plastic to wood

Thread: plastic to wood

Question plastic to wood

Hi, y'all,

some of y'all might have seen my other post about converting langstroth nuc frames to a horizontal hive. One workable suggestion I took away from that thread was you can rotate the langstroth frames.

I was planning to do that when it occurred to me I could just as well make a wider horizontal hive, i.e., wide enough to accommodate the 19" frames.

Then it occurred to me if I was going to do that I would have to figure out how to attach the plastic nuc frames I will be receiving to wooden top bars. I was thinking superglue.

I was also wanting to modify the nuc frames by attaching an upside down deep frame (wooden) to the bottom of the plastic nuc frame to make a double deep. I know that others have done this before, I was just wondering about the particulars of plastic nuc, with I assume plastic foundation attaching that to a wooden frame.

I've never worked with langstroth or plastic foundation. I'm wondering if I could poke (a) hole(s) in the foundation so that I could cable tie them together.

What do y'all think?
    -Thomas
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: plastic to wood

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzow View Post
    .....how to attach the plastic nuc frames I will be receiving to wooden top bars. I was thinking superglue.
    What do y'all think?
    -Thomas
    Drill and screw.
    Don't glue.

Seriously, you will be receiving live frames.
    How do you think will you be gluing the live frames so that they reliably hold on the spot?
    Drill and screw and done.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Thanks for the feedback, Greg.

I'm not sure either way? Drilling seems to involve more than two hands, but I gather you've done this before. What's the trick? Maybe pre-drill the plastic frame and then put the plastic to wood to screw?

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Drill and screw.
    Don't glue.

Seriously, you will be receiving live frames.
    How do you think will you be gluing the live frames so that they reliably hold on the spot?
    Drill and screw and done.
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

OK, I suggest you just do a "dry run" practice.
    Take compatible frames and top bars and practice the process.
    As you practice you will figure it out and see what works for you.

Nothing wrong with extending a live frame downwards using zips; that is what I would do.
    Drill holes into the live frames (assuming solid plastic frames) and zip up the extension.

So, again, just go through the pretend process ahead of time and all it is to it.
    No one taught me how to do it - I simply practiced and figured my actions ahead of time.
    In my case, this is typically about re-hiving the swarms.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Thanks for the tips Greg!
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    OK, I suggest you just do a "dry run" practice.
    Take compatible frames and top bars and practice the process.
    As you practice you will figure it out and see what works for you.

Nothing wrong with extending a live frame downwards using zips; that is what I would do.
    Drill holes into the live frames (assuming solid plastic frames) and zip up the extension.

So, again, just go through the pretend process ahead of time and all it is to it.
    No one taught me how to do it - I simply practiced and figured my actions ahead of time.
    In my case, this is typically about re-hiving the swarms.