Can you partition a deep hive box?

Default Can you partition a deep hive box?

New Beek starting with all new hives; Pkg bees; foundation; etc... I read an article where new Packages of bees will do better drawing comb on new frames if they are restricted in a smaller brood box or even a 5 frame Nuc. What I am wondering is whether I can partition off half of a 10 frame deep, install the new package into the 5 frame half, and then keep moving the partition over and adding another frame so they slowly build out all 10 frames? Or just install the Package into the 10 frame deep and not try to be smarter than the bees? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Can you partition a deep hive box?

Yes you can partition. Usually called a division board, it is just a board that is cut to fit in your frame rest and extends to the bottom of the box. If you are handy with tools its easy to make your own from a scrap of plywood. Sometimes I'll take up space with double wide frame feeders to make a six frame nuc. Since you are starting with a package, you need to feed the girls syrup anyways, may as well use a frame feeder until they get going. 2" polystyrene inserts cut to fit snug in the box also works.
    Zone 5B

Michael Palmer uses hives you describe on a regular basis. Here is a commercially available setup that may be of interst to you. HTH
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Quote Originally Posted by JConnolly View Post
    Yes you can partition. Usually called a division board, it is just a board that is cut to fit in your frame rest and extends to the bottom of the box. If you are handy with tools its easy to make your own from a scrap of plywood. Sometimes I'll take up space with double wide frame feeders to make a six frame nuc. Since you are starting with a package, you need to feed the girls syrup anyways, may as well use a frame feeder until they get going. 2" polystyrene inserts cut to fit snug in the box also works.
    do the bees chew through the styrofoam ?

Video on making styrofoam division boards. Not english, but no need for instructions so just mute it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgic734xz7o
    46.91 N

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    Michael Palmer uses hives you describe on a regular basis. Here is a commercially available setup that may be of interst to you. HTH
    Here is one I made on the saw. Note the divider is locked on center in this arrangement. Making the "follower board" the exact dimensions of the inside will create the division the OP is looking for. Homemade resource hive body.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Champy View Post
    What I am wondering is whether I can partition off half of a 10 frame deep, install the new package into the 5 frame half, and then keep moving the partition over and adding another frame so they slowly build out all 10 frames?
    Another approach is to install a number of dummy frames to fill the unwanted space, rather than employ a partition board. The same frames can then be used to dummy-down a brood box (say, from 10 to 8) for over-wintering - if you should ever want to do that.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

I don't want to hijack the thread but I was looking to do kind of the same thing as I will be starting out with 2 five Frame Nucs this year and would rather not use all 10 frames to start.
    I was thinking 8 frames would work to start and down the road, you can add the 2 frames back if you had to.
    Thank you for the suggestions.
    Dummy Frame idea sounds interesting, maybe out of 1/4 ply ?

I may play around with some Resource hives next year if I end up sticking with it.
    Last edited by jncapiary; 02-25-2019 at 09:51 AM.

JNC Apiary - my intent was to build a “false wall” to restrict the bees from building burr comb in the open spaces and also to encourage filling out all the new comb better on fewer frames. If you leave too much space they will fill it with stuff you don’t want (I believe).
    Newbeek starting w/2 Pkg hives (2019). Zone 6a Central Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    Dadant's also sells a resource hive set up like the one in your link.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

If you watch the video don't forget to put something on the frame rest if you are using one box for two colonies. The queens cannot be allowed to get to each other.

I think using a division board is the route I may take.
    I guess you could use a follower board as well.
    Thanks everyone.