2019 Goals

Thread: 2019 Goals

Hey all, I really enjoyed last years goal setting post and thought I would start one for 2019. Feel free to share whatever bee related goals you have set for yourself.

This year I would like to make 600 pounds of honey, 20 nucs and sell ten of them. Learn to use my mini nucs in coordination with making nucs and splits. Get myself a retail legal label for my jars so I can get the honey sold before it crystalizes. My 5 year old is begging me to come help out, so successfully introducing him to the hives without it being a **** show would be nice as well.

But as Mike Tyson says "everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth"

Good luck all and I look forward to hearing your plans!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 2019 Goals

My goal is to have less queen problems then last year. I accidentally killed one queen and had a drone only queen made in a split.

I have 21 of 23 hives coming out of winter id like to pull 1 to 2 mediums of honey per hive and one nuc per hive. I am hoping to set up a third yard at a blackberry farm my brother works. And I want to keep all of them out of the trees this year don't really care if I have to split them to keep them from swarming just want to keep my bees in my box's and out of the woods. And I need to get better at keeping notes I always forget to bring notebook to write things down then by the time I think to write it down I've forgot so I gotta do better at that too.
    Last edited by mybodyisatemple76; 02-22-2019 at 03:45 AM.

I have 23 of 26 hives going currently
    I am hoping to make 1000lbs honey, make and sell 20 nucs, increase my large hive numbers from 15 to 20 and increase my 4/4/4 MP style overwintering nucs from 8 to 14-16 this year.
    Planning on 2 rounds of grafting queens.
    Ill also bring in a few queens to add to the genetic diversity of my little hobby apiary.
    Hope to catch more swarms than last year. ( i got 3 real swarms and one from my own apiary last year for a total of 4)

my goal is to start working out with weights now so I can keep up with aran
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    my goal is to start working out with weights now so I can keep up with aran
    LOL ironically as it turns out i have actually been doing competitive natural body building for 24 years! I won a pro card a few years back finally. Its a hard hobby to give up!

Last year was my first year beekeeping with 1 hive. So far that one has made it through the winter and I've ordered 3 more packages. My goal would be to get my first honey harvest of any amount from my overwintered hive.

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    LOL ironically as it turns out i have actually been doing competitive natural body building for 24 years! I won a pro card a few years back finally. Its a hard hobby to give up!
    Cool.
    Kettle bells rule!
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

I have 3 new sites with a capacity of 64 hives. I have about that many nucs waiting in the wings to fill them up. My main goal is putting these nucs in big boxes, starting another 100 plus nucs by the end of June. I suspect my summer will be mainly spent trying to keep ahead of bees building equipment as fast as possible. No indoor shop so just waiting for the weather to break so I can get started.

My other main goal is to characterize mite resistant qualities in all hives going into their 2 plus winter. This to fine tune my mating yard going forward to improve mite resistance of my stock.

Third goal is to sell some nucs, sell more honey. I should be a fixture at the farmer's market this year.

My goals this year are to take the 6 hives i have and get atleast 5 into doubles and then 3-6 palmer style 4x4x4 double nucs built up. Maybe get some queens mated and banked in some 3 frame queen castles before winter. Any swarms i catch will be used to draw as much comb as i can by feading the crap out of them. All while making a honey crop.

This is fun! I've been keeping bees for over 11 years now, but have only recently had enough time off my day job to be as serious as I would like.In 2019, I want to:
    1. Double my apiary (3 of 4 coming out of winter) purely with splits and swarms.
    2. Process all the wax I've collected for a decade and make something crafty.
    3. Be ready for my journeyman test in 2020.

PS Does anyone know if wax can get freezer burn?
    Vita est quoque brevis essum nocens victus.

My goals for 2019 are to expand my bee yard and change its location. I started with 3 hives last year in two separate locations. two at my home and one at my fathers. I would like to make a split in the middle of April from my surviving hive if the population and hive health supports this. I am moving my hives from their current location to a sunnier spot and will be installing a six foot fence on the North West and a 4 foot fence on the South and East sides. I have two nucs and 1 package of bees coming in the month April. I would like to requeen with saskatraz Queens in July if I can find them. I would also like to build a resource hive. If I am truly lucky I would also like to have strong enough population to do 2 possibly 3 splits into a nuc that I could overwinter. I am hoping to also get a super of honey from 1 surviving hive from last year. Most of all I am hoping to bee a better bee keep than last year and learn from my mistakes

My goal is to beat Charlie B in our bait hive competition this year. He beat me this last season at his cabin (if he didn't cheat, I was not there). This year we will compete there again and at my cabin. Maybe some other sites. These cabins are in redwood forests where there are not many bees, so it takes real champions to catch swarms.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    My goal is to beat Charlie B in our bait hive competition this year. He beat me this last season at his cabin (if he didn't cheat, I was not there). This year we will compete there again and at my cabin. Maybe some other sites. These cabins are in redwood forests where there are not many bees, so it takes real champions to catch swarms.
    I have to admit for a brief moment I thought about spraying Bee Gone in your trap but decided not too. Besides, that goofy metallic color of your trap did the job for me so no, I didn’t cheat.
    I was very honored and humbled to obtain a most glorious, world renowned victory over such a worthy adversary as Ollie.

I’m afraid my victory will be short lived however as I fear Ollie is going to come after me with a vengence in 2019.
    Last edited by Charlie B; 02-28-2019 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    I have to admit for a brief moment I thought about spraying Bee Gone in your trap but decided not too. Besides, that goofy metallic color of your trap did the job for me so no, I didn’t cheat.
    I was very honored and humbled to obtain a most glorious, world renowned victory over such a a worthy adversary as Ollie.

I’m afraid my victory will be short lived however as I fear Ollie is going to come after me with a vengence in 2019.
    LOL spray beegone in the swarm traps...thats freaking priceless!

I built 8 top bar hive swarm traps this winter, hope I can't least catch a couple. Anything empty I'm hoping on grafting Queens and making mating nucs to overwinter into. If I've got time then log hives will be attempted. I'm going to try to set up a network of county parks that will let me keep my beehives in exchange for teaching classes. I'm starting with 2/4 overwintered top bar hives and a lot of drawn comb

My goal is to keep em alive and healthy! That in itself is a perplexing project at times.
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Claressa View Post
    This is fun! I've been keeping bees for over 11 years now, but have only recently had enough time off my day job to be as serious as I would like.In 2019, I want to:
    1. Double my apiary (3 of 4 coming out of winter) purely with splits and swarms.
    2. Process all the wax I've collected for a decade and make something crafty.
    3. Be ready for my journeyman test in 2020.

PS Does anyone know if wax can get freezer burn?
    Hi Claressa, I donít think you have to freeze beeswax. I too am fiddling* with signing up for the Journeyman this Spring; Iíve put it off for 2 years (I had even bought the books) and just canít seem to get motivated. And I didnít even read the books yet either Maybe next year
    Hav3 fun with your bees. Deb
    Proverbs 16:24

My goal is:
    1- to get rid of the benches the hives are on and use concrete blocks
    2- enlarge fence for more room to spread out the hives more
    3- combine smaller hives with bigger ones in May. I have a hard time killing queens
    4- get queens from the Palmer queens that are overwintering in a dbl nuc
    5- make sure I have enough equipment. Last year we had an over-abundance of nectar/honey we couldn’t keep up and we were jury-rigging 8 frames boxes for 10 frame hives
    Proverbs 16:24

My goals are:

1. Establish where beginner hives are and set bait hives accordingly.
    2. Set bait hives near Odfrank’s main apiary. (He never does swarm prevention)
    3. Tell beginners who see swarm cells that I will split their hives for them and take the queenright half of the split away to relieve them of having an extra burden in their lives.
    4. Begin producing and selling my amazing ant proof hive stands.