Cement and garage floor paint

Default Cement and garage floor paint

Hello,
    I got a gallon of opps cement paint 1 part epoxy from the opps paint at home depot. Has anyone used this one their hives? On new bottom boards I have 2 coats Kiltz 2 primer, and then I went to put on a coat of this cement paint. Very watery and needs to go on super thin or it runs all over. So far I only did the sides of the new bottom boards and not sure how I like it. It will definitely need another coat, or I might just skip that and go back to exterior paint--which also came from oops area in paint dept.

It's so humid in South Fla, my woodenware starts with rotting edges within a few years no matter how many coats of good paint I put on. I am switching to cypress and advantec (sp?) woodenware but if this cement paint does a better job of preventing rot I'd like to keep using it. Or maybe a coat of this and a coat of exterior over it?

Anyone have experience with this type of paint? I'm not finding answers in the search area.
    Thanks in advance.

Bevy
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Cement and garage floor paint

As a.professional painter...I'd not.use the epoxy paint on wood. It's designed to go onto cement, not wood. I would say 1-2 coats of kilts 2 or kilts oil primer are best. Top it with a satin or semi gloss exterior paint. I'm fond of glidden premiumprofessional line of paints. Works well for me. I'm in north Alabama, and we are very hot, and extremely humid in summer. You will get some mold stains inside of your hive, especially if it's not vented well on top of hives. You got to have air flow
    .. hope this helps

Thanks for the quick reply. I read on one of those dyi home repair sites that it can be used on wood as long as it's bare wood with 2 coats of priner. But I don't like how it goes on, so I will go with the exterior paint. Thanks for the tip on the paint brand too.
    Maybe my problem is venting, though I usually do a popsicle stick at the lid in the rainy/hot season. I will make sure I'm paying attention to it this year.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

Bevy, on my inner covers, i put a 1 to 1.5 inch cut out on the inner covers, i guess you call it a shim . I put #8 hardware cloth over the inside of this, stapled in. Works well for me. If you dont want to pay full price on a gallon of the paint i mentioned, look at their mis tint rack. Sometimes it may be there. A fresh gallon is like 23.00 and goes a long way.

I have used epoxy paint on one honey super. I was painting an old truck, using epoxy primer, and had a little left in the gun and a freshly assembled medium was sitting there, so I painted it. Later, the same super was hit with clear coat, again, because there was extra in the gun. It was the nicest box in my collection for many years

That was almost 10 years ago, and just last summer the clear coat started to fail, but the epoxy is still holding well. I'm certainly not advocating people run out and buy epoxy paints (automotive epoxy is NOT cheap) for their bee boxes, but if you've got some that is about to solidify, then have at it.

I don't know how the floor paint is different than auto primer, but I suspect it is VERY different. The primer I used can be found here: https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/products
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

I think epoxy would be great for hive parts that collect standing water like hive covers and bottom boards.