5 or 6 feet off the ground in a small tree near flowering plants like blackberry or wild flowers. I am sure that swarm commander will work but lemongrass oil is only $3.99 a bottle and works just as good.

You know, maybe I wasn't trying hard enough with the sniffer. I stuck my nose right next the entrance. I can smell it now.

Do you just apply once a year?
    I only applied lemon grass oil once. All my swarm boxes had bees in them within a couple of weeks. Some of the boxes right away. Location is important. Not so much woods but rather areas with smaller trees near flowering plants. Mid May is our time to catch bees (southern Indiana). So I set my traps around the 1st of May.