Ok to inspect? (and other ??)

Default Ok to inspect? (and other ??)

Roughly three weeks ago, all nine hives appeared to be doing well... flights/activity during warmer days, eating the candy inside the hive. Went out yesterday and one of the hives is dead, tiny cluster between two frames, very large pile (looks like entire hive) of dead bees on bottom board. All cells/comb empty except some brood under the cluster. Appears that I had the sugar too high above them and I'll remember for next time.

I haven't done very thorough inspections yet because even when warm enough to check candy, it's been cool enough that I kept it brief. Now I'm concerned and feel I need to be more thorough with the other hives. I'm in middle TN and will be 67 degrees on Wednesday, with cooler weather (40s high, 20s low) in the 10 day forecast.

Think I'm safe to inspect more thoroughly on Wednesday?
    How can I tell where the cluster WILL be, in order to prevent in the future? When I briefly observed in late Jan, there were bees in top box and getting the candy (the now dead hive).

I hate failing the bees, and after 5 years it's humbling to make what feels like a rookie mistake. Thanks for any insight/direction/aid!

(Note: Varoa count low in late fall, but did Oxalic anyway)
    Since '14, working on Bee.S. degree.... :) Lots to learn!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Ok to inspect? (and other ??)

As long as it’s 60 or better, your good to go for a good inspection. Don’t take too long if it’s breezy out.

Get it done. Open up 20 or so capped brood and look for mites.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillybees View Post
    Get it done. Open up 20 or so capped brood and look for mites.
    I'd be interested to know if OP has any brood. Seems pretty early for Virginia and I assumed TN would be the same but maybe I'm wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidgeBees View Post
    I'd be interested to know if OP has any brood. Seems pretty early for Virginia and I assumed TN would be the same but maybe I'm wrong?
    I would say they do if they are in middle Tennessee in in east Tennessee in the mountains and i checked a few of mine yesterday. seems like most of my colonys have around 3 to 4 frames like this in them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like they made a series of bad decisions. Raising some brood without resources, raising it in the wrong place. If they went into winter with the same resources as the other hives and the other hives did well, then it is not a beekeeper failure.

Also I've had clusters fail in contact with sugar. Might be a hard form of energy for them to take advantage of. Much happier with fondant and feeding sugar water in the fall. Usually my small clusters have lots of food and I have to worry about my large ones. My strategy is slipping frames of food underneath them and because of their size they find it. I also insulate my boxes so the bees have more chance to wander around and not get stuck in one position.

Thanks for the input. As an update, got to a full inspection on the other hives a couple of days later and all were excellent! Even did our first queen capture/marking, primarily on some swarms we caught last year. Here's a vid of one of them if you'd like to watch. My wife is showing off her new vented suit (the old one could almost stand up by itself), and the date's wrong on the vid...
    https://youtu.be/csJFeEzonGo
    Since '14, working on Bee.S. degree.... :) Lots to learn!