Bought the Mighty mite thermal... sw Florida
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bought the Mighty mite thermal... sw Florida

First time using it. Kept loosing hives so I’m trying this. Got about 30/40 mite after I pulled it out. I put a sticky board at the bottom so we will see how many is on there the next time I check it. I forgot to close the sbb but it still got up to temp and ran the full time. I had to keep the entrance reducer with the 3 inch opening on while it was running or else it wouldn’t have kept the temp up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bought the Mighty mite thermal... sw Florida

how long does it run?
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

About 2 and half hours. It shuts off automatically.

it would be interesting to compare the sticky board counts on days you use it to days you don't use it.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Did I post this in general? I will try the sticky board again in a couple of weeks.

you posted in 'treatment free'. i moved it to 'diseases and pests' because i thought it was a more appropriate subforum and that you would get more feedback here.

Robbin in the Panhandle used one last year and it looks like all his hives made it. The nucs he didn't use it on didn't do so well. What impact did you see on shb? Did they die or just fly away and then return?
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

I think you will be very surprised and satisfied with the Mighty Mite Killer, especially once you get your hives on a regular treatment calendar.

This is the results of the latest case study using the Mighty Mite Killer. For those who may not be aware, the Mighty Mite Killer come in 5, 8, and 10 frame versions.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I just bought one. Does it only take one treatment?

Ideally, you should set up a treatment schedule of treatment about every 120 days but this may vary due to weather and location. This is how I am treating mine. You should also be checking for mite counts to keep up with varroa mite levels in each hive. There are a number of methods to do this ranging from sticky boards to alcohol washes. If you have more questions here is a great place where other Mighty Mite Killer users go to share information, experiences, and ask questions.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2757...rning_content/

Pretty much any IPM program is going to require repeated treatments.

I'm fascinated with the concept. How does this affect brood?
    Neill
    Herbhome Farm USDA zone 7a

Just checked my 14 hives. Not a single SHB was seen in any hive. They've been an absolute scourge for 6 years. Oil trays made a big difference, but last year I used the mighty mite killer in the fall.
    Plenty of dead mites but not a lot of dead SHB so I was unsure. But I've NEVER opened 14 hives and not found SHB. Especially the 3 weak ones with half the frames in the top box with no bees.
    NO SHB..... That CAN'T be a coincidence... They are a pain in the butt, but I'm sold on them now.

herbhome, they say it kills mites in the brood, so they don't hatch with the bee. I can tell you it doesn't hurt the brood. The only drawback I've seen is the heat makes the bees want to beard and in one case I saw a marked queen in the beard. But I didn't loose any queens and my hives where very strong and wintered well. The three weak hives where in the process of starving when the flowers started blooming. Killing SHB is a game changer...
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives / 5 Nucs / 6th Year / T {OAV & MMK}

Quote Originally Posted by herbhome View Post
    I'm fascinated with the concept. How does this affect brood?
    My experience has been that the treatment actually stimulates the production of healthy brood. During treatments you may see a few larva the nurse bees uncap and remove that are too far gone with PMS or have died or close to dying from varroa mite infestation. This is normal. Typically, I see a very noticeable increase the amount and quality/health of the brood approximate 2 to 3 weeks after treatment when there is any appreciable nectar flow in progress or I am feeding. During Fall treatments depending upon your latitude and climate you may not see much if any brood increase primarily due to the cooler change in climate and tappering off the foraging resources. The late Summer and Fall treatments in my opinion are the most important as this is when the hives are producing their Winter bees. Healthy and varroa mite free (as much as is possible) Winter bees goes a LONG ways towards each hive Wintering well provided they get adequate carbohydrate and protein resources.

Does anyone have any mite count data showing the effectiveness of this?

I'm guessing that since it kills mites in the brood, the mite count on day one would not be the only important thing, but in theory, dead mites should be coming out with hatching brood for the next week or two after treatment?

Ideally, there should be a steady mite count pre treatment, then a sharp rise in mite count on the day, and days, after treatment, then a drop to zero or near zero mites a couple weeks after treatment. Anyone have such data?
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

I'm guessing that since it kills mites in the brood, the mite count on day one would not be the only important thing, but in theory, dead mites should be coming out with hatching brood for the next week or two after treatment?

Ideally, there should be a steady mite count pre treatment, then a sharp rise in mite count on the day, and days, after treatment, then a drop to zero or near zero mites a couple weeks after treatment. Anyone have such data?
    Did you review the treatment case study that I posted above? Does that cover the information you are looking for?

Wrong post

with testing we like to see a triple alcohol wash before treatment & then 10 days later. The bees smell the decomposing mites under the capped brood and remove them 3-5 days after treatment. live larvae removed with dead mites attached. join the Facebook Group Mighty Mite Thermal Treatment Users https://www.facebook.com/groups/275791919813444/ review the discussion and also click on files to review the Texas & European studies.

Quote Originally Posted by Live Oak View Post
    Did you review the treatment case study that I posted above? Does that cover the information you are looking for?
    No i didn't Live Oak i'm not signing up to another secret FB group. Which is why i asked the question here.

Be nice to see it here but if it has to be kept secret, no worries.

Oh, checked your link KingDaddyBee, that FB group was open i was able to find a link showing a study comparing a thermal treatment against a fumigation and the thermal treatment dropped more mites. The table i looked at though was missing later data showing if there were still any mites a couple of weeks and more later, which is really the acid test of wether it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

I didn't write numbers down and I pulled my Sticky board on the third day. Mite drop count was heaviest the second day. I found larva on the board the third day, I think bees were pulling larva out that had dead mites in them. But I don't know for sure. I know overall, the brood in all ages did fine. I only put a board on one, just enough to let me know if there was a large mite kill.
    There were hundreds all three days. I stopped doing drop counts years ago because they're only telling me what I already know. I did it this time only because it was a new type of treatment.
    it works, it doesn't kill the hive, brood or queen. Only draw back is the amount of time, but my hives are on my property, I simply do something else with a timer on my phone. It will autostop but you need to move to the next hive. I'm going to buy a second one this year to double my through put.
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives / 5 Nucs / 6th Year / T {OAV & MMK}

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast