March Madness Sale Monopoly
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default March Madness Sale Monopoly

I recieved my flyer from Mann Lake today on their March Madness sale ,needless to say I'm not impressed at all . Apparently the bean counter investors arent giving any deals ,unless you live close to a store . I was afraid with buying Kelley and Brushy Mountain assets that this would happen . I dont call a 9 percent discount much of a sale . Kelley's prices have raised as well . Maybe the cost of shipping and the bee craze is dwindling !

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: March Madness Sale Monopoly

being new to the craft I dare not speak to anything other than what I am directly experienced with. I recently bought wood ware unassembled from pierco and it was crap you could not make a square box out of their pre cuts without spending hours filing and adjusting. I have never dealt with mann lake before or Kelley but the hives I bought off of the bay were far superior in craftsmanship than what I received from pierco. This is just my option last year I also bought waxed dipped assembled boxes to start off with from Pierco and they were awesome . just my humble opinion.

Personally, I prefer the Kelley boxes as they are cut to tighter tolerances. I just love a box you need to clamp to get the joints to pull together. The ML boxes are ok but significantly "looser" in trhe joints. I hear Kelley will continue to sell these boxes so I am happy. BTW, the ML frames are the best IMO.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Mann Lake is a good company , I may be overreacting ,but I see now that they have bought out Kelley and acquired Brushys assets that they wont be offering the sales and discounts that they used to have . This is the whole reason I purchased off them for the free shipping and bulk discounts. Many beeks on here have said this is what would happen and from the looks of this flyer I would have to agree. Investors will set the margins and we will pay the price in the end. I buy off all of the big suppliers and some little and will start distributing my money on the little guys if they continue down this path. .

One thing you may want to try is to go to a local bee conference that Mann Lake is participating. Order something and have them bring it to the conference. Shipping is free. I used this on a bulk box of bottles and saved myself around $30 in shipping.

Competition always benefits the consumer. I don't like what I'm seeing here when 3 companies are combined into 1. Mann Lake, Kelley, and Brushy Mountain all began as family owned businesses. When there was no more family to pass it on to this is what happens.

there are a couple screaming deals if you can make it to a store.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Personally, I prefer the Kelley boxes as they are cut to tighter tolerances. I just love a box you need to clamp to get the joints to pull together. The ML boxes are ok but significantly "looser" in trhe joints. I hear Kelley will continue to sell these boxes so I am happy. BTW, the ML frames are the best IMO.
    I liked the old Kelley frames, but they have discontinued them. I have a feeling the Kelley boxes days are numbered too (my opinion, but would it make business sense to keep 2 production lines?). I will be very surprised if nothing more than the name survives, if that, and will be very sad too as I had a family connection to it. Of course, you never know, they may keep whichever line has the better/faster/cheaper equipment so it might go the other way?

With the combination we have lost choice in features/quality just as much as pricing, but I am not planning on any more 'can't beat it deals', but will be happy if proven wrong. But please don't swallow up any more guys I buy from, thank you.
    46.91 N

Although 9% isn't wonderful, I will still order some Apivar and a few other things.
    Having said that, as I looked through the flyer I noticed that their Standard Vented Helmet was listed for $11.95 with the statement 'was $29.95'. Looking in my 2018 catalog I see it at $14.95.
    A bit sleazy.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Looking in my 2018 catalog I see it at $14.95. A bit sleazy.
    I wonder how many emails I will get about the sale? I bet the new price for the year will be 29.95. They are famous for putting things on sale or in the bee bucks blast, and then have the current price go up.
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

Yeah, after getting 11% off and then going to only 9%off; that 2% difference will make you pause, funny isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoor N8 View Post
    Yeah, after getting 11% off and then going to only 9%off; that 2% difference will make you pause, funny isn't it.
    Unless it becomes 7% next year....and so on.
    And items in the most recent catalog that were selling for 14.95 become 29.95 in the next.
    Before you know it....you may have pretty good reason to take pause.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Unless it becomes 7% next year....and so on.
    And items in the most recent catalog that were selling for 14.95 become 29.95 in the next.
    Before you know it....you may have pretty good reason to take pause.
    You are correct Dan and if you go and compare prices from last year things have raised in prices .. ultrabee has raised 10 bucks . The discount is not a discount . Dadant and the people that advertise on here can have my hard earned money from now on. Raising prices and playing us as fools will be their downfall..

i ordered some frames and foundation a few days before........with a bunch of other stuff. free shipping. Looking at the sale price vs what i paid i'm still making out vs paying for shipping. still the best prices taking into account the shipping.
    Terrence

There are a lot of things that could be said, but one thing is a definite. A business must be profitable to stay in business. If Brushy and Kelley were so profitable then they would still be in business or would not have sold. It is also possible that the Kelley owners were smart enough to see a profitable exit strategy and pounced on it. I dont know the details, and I am guessing none or most of us really do. I have bought and sold 13 businesses. Some people flip houses for fun, I did businesses. I have no idea what it cost to run a beekeeping supply business, but it seems that currently Mann Lake has a good idea what it does. Here is an example. You harvest your honey, put it in a jar and sell it. How much do you sell it for??? Most will sell it for what the market will bear, and that seems to be what a successful business does as well.

I put on a router table this year. I have one fella who fancies himself a wood worker and I subbed some small jobs out to him. I usually buy from ML in the fall on the "mill cut" sale by the pallet load. If prices keep climbing I can see a planer in my future.

I see lots of comments regarding Mann Lake sales but no comments at all about Dadant. In fact, I hardly ever see them mentioned at all. Is there a reason for that?

Make no mistake. I buy from Mann Lake and Dadant. I’m not complaining yet I do realize that less competition could lead to gouging. I haven’t seen it yet.
    I just ordered Apivar for the year. 9% is better than full retail.
    I will be ordering Apiguard from Dadant soon.
    Otherwise….I think I’m good on everything for the year…….thank goodness.

I was following the extractor motor on Mann Lake. It has been $685 for as long as I have followed it. It just went to $729 prior to the sale. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    I was following the extractor motor on Mann Lake. It has been $685 for as long as I have followed it. It just went to $729 prior to the sale. Coincidence?
    Yes I needed to order 100 metal excluders and they raised the price 2 dollars at the last minute right before the sale . Needless to say I still have 2500 bucks in my bee account that will be spent elsewhere . A few commercial beeks are even posting on Facebook about this . Like Dan thank goodness I have enough supplies for now . Maybe those bean counter investors will see the loss in sales .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast