Country Ham

Thread: Country Ham

Default Country Ham

If I stipulate that honey could be used in the recipe, can we discuss making country hams? Since it is March and temperatures are still regularly below zero F my cabin fever has me thinking. Under how cold a condition can country hams be made? I read where core temperatures should stay between 30-35 degrees and in my latitude, we go from beautiful balmy freezing nights and seventies days to average temps in the twenties and lower in a very short time. Anyone familiar with the process will know what my question concerns. What ham curing takes place with the ham frozen hard as a brick?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Country Ham

A friend of mine gave me a smoked ham that was glazed with honey and brown sugar while still hot. The honey and Brown sugar melted into every pore. It was delicious.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    A friend of mine gave me a smoked ham that was glazed with honey and brown sugar while still hot. The honey and Brown sugar melted into every pore. It was delicious.

Alex
    I tried doing it the same way and it was fantastic!

I would have no issue substituting honey for molasses in this recipe. It is from Charcuterie by Ruhlman. All the recipes I have made from that book are excellent.

20190331_103703.jpg
    Last edited by Steve in PA; 03-31-2019 at 10:34 AM.