National Honey Show AFB/EFB Typing and Chronic Bee Paralysis Virus by Kirsty Stainton

Default National Honey Show AFB/EFB Typing and Chronic Bee Paralysis Virus by Kirsty Stainton

https://youtu.be/z0B9o4GHq7U

This is a great video, worthwhile watching.
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: National Honey Show AFB/EFB Typing and Chronic Bee Paralysis Virus by Kirsty Stai

Thanks for posting it. J

Default Re: National Honey Show AFB/EFB Typing and Chronic Bee Paralysis Virus by Kirsty Stai

I did not know that there are multiple different strains of EFB!

Thanks.
    Frank

Enjambres (Nancy from NY) had posted the horrible problem she had with EFB maybe 2 years ago? Since hearing what she went through I have 0 tolerance for EFB. Deb

It would be so much less trouble if you spot it when it is only in one colony and before you combine some weak ones with healthy ones Dealing with mites is a piece of cake by comparison!
    Frank

Yes mites are better (can’t believe I said that)! We caught a swarm last year, a small one, ended up having EFB. Those bees were killed and hive equipment trashed, I am paranoid about things like this in my apiary. What I found promising in the video is the antivirals the scientists are developing for DWV and CBPV. Deb

this was a really interesting talk!

Good post - thanks.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Yes it was a good video. I find good breeding keeps the EFB away. Whenever we have an issue we requeen and shake some extra bees in to help the colony right itself. At one point I had nearly 100 colonies come down with EFB.
    Kamon Reynolds https://youtu.be/VQ9T1mCo5l4 Grafting Queens

Be cautious about diagnosing EFB on your hive, as it could be something less drastic. Last year I was dead sure I had EFB. The hive had all the characteristic of it. A bursting at the seams nuc went from 5 frames to a two frame population in 6 weeks. Did the quick test and was negative, sent sample to the USDA and negative. All I did was move the hive from the location it was at and within a week everything changed for the better. While I was talking to the home owner, where I had the nuc, he told me the lake in his community is treated for mosquitoes. So, the small dose of pesticide in the water was being fed to the larva. Not strong enough to kill the adult bees. If you search on the web, you will see that poisoning of the larva mimics EFB. Also EFB can be treated with anti-biotics, AFB not.
    Last edited by roberto487; 03-03-2019 at 02:43 PM.

Roberto, what were the symptoms that you observed? I am curious about what the similarities are with EFB and poisoning, especially with larvae. J

The main thing is not to be in denial, hoping that a case of EFB is something likely to pass without treating. With the wisdom of hindsight I would take the position of assuming the worst if symptoms suggested one of the foulbroods and start quarantine until positive identification is made. Certainly dont do any combining of weak hives.
    Frank

I noticed yellowing, browning, drying and some larva pointing their head out. When I sent samples to the USDA, the yellowish and brownish larva broke as I picked them. Much of the samples I sent was smeared on the comb. Looking through EFB pictures on the Web, I was convinced at first that what I was experiencing was EFB. A second nuc I brought in, started displaying the same symptoms, 3 days later. I didn't believe the negative results of home test kit I did, so I sent it to the USDA. Once that test came back negative, I moved the hives to see if it was something in the area. And it was. The poisoning could had come from the lake water or garden spray.

Here are some pictures that I posted about my faux EFB

https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...79#post1648479

very good video. I've watched it 3 times already and pick up something new each time. I've enjoyed Michael Smith video uploads too.

Thanks Roberto. I would have suspected EFB also. But, I suppose it is best to assume it could be AFB or EFB so one takes the necessary precautions. J

Certainly looks like EFB.
    Frank

Considering how quickly bacteria and viruses change, I think its pretty safe to say that all pathogens have more than one type. Lots of mysterious die outs are probably a result of subjecting bees to new types they haven't seen before as a result of moving bees.

What I learned from the video is some of my hives have Chronic Bee Paralysis Virus; 3 hives had piles on dead bees on the ground in front of entrance (one of those hives was a Saskatraz Queen the one that obviously didnít swarm) last Summer/Fall. I thought it was some type of poisoning but no, it fit her (Kirsten S.) picture and profile of what could cause this to manifest in a hive, wet weather keeping the bees inside and big hives. Very discouraging, and having a hive with n. cerana too. Iíll be busy this Spring.
    I did manage to find a listing of all the videos from the National Honey Show for the past few years. Iíll post the link. Deb

http://www.honeyshow.co.uk/lecture-videos.php

The good news is that some bees have resistance to N. ceranae. Question is how many human caused epidemics must we have before we consider changing our ways?