Feeding crashed and strained drones back to the bees - beneficial

Default Feeding crashed and strained drones back to the bees - beneficial

Very shortly - feeding your bees with the crushed-and-strained drone larvae is beneficial.

Mix with sugar syrup - at 10%.

Google translated from:

https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/ho...evogo-rasploda

The effect of stimulating feeding by the drone brood homogenate on the economically useful traits of honey bees: the growth and development of families, honey productivity, winter hardiness. It has been established that adding 10% of the drone brood homogenate to supplemental feeding contributes to reducing feed consumption in winter (by 10.3%), reducing the number of dead bees (by 30.0%), increasing capped brood (in the total for three accounts in spring by 25.8%, in the autumn by 8.9%), honey harvest by 18.1%, etc.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Feeding crashed and strained drones back to the bees - beneficial

That is in the man is too smart for his own good category in my view. A lot like feeding ground up sheep to cattle.
    Virus and virus.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Randy Oliver added crushed bees to the syrup or something on one of his experiments to "equalize virus'" or something like that. It had VERY DETRIMENTAL results as I remember (been a while since I read it). I would be very cautious about adding crushed bees, drones or otherwise as it would be a great way to spread virus like wildfire.

Quote Originally Posted by vtbeeguy View Post
    Randy Oliver added crushed bees to the syrup or something on one of his experiments to "equalize virus'" or something like that. It had VERY DETRIMENTAL results as I remember (been a while since I read it). I would be very cautious about adding crushed bees, drones or otherwise as it would be a great way to spread virus like wildfire.
    goes back to the old organic gardening days, grind up the bugs that you are having a problem with and spray the rest to spread any virus's, was really effective some times. I remember Randy O's article about that.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

I fully anticipated the reactions of "Virus and virus" types.
    However, I am sure the researchers of the published paper surely were aware of the same.

Yet, the paper is out.
    They put their names on the line.
    They did the claims like this one:
    reducing the number of dead bees (by 30.0%),
    And so - it is easy to anonymously shoot down things on a forum, have no supporting data for/against, and have no payback doing so.
    Another thing entirely is to publicly set out a research-based claim.

In any case, I would not jump to quick conclusions.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

I've heard this before. Search for Caspian solution. Caspian bees.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    However, I am sure the researchers of the published paper surely were aware of the same.

Yet, the paper is out.

And so - it is easy to anonymously shoot down things on a forum, have no supporting data for/against, and have no payback doing so.

Not jumping at all. How many years did it take to find feeding sheep to cows has draw backs.
    Short term test results are just that. Short term.

How many great human drugs are followed up years later with "you may be entitled".

Yet, the paper is out.

Greg: I must be missing something. Isn't the purpose of this forum to discuss things? Can't someone offer an opinion unless their opinion is supported by data, experiments, peer review, being published etc? This is not a scientific journal. It is a place for all people with varying degrees of education and experience to learn from each other. At least that's why I am here. I have no idea if the idea is a good one or not. I would like to hear various opinions to help me make an informed decision. J

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    Not jumping at all. How many years did it take to find feeding sheep to cows has draw backs.
    Short term test results are just that. Short term.

How many great human drugs are followed up years later with "you may be entitled".
    I started taking low dose aspirin 10 years ago based on my Dr.'s advice after he read a study promoting the benefits for people like me. About 5 years ago, I stopped drinking coffee and wine, and eating butter based on the latest studies my Dr. read. In the past year, I have stopped taking low dose aspirin, started drinking coffee and wine and eating butter on the advice of my Dr based on the latest studies he read. Point well-taken. J

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    Greg: I must be missing something. Isn't the purpose of this forum to discuss things? .... J
    This is exactly why I brought this up.

It is just sounds as if some participants here "tested this already and know the answer".
    Not the case, obviously.
    No one around tested this to know the answer

I wish I heard - "I tried this and my bees died".
    OK - now this would be something to consider and not to try it maybe.

Meanwhile, I here quote from another forum (I translate):

...........Fed crushed or uncapped drone brood. From early spring, the bee develops explosively. Nothing negative was noticed, only pluses. There was no need for preservation (of the drone larvae).......

........I have been testing this for many years..........
    From: http://www.pchelovod.info/index.php?...post&p=1417767

The poster was also reminded by the other posters of the virus spreading issues - which he refuted as a non-issue (as for him).

Importantly, the poster of the drone-feeding is coming from Russian Far East per his signature.
    (those particular Russian bees may indeed be virus resistant - if viruses are of concern).

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    We are not discussing an artificial drug - to be sure.

Meanwhile, bees will consume any crashed larvae like crazy.
    Crashed larvae is highly valuable food - obvious by observation.

Ok Greg. Sorry but it sounded like you were cutting off discussion. Since that is not the case I will offer a couple observations. I read the abstract and will admit that it was a bit difficult to understand but the study was done with 15 hives as I understand it. Is that correct? I also can't seem to understand whether or not the drone feed also contained pollen. It seems that it was, but was it in all groups? What I would like to know is how much of the beneficial effects were from crushed drones or just what you expect from a good quality like protein.
    Finally, the point about human drugs was to point out that studies that "prove" something is good for you may later be proved bad for you after further study (time) Also, the study was done 10 years ago. I would think it would be taken up by beekeepers and feed companies if it worked as well as it is claimed. J

Crashed larvae is highly valuable food - obvious by observation.
    Good point. Bees are a bit cannibal. Cannibals are more adapted to eating their own than non cannibals.

No one around tested this to know the answer.
    Not true. It was pointed out by a couple people that Randy Oliver tried it and had bad results.

You ignore the results of a well respected researcher that disagree with what you want to believe, while accusing others of being close-minded - what’s up with that? :-)

Last edited by shinbone; 03-09-2019 at 08:06 AM.
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

Fantastic!
    This is the type of magic I've been waiting for!

Unbelievable how advanced other countries are in their beekeeping compard to the dopes in America.
    Thank you so much for helping revolutionize beekeeping by pointing out such important cutting edge work.

Maybe I should mix this into palmers pollen patty recipe
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c