Bearding On Swarm Trap

Default Bearding On Swarm Trap

So I am a little new to trapping bees so maybe you can help me with advice. Had a rather large swarm move into and onto my swarm trap yesterday. Was all looking really good until this morning I go out there and the majority of bees appear to be bearded near entrance. A huge beard! Should I give them time to see if they go in the trap on their own? Or try to scoop them into another box then get remaining frames and bees from trap? Supposed to rain alot tomorrow so I need to get this done today. Thanks in advance for suggestions!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bearding On Swarm Trap

Big swarm, little box? Sounds like they need a bigger place to call home.

Given tthe urgency, I would put them in a 10 frame with several drawn combs and a queen excluder UNDER the bottom box and above the bottom board. Tranfer the bees and leave the trap there for several days if possible. Make sure the queen cannot get back out, no upper entrance. Then screen the opening and take them home.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

It's a pretty decent size box. Built it last weekend, 5 frame extra deep 40 quart. By extra deep I mean probably a good 5" of empty space under frames.

Prior posters report too much swarm lure will cause them to beard outside.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

You did not happen to spray any lemongrass or swarm commander under the bottom of the box did you.

Just a little swarm commander on q-tip inside box and a spray or two on top of middle frame

I would try to hive them and hope it does rain tomorrow and for the next week. It may be a 2nd swarm or as above.
    If you can get them into a hive you save a step and maybe catch another in the trap.

Quote Originally Posted by june-bug View Post
    It's a pretty decent size box. Built it last weekend, 5 frame extra deep 40 quart. By extra deep I mean probably a good 5" of empty space under frames.
    Reads like it "should" be big enough, but that depends on the size of the swarm. More importantly, you wrote they all moved in & now are bearding (hanging outside of the box). I would try to get them into 10 frame equipment before they possibly decide to look elsewhere. Do you think the majority of the bees are outside or inside the box?
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

what's on the frames? comb, plastic or wax foundation, foundationless?
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    Prior posters report too much swarm lure will cause them to beard outside.
    that is my thinking also.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Big swarm, little box? Sounds like they need a bigger place to call home.

Given tthe urgency, I would put them in a 10 frame with several drawn combs and a queen excluder UNDER the bottom box and above the bottom board. Tranfer the bees and leave the trap there for several days if possible. Make sure the queen cannot get back out, no upper entrance. Then screen the opening and take them home.
    I second this.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

either way in or out of the trap, it is a swarm, get them in a hive asap.

Caution; the excluder trick is situational, use only when you are sure it is a primary swarm.
    The queen excluder is not a good idea later in the season when a virgin may head the swarm.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    Caution; the excluder trick is situational, use only when you are sure it is a primary swarm.
    The queen excluder is not a good idea later in the season when a virgin may head the swarm.
    Very true. I should have mentioned that as well for others reading the post. The assumption here is that this is a primary swarm due to how early it is.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Very true. I should have mentioned that as well for others reading the post. The assumption here is that this is a primary swarm due to how early it is.
    I knew you did. I was thinking of later on in the rooky season of someone digging this thread up in a panic.

20190301_154535-01_1551476902935.jpg20190301_201355-01_1551547808447.jpg So I was able to successfully move them into a 10 frame deep and relocate them to my bee yard. They appear to be doing well and have orientated and accepted the new location just fine. I'm pretty sure that the reason they didnt go into the box was due to too much swarm commander lure. You live and you learn. Still not bad for my first try. Thanks for all of the tips and advice!

Not bad?
    You got the swarm to land where you could find it and reach it. 100% success in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by june-bug View Post
    20190301_154535-01_1551476902935.jpg20190301_201355-01_1551547808447.jpg I'm pretty sure that the reason they didnt go into the box was due to too much swarm commander lure. You live and you learn. Still not bad for my first try. Thanks for all of the tips and advice!
    June-bug,

Great job, and nice trap. It looks like about 10# of bees. I had exactly exactly the same experience last year - too much lure.

Incidentally, I raised the lid to look into the trap earlier the swarm arrived, and a couple dozen scout bees were zipping crazily around like they were on fire.

Any vents on the box. ,the leaves are too sparce for shade.