Default Re: Bought the Mighty mite thermal... sw Florida

OK, thanks.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kramertep1635 View Post
    I just bought one. Does it only take one treatment?
    I plan to do mine twice a year. Spring build up and Fall as the bee numbers go down and the mite load goes way up. Same schedule I used for OAV.
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives / 5 Nucs / 6th Year / T {OAV & MMK}

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    No i didn't Live Oak i'm not signing up to another secret FB group. Which is why i asked the question here.

Be nice to see it here but if it has to be kept secret, no worries.
    ok the first study was completed in 1997 by Sare USDA funded in Vermont. https://projects.sare.org/project-reports/lne96-066/

here's the links to the European Study. https://www.beehivethermalindustries...otherapy-2015/

here's the link to the 2018 Texas Test Study. https://www.beehivethermalindustries...Case-Study.pdf

Oh, checked your link KingDaddyBee, that FB group was open i was able to find a link showing a study comparing a thermal treatment against a fumigation and the thermal treatment dropped more mites. The table i looked at though was missing later data showing if there were still any mites a couple of weeks and more later, which is really the acid test of wether it worked.
    Define "Any Mites" left... There is no such thing as ZERO mites. Even with a treatment that killed every mite in a hive, you don't treat ALL the bees. Some are not there. So I don't believe a sticky board will ever have zero mites. I never had one, with chemicals, or OAV. The acid test is does it kill Thousands of mites in an infested hive. My first OAV treatment I counted over a thousand every day for three days and never got close to counting all of them. I'd guess the first time I did it there where 10,000 dead mites the first 4 days. But the count would not have been zero 2 or 3 weeks later. The re-infestation begins when the field bees return. I think you've set the bar too high.

The most critical month of the year is August. the mite population peaks in August and in Sept. our queen is laying eggs for the Fat overwinter bees. you need all the nursery bees possible to tend to these over winter bees for a strong colony. Thermal Treatment works when many other chemicals will not due to the high ambient temperatures.

Live Oak, just saw your original link which i somehow missed on first read of the thread. Alcohol wash showed pre treatment 4.66% mite infestation reduced to 0.71% infestation 10 days post treatment. Which equates to an 84.8% reduction in mite numbers. That's the useful data i was looking for.

the studies show that 90 plus percent of the mites are located in the hive body, yes you will have mites that live off the fat body tissue of the bee that don't get treated. the problem is mites under the capped brood which a thermal treatment terminates. also any roaming mites in the hive body are terminated. so terminating 90 percent plus is better than any chemical treatment. the results in 2 weeks is brood frames full of brood and eggs and you get an explosion in the number of bees. i have pictures of beekeepers with 5-6 honey supers full of honey during the pollen flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdaddybee View Post
    so terminating 90 percent plus is better than any chemical treatment.
    Hey what you are doing is great, but let's stick to the truth, the better chemical treatments get 99% + of the mites.

Does anyone have any mite count data showing the effectiveness of this?
    here is a post from a local guy that tried it last year his first year with bees, not exactly what you are looking for mite counts. names removed to protect the innocent.

Yes, I wash before and about a week after. I have some photos I need to find and post. I had about 5 mites before and none after. I counted about 15 mites on the inspection board around 2-3 days after treatment. 3-4days after saw a lot dead bees with mites that had been removed under the caps lying in front of the hive. I also noticed that the bee population of hive really took off after about one month. Since this was my first hive, not sure if this is typical after treatment. I'll look for some of the pictures I took and provide to the post. Thanks
    he never did provide the pictures.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Hey what you are doing is great, but let's stick to the truth, the better chemical treatments get 99% + of the mites.
    Chemical treatments work, but you've got chemicals in your hive. Mites build resistance to chemicals. I don't think it's been proven that they build resistance to thermal treatment. I think it's a good plan for the hobbyist. Don't think it makes any sense for guys with 100+ hives. I've got 14 hives, With 2 MMK I can treat them all over a weekend. You can treat more if you have more units.
    But My limit is 2.... They ain't cheap.

Newzealand! Now that is super cool!

Yes, if i only had a few hives i would probably try this mighty mite thermal blaster myself. We have the worst mites and worst viruses where i am so need to get a good kill twice yearly. At 85% or so kill i'd probably do 2 treatments a week or two apart.

Sounds a great idea for beekeepers who can spend the time and want to be chemical free.

Oh, checked your link KingDaddyBee, that FB group was open i was able to find a link showing a study comparing a thermal treatment against a fumigation and the thermal treatment dropped more mites. The table i looked at though was missing later data showing if there were still any mites a couple of weeks and more later, which is really the acid test of wether it worked.
    the findings by bee keepers is that the bees clean out the dead mites for 10 days to 2 weeks. the Texas study showed a great reduction in the mite count post 10 days after treatment. Finally this year after i've ask for 3 years We have a long term study scheduled starting in June. The most rewarding part about thermal is indeed it's non-chemical, terminates the mites under the capped brood. the bees thrive, almost zero hive loss over-wintering, triple honey production, etc. etc. the Commercial Nuc suppliers have noticed and are now purchasing our 5 frame nuc product and selling their nucs mite free after they tested last year. the good news just keeps getting better. There are nuc suppliers that operate 100 to 200 hives that use 6-10 thermal treatment units. yes it takes longer but well worth the results. also while the treatment process is ongoing they have plenty of other work to do in these larger Apiary's.

the Commercial Nuc suppliers have noticed and are now purchasing our 5 frame nuc product and selling their nucs mite free after they tested last year. the good news just keeps getting better. There are nuc suppliers that operate 100 to 200 hives that use 6-10 each 10 frame thermal treatment units. yes it takes longer but well worth the results. also while the treatment process is ongoing they have plenty of other work to do in these larger Apiary's. this product is too labor intensive for the commercial pollinators but we are working on a solution.

KDB i don't think you need a long term study. Just a before and after mite count is good enough, but it needs to be on a large number of hives. Reason for that is the "study" that i got my figures from, was done on just one hive. The final figure of post treatment levels of 0.71% was based on one bee sample, with 2 mites in it. Obviously by pure chance, there could have easily been one less, or one more, mite in the sample which would have massively skewed results.

For larger beekeepers to give serious consideration to the product this is not good enough, and nor is saying it killed heaps of mites, or saying there are huge hives. Every treatment type kills heaps of mites, and every decent beekeeper has huge hives. What would carry weight is solid pre and post mite count numbers, done on a big enough sample to be statistically valid. This could be accomplished over a 2 or 3 week period, with just a few hours work.

Thermally treating varroa is not an instantaneous Mite kill. All bees are damaged to varying degrees and die off slowly, on moderately loaded hives typically within 14 days. On heavily loaded large colonies it can last up to 21 days then Mite fall ceases. The termination under capped brood systematically is observed by bees removing the brood with dead mites between days 3-7 following treatment.

Thermal is a rock solid varroa management system that cannot be second to anything. I’ve yet to loose a hive to varroa over the last few years. Maximize production and survival - don’t let varroa get a foothold. Thermally treat!

ToweringOakFarm - Cleveland- Southern East Texas

New beekeeper thought process here...I apologize

So can it be said that with the stronger hives being created by the reduction of mite infestation that the hive will be able to keep the wax moths in check?

Im concerned that living in the woods is conducive for moth probems along with the mites.

in my experience wax moth as well as small hive beetle infestations are extremely rare regardless of colony size so long as the colony is otherwise healthy and queenright.

the greater issue with these pests is how much hive volume has to be patrolled by the colony in proportion to how much of the hive the colony is actually clustered on.

i find that i can get away with a lot of unused space most of the time, and unless a colony goes queenless and/or not losing a battle with varroa and/or having other health issues they are rarely bothered moth or beetle infestations.

but as a rule of thumb, and depending on what part of the season it is, it's probably wise to make sure the colony has a little extra space, but not too much.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12