attach trap to tree - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: attach trap to tree

Yunzow,

Sorry for the delay, didn't see your question!

I confess mine are all confiscated from poachers. I live on a wildlife preserve that's part of Quality Deer Management Area. My farm is the designated sanctuary area (no hunting of any kind) for the co-op. Sanctuaries are specific areas which provide good cover, water, natural feeding and bedding areas to lower the animals' stress. There are always well-marked boundaries and responsible hunters know better than to hunt in the sanctuary area, even though there is lots of game here.

But from time to time, some dope pushes his luck and sneaks in and mounts a tree stand high up in a tree. The things is that I walk my land all the time and I usually discover the stand, and remove it. If they have not injured the tree, I will usually let them have it back (after I give them a piece of my mind.). But if they have also driven spikes up into the tree to use as footholds and cut off branches so they could have a better sight lines, the tree stand is mine. I take serious exception to damaging trees in my woodlot.

If you google portable tree stand, you'll see how they work. I think they cost between $50-125. Some have little rope ladders that you could climb to check on the swarm box (not to carry it back down - you'd have to lower it by rope. ) I don't have any of those because that kind doesn't require the user to put spikes in the tree to get to it, so I'll give them back. My fave one is a Cabela's model, but they have them at Dick's, too, probably for a lot less money. I don't leave them up year round because I don't want to girdle the tree with the straps.

A tree stand would allow you move the swarm trap site, without harming the tree at all. Sometimes it takes awhile to find the magic tree that seems to collect swarms more often. Sort like an ultra-violet flashing sign that says, Yunzow's Famous Bee Motel, with the bee equivalent of free wi-fi, a complimentary all you can eat breakfast and a great ocean-front view.

Nancy

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by enjambres View Post
    Sort like an ultra-violet flashing sign that says, Yunzow's Famous Bee Motel, with the bee equivalent of free wi-fi, a complimentary all you can eat breakfast and a great ocean-front view.
    Great word picture, Nancy. You always have a good way with words.

Russ

Hey, y'all,

I ended up using the 1x4, drill hole, nail approach in combination with a strap for stabilization. Seems pretty stable so far. Thanks for all the tips!

Thanks,
    Thomas
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

Hanging is too much work. Thirty eight catches last year, down from 70 the years before. LGO works as well as SCL but I bought a new bottle any ways. Got to beat Charlie this year, he really made me look bad. First picture is what happens when you use to much lure. Last picture they did not fit, we drove down and put in a 10 frame box.

I am working on my secret lure formula this year which will insure a glorious victory over Ollie!!! (Once again)

C8D19261-C59B-4732-B490-3988C6EC0B2E.jpg

It's not very secret when you publish a picture of commonly available lures here on Beesource. That's all you got?
    What you didn't tell the readers that good old Ollie is supplying a battleground for our competition a few miles up the road from where several of our fellow club members will have over 100 hives fresh back from almond pollination. Having caught nice baited swarms at this site for several years, I am hoping that this season will be like fishing at a trout farm.
    Not only that, I will let Charlie join me trapping at a new site a mile from his club's apiary. The first competitor to lure in a marked queen gets a steak dinner. It's so sad that neither of us have a shred of good morals when it comes to setting traplines near our competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    I am working on my secret lure formula this year which will insure a glorious victory over Ollie!!! (Once again)

C8D19261-C59B-4732-B490-3988C6EC0B2E.jpg
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

First of all Ollie, I did not have All of my ingredients in the picture. I’m very smart like that!

Secondly, I will be forever grateful to you for inviting me on the mother of all poaches and the future steak dinner!

In all my bee yards I keep up to 5 bait hives, on cinder block stands on the ground, right where I want them to stay. Yesterday I went to one of my yards because I noticed that my backyard bait hives were under serious investigation. I had my lemongrass q tips ready to add to them. Out of the 5 bait hives, 3 were already occupied. Doesn't seem to matter whether nuc or 10 frame, they find them and move in. I may have new colonies in my back yard. I will check tomorrow.

I learned this from odfrank and so grateful!

It's very early for this many swarms. This week I need to get to all my yards and get those bait hives ready. It's going to be a good year for swarms.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

>I learned this from odfrank and so grateful!

Yes, my generosity in sharing the knowledge I have accumulated over 49 years is unparalleled! I have one apiary with five hives all filled by bait swarms. I just set up the hives, give a spritz of lure and wait for them to fill. Maybe there is a such thing as a free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by bevy's honeybees View Post
    In all my bee yards I keep up to 5 bait hives, on cinder block stands on the ground, right where I want them to stay. Yesterday I went to one of my yards because I noticed that my backyard bait hives were under serious investigation. I had my lemongrass q tips ready to add to them. Out of the 5 bait hives, 3 were already occupied. Doesn't seem to matter whether nuc or 10 frame, they find them and move in. I may have new colonies in my back yard. I will check tomorrow.

I learned this from odfrank and so grateful!

It's very early for this many swarms. This week I need to get to all my yards and get those bait hives ready. It's going to be a good year for swarms.
    c

Oh wow, here we go.

Hey, thanks for the pictures. What do you have those traps sitting on top of?

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Hanging is too much work. Thirty eight catches last year, down from 70 the years before. LGO works as well as SCL but I bought a new bottle any ways. Got to beat Charlie this year, he really made me look bad. First picture is what happens when you use to much lure. Last picture they did not fit, we drove down and put in a 10 frame box.
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

Those are 15 gallon plastic nursery pots.

QUOTE=Yunzow;1704725]Hey, thanks for the pictures. What do you have those traps sitting on top of?

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    [/QUOTE]
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

IMG_2924.JPG I try to find a limb to hook this on and then bungee to tree.

Quote Originally Posted by grizz747 View Post
    IMG_2924.JPG I try to find a limb to hook this on and then bungee to tree.
    No need Grizz, just get some 15 gal. nursery pots!

Charlie B. & odfrank - do you have frames in your bait hives? If so are they old, new with foundation or foundationless?

The more old combs the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer View Post
    Charlie B. & odfrank - do you have frames in your bait hives? If so are they old, new with foundation or foundationless?

Glad to see Charlie B and odfrank still going at it. I've found I have more luck when I hang traps 12' to 15' above the ground. I raise them with a rope around a high tree limb then use the rope to hold the trap against the tree. It works out well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11 yrs. 25 Hives T Zone 7a

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12