de crystallize a 3000 gallon poly tank

Default de crystallize a 3000 gallon poly tank

so...i've got about 2 feet of sugared up HFCS 55 in the bottom of a couple tanks. Anyone have any good ideas how to heat it up? It's outside and way too heavy for a ski loader to move still, so it is on the ground and not moving.

right now....wait until june is the plan...
    Jason Hough, Mount Airy, Maryland
    443.962.7226 woodcampfarm.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: de crystallize a 3000 gallon poly tank

thx for the reply mike - but 3000 gallon - not 55 gallon
    Jason Hough, Mount Airy, Maryland
    443.962.7226 woodcampfarm.com

If you are planning on reusing the syrup you will have to be careful not to elevate the levels of HMF which can make it harmful to bees. Being a poly tank does not make things easy. If it was an open top, dropping in a coil of pex line and circulating hot water through the line, is a common heat transfer method to a storage tank.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by maryland honey bees View Post
    thx for the reply mike - but 3000 gallon - not 55 gallon
    Yes, but the band is flexible and will fit on any round tank. I've used them on drums and on 1000 lb. honey tanks. Just need a piece of wire to connect spring and hook. Set it on low. HFCS 55 melts very easily and doesn't need high heat.

If it's in direct sunlight come spring that will do some of the work for you.

try to inject some water via a pump at the exit point of the tank, once the water makes a path to the top of the crystalized syrup, start mixing via water circulation. add 10% water by volume to help keep it all flowing.

If it's on the ground or close to, you could get some oil filled space heaters and a big tarp and put over the entire thing to help bring up the temps. It doesn't have to get that warm to start decrystalization.

FYI, if you add/mix 10% water(and a touch of hypochlorite) at the end of the season while it's still liquid it will vastly reduce crystallization and stay stable enough to use next season.

Aaron
    Aaron

If you choose to add water or if you have ever added water to this tank, DO NOT crawl inside. The inevitable fermentation and resulting CO2 can cause you to pass out and die within minutes. I know personally of more than one tragedy involving closed top poly tanks.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I have a 12 foot piece of shielded and sealed self regulating heat tracing. It is similiar to the product that is sold for ice dams on buildings, but regulates to 120 deg. F. It MAY be an Eaton product. WE have used it by wrapping it around a 55 gallon barrel, and covering with insulation. Unlike a band heater, it can not burn the product.

Crazy Roland

Or how about a small hot water tank with some pex and a small pump to move the water. Just thinking out loud.

It is going to require the input of a lot of Btu's. Both to raise the temperature of the mass and to effect the change of state of the solids. Need some insulation to keep the heat from dissipating as quickly as it is applied. Needing to keep temperature of source low enough to prevent damage to the tank relates to a large contact area if applied externally. Once liquified enough to be circulated, heat could be applied to it externally.
    Frank

Last time that happened to me I used water and used a pole to mix it best I could... I then pumped it out as grainy watery liquid.. If i remember right it took me a few hours and had to mix/pump several times. I did not use it and it went to waste.
    Young queens - Tanner Christianson

Buy a 220w element from home depot,add it to a female end pvc. Wire it and fill the other end with epoxy to seal the connection. Drop into the tote but dont hit the bottom or else you will melt a hole in the bottom. Circulate the syrup next day and add water. I hang a chunk of steel to the element to keep it from floating.

You might have a thread below the tank to add a element once you empty it out.