Turning a Hive 180 degrees

Default Turning a Hive 180 degrees

In 2 outyards, I have boxes on benches that are turned the "wrong" way. Where most of my boxes face Southeast, these are turned around the opposite way (Northwest). I have multiple hives in close proximity in both yards, so if I just spin them around to all face the same way, I have a feeling I will lose a lot of bees to the neighboring hives. Not an enormous deal, but would like to avoid it. Any tips on how to spin the box around without too much drift and confusion?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Turning a Hive 180 degrees

turn them 45* at a time with 5 days of flying weather between turns. you'll not lose bees to drift this way.

stuff some grass in the entrance and turn it at night. They will push the grass out of the way and re-orientate.
    next day. I lake to check back in case they don't get the grass out but have never had an issue. Just my paranoia.

I put an Immerie shim under the bottom box with the little entrance facing the old direction. Bees can still find their way in but will start using the larger main entrance that is now facing the direction you want. After a few weeks, you can take the shim out.

I satrt my nucs alternating directions but spin them before hiving as all hives on a rail face the same direction.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I put an Immerie shim under the bottom box with the little entrance facing the old direction. Bees can still find their way in but will start using the larger main entrance that is now facing the direction you want. After a few weeks, you can take the shim out.

I satrt my nucs alternating directions but spin them before hiving as all hives on a rail face the same direction.
    excellent.

another way is if you have upper entrances, rotate deep box so they use that to get in. like you said , they will eventually use bigger entrance
    Help is here to never misplace that hive tool again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTqB0zcmhmQ

If anyone plans on making a habit of spinning a hive around (such as during Cloake Board operations), then it's easy enough to make a turntable from a Lazy Susan bearing. This one has a 12" bearing underneath an 18" hive - not ideal, but it hasn't toppled over yet ...

But - if you're just engaged in a 'one-off' rotation, then a 45 degree (or thereabouts) turn every few flying days works fine - the bees will adjust ok.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Just spin them and not worry.

I have often wished to move the entrance on my Snelgrove board colonies from the rear, around to the front. Plug off the entrance at rear and open one in the front PLUS smear the old entrance with something smelly. I use my Arthritis Creme that is strong of Wintergreen. The bees do not like it and it helps motivate them to check out front entrance that at least smells familiar even if it is in the wrong place.

The smelly creme might apply to the posted question.
    Frank