It isn't even March yet!

Default It isn't even March yet!

My hives have loads of drones and lots of callow bees (newly emerged). And it ain't even March!
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: It isn't even March yet!

I have a few that are on the verge of an explosion really quick.Wall to wall capped brood and some drones crawling around.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    My hives have loads of drones and lots of callow bees (newly emerged). And it ain't even March!
    I opened one of my 5 frame overwintered nucs this week end and it was packed with eggs and larvae. I had to add another nuc deep box.
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives

dont work to hard down there you southern guys

Quote Originally Posted by COAL REAPER View Post
    dont work to hard down there you southern guys
    I lived in Andover Ma for a while, so I at least understand what y'all are going though.
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives

Quote Originally Posted by Ddawg View Post
    I opened one of my 5 frame overwintered nucs this week end and it was packed with eggs and larvae. I had to add another nuc deep box.
    Georgia and an "overwintered" comment....... sorry ...I had to chuckle at that....it was -14◘F this morning and there is 3' of snow on the ground here.....
    You Southern beeks don't know what winter is....
    Help is here to never misplace that hive tool again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvwlSiOzgOU

Quote Originally Posted by KevinWI View Post
    Georgia and an "overwintered" comment....... sorry ...I had to chuckle at that....it was -14◘F this morning and there is 3' of snow on the ground here.....
    You Southern beeks don't know what winter is....
    Amen brother ! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by KevinWI View Post
    You Southern beeks don't know what winter is....[IMG]file:///C:\Users\harri\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\02\ clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
    Here...the bees produce some brood most of the winter and therefore the mite population grows year round. Add to that the fact that small hive beetles also overwinter in our hives in great numbers....ready to start at the first break in winter.
    I keep a yard in the mountains of NC at an elevation of 3500ft. The overwinter temps run about the same as Ohio. Not Wisconsin but still somewhat north. Rare to see more than a couple of shb. They consume less honey overwinter. And they require one less mite treatment each season.

Just sayin'....we all have different challenges. It ain't easy anywhere.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Meanwhile here in Vermont I have snow on the ground and it may hit 20 today if we are lucky.
    But yes, we all have different challenges. I would hate to deal with some of your problems down south. J

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    So how is that when compared to other years? At what point would you normally see your hives in this state?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcin View Post
    So how is that when compared to other years? At what point would you normally see your hives in this state?
    I would say that we are two weeks ahead of ‘normal’. Ordinarily we would have some worker brood beginning mid to late January and by now we would be seeing a few workers emerging. At the same time, we would see some capped drone brood but not any significant number of emerged drones.

Agree on the two weeks ahead. While not busting out with bees yet, there is a lot of capped brood in many of my hives. Those hives will be double their population in just a week or two. One thing to consider though is that I feed early. Fed early last year too.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.