March Madness Sale Monopoly - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: March Madness Sale Monopoly

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I would expect that the delay in producing the 2019 catalog would be figuring out how to integrate the Kelley and Brushy products.
    I noticed they are offering the styrofoam mini nucs.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NorthMaine View Post
    I got the Mann Lake catalog today, seems twice as thick as last year's catalog if I remember correctly, but I haven't looked through it yet. "cutting the cost of printing and shipping thousands of catalogs" Doesn't appear to be the case.
    I got my ML catalogue today. It is thicker, 219 total pages as compared to last year's 187 pages. Got see what is new and "improved" (besides the pricing).

Edit: So the extra pages are primarily devoted to chickens.
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 03-05-2019 at 04:40 PM.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Maybe they are going the same way Brushy Mountain went out of business. They receive a loan to upgrade by a third party and had to raise prices. Mann lake bought out Kelly with a third party and there prices are going up. I would like Brushy Mountain back for all the small hobbyist.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post

Edit: So the extra pages are primarily devoted to chickens.
    I want chickens. I am trying to convince the HOA to let me have chickens

Chickens and bees go together like peanut butter and jelly. Mann Lake has realized that and is trying to cash in. Next year they will probably start selling live birds. I plan on getting a dozen chicks from the local co op as soon as we start warming up. I am kinda partial to Rhode Island Reds.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

They have to offset the financial losses from ticked off beekeepers with chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by HONEYGUY1973 View Post
    Well I will use my catalog as fire starter I have already called them and voiced my concerns about changing prices at the last minute .. I found a new company called Earl E. BEE check them out they are out of Indiana and Antler Ridge has good buys in bulk if your buying boxes and they are put together . I'm not supporting a bunch of investors and the old timers that were using Kelley are highly upset and going elsewhere.. Hit them where it hurts I'm done with Monopoly Lake
    I just ordered from Earl E. BEE a second nicot queen rearing system for 25.99. I got the same set from Mann Lake for $89.95 2 years ago. I have wanted a second set but didn't want to spend that much again. Good to see such an affordable price at Earl EB.

I also ordered from Mann Lake three days ago 100 medium unassembled frames, and though I haven't checked what I paid in the past for the same purchase, I know it's close at $1 per frame. Plus they had my favorite hive tool on sale which I have misplaced my first one (ez pry) and happy to get it $5 off. Throw in another 9% off, I'm ok with that.

Thanks for the lead on Earl E. BEE.

Last fall I got 50 commercial grade cypress mediums from Rossman. They were easy to put together plus nails were included. There was a 20% off code at that time with free shipping, so each box was $12.80.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Chickens and bees go together like peanut butter and jelly. Mann Lake has realized that and is trying to cash in. Next year they will probably start selling live birds. I plan on getting a dozen chicks from the local co op as soon as we start warming up. I am kinda partial to Rhode Island Reds.
    Rhode Island Reds are great layers. Maybe some of the best layers I have ever had. The only negatives are that I have found them to be a little aggressive (they are bullies if you mix them with chickens from a different flock) and they are a touch loud (even the hens). I live in a residential neighborhood. I have found that Buff Orpingtons are quiet and fairly docile. They do not lay as well as the Rhode Islands, but they put out a lot more eggs than my family can eat or give away.

Quote Originally Posted by bevy's honeybees View Post
    I just ordered from Earl E. BEE a second nicot queen rearing system for 25.99. I got the same set from Mann Lake for $89.95 2 years ago. I have wanted a second set but didn't want to spend that much again. Good to see such an affordable price at Earl EB.

I also ordered from Mann Lake three days ago 100 medium unassembled frames, and though I haven't checked what I paid in the past for the same purchase, I know it's close at $1 per frame. Plus they had my favorite hive tool on sale which I have misplaced my first one (ez pry) and happy to get it $5 off. Throw in another 9% off, I'm ok with that.

Thanks for the lead on Earl E. BEE.

Last fall I got 50 commercial grade cypress mediums from Rossman. They were easy to put together plus nails were included. There was a 20% off code at that time with free shipping, so each box was $12.80.
    Your welcome !! Itís time beekeepers look out for beekeepers and post deals that they are getting .

forest hill woodworking just east of lancaster, pa

Ditto the thanks on Earl E. Bee. Found my fave hive tool there for less than $6. It is ~$18 at Kelley. More deals too, but for now I only ordered a tool for each yard.

I am fortunate to have an Amish woodenware maker about 3 hours drive from me. Worth it to drive there a couple of times a year and load up, his stuff is cypress and cheaper, er, make that MUCH cheaper now, than ML.

I buy much more from Kelley than I ever did ML. Kelley's frame prices have shot up, and have ML part numbers, Worse comes to worse, I'll go with BeeLine in MI.

Anybody business-inclined enough to join up and give 'em some serious competition? I have a new saw design that cranks out a HELLo of a lot of parts in a hurry. I can make all kinds of box & frame designs. I need a new workshop. PM me if you are interested.

I just got an $800 settlement from Harbor Freight from a class action law suit for doing the same thing. Making price comparisons to fake prices!

HoneyGuy,

I know it is a distance for you to travel, but beeks in middle TN and upper middle AL can make the trip to Lawrenceburg, TN. The county is on the AL/TN line.

There is a Amish family that makes 8 and 10 frame equipment along with nucs. Everything they make is from Arkansas cypress that the father mills at his mill. They also sell frames. I am not sure if they make the frames now or still purchasing them from another Amish guy out of state. I have purchased almost all of their woodware. BBs, Deeps, Mediums, Shallows, ICs, OCs. All have performed well.

They have quality woodware and prices way below the companies mention above. I can't find their address at the moment but I know another beek who does. We have both gone down there together and alone to purchase equipment. It very unusual not to see someone driving up or leaving while I am there. People travel a good ways to purchase their equipment for the price and quality. They also sell excluders cheaper than I could buy them from the catalogs. I know they purchase them from Kelly or another company.

They only correspond by US mail. I have never asked them if they ship. But I don't know why they wouldn't.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by USCBeeMan View Post
    HoneyGuy,

I know it is a distance for you to travel, but beeks in middle TN and upper middle AL can make the trip to Lawrenceburg, TN. The county is on the AL/TN line.

There is a Amish family that makes 8 and 10 frame equipment along with nucs. Everything they make is from Arkansas cypress that the father mills at his mill. They also sell frames. I am not sure if they make the frames now or still purchasing them from another Amish guy out of state. I have purchased almost all of their woodware. BBs, Deeps, Mediums, Shallows, ICs, OCs. All have performed well.

They have quality woodware and prices way below the companies mention above. I can't find their address at the moment but I know another beek who does. We have both gone down there together and alone to purchase equipment. It very unusual not to see someone driving up or leaving while I am there. People travel a good ways to purchase their equipment for the price and quality. They also sell excluders cheaper than I could buy them from the catalogs. I know they purchase them from Kelly or another company.

They only correspond by US mail. I have never asked them if they ship. But I don't know why they wouldn't.

Yes, Pete and Albert Zook make really good woodenware, one is in Kentucky and the other is in Tennessee. I hear they are really good people. I will drive just about anywhere if it saves me money and is a great deal. Beekeeping companies are getting to be like a used car lot anymore you have your good ones and bad ones and I always try to inform new beeks where to save money .

I buy my woodenware from Albert Zook and it is a good deal. I believe he started buying his frames a few years ago, and he has just started using Acorn foundation. You can get wax foundation if you want it, although it is more expenisve. Nice people, and he doesnt even keep bees.

Yes, Albert. Albert took over the sales about 3 years ago. They really built him a nice shop and whare house. I started out buying from his dad, Mose. Some years back. Mose is more friendly than Albert, but he has dealt more one on one with us outsiders. Not only does Mose mill the boards for Albert's business, he also mills siding for houses. Including rounded boards that look like logs.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Wow, nearly 90% negative input regarding Mann Lake.

Is there anything at all good about them or should we all scratch them off our list?

FYI, I was happy to order several hundred of their economy boxes for $8.50. Also, they knocked off $50 on the Provap.

Neil at the Woodland store has always treated us well, answered massive questions, and has been incredibly professional.

No complaints here...but yeah, we do live 45 minutes away from them...

We probably should not be bashing Mann Lake/ Kelley quite so hard, although it is entertaining. Like any business, they need to make a profit in order to stay viable. They offer a good selection of well made products IMO and I will continue to purchase from them those items I cannot make myself. But dang, did you see how much they want for a package? Yikes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123