location no longer required?

Default location no longer required?

I really hate it. It seems like every new poster I see doesn't have any location listed. I have no idea if I'm talking to someone in Key West or Anchorage. My replies may well be different for each.
    I am pretty sure that it used to be required.
    Why no longer?
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: location no longer required?

I sallied forth and jousted with the dragon, but it slayeth me.

VerticalScope's response to my earlier request to continue 'required' location, more or less, was that it was simply too complicated for them.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Beemandan,
    Do you know where to enter your location? I have not been able to find a place to put it in. I may have missed it when I signed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Pyatt View Post
    Do you know where to enter your location?
    Its under "Settings" at the very top of the page, then look to the left side for "Edit Profile".

Or click this: https://www.beesource.com/forums/pro...do=editprofile

Note: traditionally, the Location field, once populated (which was required), was not able to be edited by members (by design). Updates to the Location field needed intervention by a Mod/Admin. So I'm not sure, under the new setup, whether that field is editable by members or not once the field is initially populated. For those that would like to update their location field, and find that they cannot, please PM a moderator and we can do that.

Note that Mods may evaluate your IP address location when processing Location field updates.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I agree. We should encourage all new posters to edit their profile to display a location. They can be as general as a State or USDA Zone. We don't need to know how to find them. Just how to relate to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Pyatt View Post
    Beemandan,
    Do you know where to enter your location? I have not been able to find a place to put it in. I may have missed it when I signed up.
    You're lookin' good now!
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

If that fails or as a temporary measure, you can put it in your signature line.
    Frank

Cool, the location now an editable data field. I just changed mine from Richmond, which is 28 miles away, to my actual town.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Yep, feels good to have a home again. (^:

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post

VerticalScope's response to my earlier request to continue 'required' location, more or less, was that it was simply too complicated for them.
    simple enough people, don't answer questions for people that don't have a location, let the dragon deal with that
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    simple enough people, don't answer questions for people that don't have a location, let the dragon deal with that
    ^^^That was my thinking as well.

Hello there,

User profile fields during registration are something we're trying to get back on.
    Unfortunately, I don't have news on this yet but it is something that was mentioned multiple times.
    The workaround is to get the location edited in their User CP.

Very sorry for the inconvenience,

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    simple enough people, don't answer questions for people that don't have a location,
    I doubt that most newcomers fail to enter their location in an effort to conceal it but just don't realize that it is even possible and meaningful to enter it.
    It wouldn't be productive to turn a cold shoulder to new members simply because they aren't prompted for a location entry when they sign up.

Seems to me we should just point out the issue to the poster and ask that they update their profile and explain that it is for their benefit.

The best way would be to ask the member for location details in your reply, or mention to them they can update it in their profile.
    -
    JB