horizontal resource hive ?????

Default horizontal resource hive ?????

I have been reading and seen some very impressive designs especially docsmaple. I was wondering if it would be possible or actually beneficial to make a horizontal hive that I could divide into 4 ,8 frame lang deeps or 16 for 4 frame nucs . the only reason I thought of this is with limited space (backyard beekeeper ) and using either for a resource hive or an overwintering nuc it would be definitely beneficial to me space wise . I of course am looking for guidance and opinions I am looking for the best overwintering and pop building that I can utilize in the north east. I searched forums but could not find anything regarding a horizontal resource hive. I would also make so I could over winter 8 frame nucs. I am new but trying

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: horizontal resource hive ?????

after watching Mike Palmers sustainable apiary he makes the point bees think vertical not horizontal so I am guessing this idea is dead on the drawing board

Back to the drawing board

Quote Originally Posted by ny12569 View Post
    after watching Mike Palmers sustainable apiary he makes the point bees think vertical not horizontal so I am guessing this idea is dead on the drawing board
    Not at all dead.
    M. Palmer is a commercial, Lang frame beekeeper.
    While he is an expert, he is a commercial Lang expert and views everything through the "commercial Lang prism" and how you run a commercial operation on top of the Lang frame and hive.

You do not have the same priorities or constraints as M. Palmer per your current beek profile.
    Hence you need not to copy them.
    A good horizontal resource hive (for NY as I see) will be running a Dadant frame or deeper (this is how you address the vertical bee thinking).

Check the "horizontal dadant" topic for more details.
    Here: https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...izontal-Dadant
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by ny12569 View Post
    Not at all ....

Here are a couple of 'Quad-Nuc' Long Hives I built for an experiment aimed at determining how close entrances could be without encountering drifting ...
    (Conclusion was that a minimum of 14" entrance separation is desirable)

Having then built them and run the experiment, what to do with them ? So - I stripped-off the entrance gear and made new entrances, one on each side. I now use them to create 4x 5-frame nucs in each. At the time of writing this, both hives are currently housing their full complement of over-wintered nucleus colonies - here's a shot of one showing the new entrances:

The only slight wrinkle I've found with this format is fitting bee-tight Crown Boards (inner covers) over the inner two sections, as I hadn't foreseen shrinkage of the wooden closures. With hindsight I should have fitted wider (1/2" ?) Partition Boards rather than the 3mm rigid polycarbonate I used - the wider surface would then have allowed the Crown Boards to sit on top of the Partition Boards, rather than be a precision fit between them ...
    The use of 'soft' Crown Boards (feed bags, heavy-grade plastic sheet) would have been another more successful option. But - no complaints - they work reasonably ok, as is.

Would I build more of the same ? Not quite - I'd dimension them to take 12" deep frames rather than 8.5" (providing more flexibility/ housing larger colonies for over-wintering etc) - but other than that, as a concept they work really well.

For those hive bodies I used 1.5" thick scaffold board - but if your local conditions are challenging, you might want to consider two thinner boards with insulation sandwiched between them.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

LJ; How do you manage clean out of bottom boards?
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    LJ will answer, I am sure.

My version - I simply scoop out the stuff with a 2-3 inch wide paint scraper. It is that trivial.
    Remember, with long hives you always have times when a third-hive/a half-hive is empty (end of the winter, for example).
    Heck, you can fix/maintain/modify one half of the hive while bees doing their stuff in the other half.
    You can even feed bees like so (having a new split cleaning up results of C&S extraction; good for them; good for me):
    20180712_155204.jpg

All those dances with bottom boards originate from small hives (8-10-12 frames) where you have no space to work inside the box.
    Bottom cleaning is not a long hive problem (well, unless you want to get sophisticated).
    Last edited by GregV; 02-27-2019 at 08:00 AM.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

I am going to look into this a bit more if I decide to build I will let you all know and post some pics

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Hi Frank - sorry about the late reply - I posted and then quickly logged-off.

As Greg has already said - cleaning-out Long Hives is not really an issue. Just as he does, I use a wide paint/wall-paper scraper. With full-length hives I either clean whatever I can get access to - or - if needs be, I pull eleven or so frames and stash them in a standard brood box to give me more access for a few minutes. Then gently move the crud along the bottom towards the back, then into a corner to be finally lifted out with the scraper and flung across the grass, where I assume ants and worms deal with it.

With those Quad-Nuc Long Hives it's a slightly different story. I wait until 'Changeover Day' - that is, when I pull the existing established nucs and replace them with 'starters'. On a fine day around midday, I remove all the anti-robbing screens and insert corks into the entrance holes. That keeps the lion's-share of the foragers out of the box. Then - without using smoke - I pull each set of nuc frames in turn and deposit them in whatever box they're destined for.
    Having checked for no queens amongst the remaining stragglers, I then pull-out the dividers and clean the bottom in the same way as other Long Hives.
    Then the dividers are replaced, and new frames/combs are inserted into each section along with their bees. I leave the Crown Boards/inner covers slightly open to allow any mature bees to 'return home'. Then, after an hour or so, I pull the corks, replace the anti-robbing screens, and allow those colonies to settle down. Each new nuc therefore retains the foragers from the previous nuc.

Going into a box housing four colonies without smoke and causing a mega disruption always causes chaos, and invariably there's a need to work through the cloud of bees which results.

These Quad boxes are not my first choice (I much prefer one colony, one box) but then I very much subscribe to Michael Palmer's philosophy of "Use what you have" ...

... so I do.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/