Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

genetics of the Saskatraz bee

6K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  grozzie2 
#1 ·
I have searched the internet but still cannot find a satisfactory explanation of the genetics that are behind the Saskatraz bee. Does anybody know what races were used to start this bee? Is it just a Saskatchewan mongrel that somebody honed into the Saskatraz bee or was it some intentional crosses like Brother Adam did in developing the Buckfast bee? Lastly, where to by some purebred Saskatraz breeder queens at a decent price? Thanks you.

#3 ·
Side note on your question. Against my advice my great nephew bought twenty Russian nucs that were as mean as I promised him and so ridden with mites and their virus that they mostly produced little honey and were too far gone for killing the mites to help. The last of them have died now in the never ending North Dakota winter. Six of his eight colonies from Saskatraz packages are still quiet and alive after no cleansing flights since Late October. He is pretty high on his Saskatraz and plans on buying 30 more Sask Packages.

#5 ·
I received an email from the breeder of the Saskatraz bee:
Hello Calvin,
Please read my review article on my website(www.saskatraz.com) to explain all of the selected queen lines used to construct the Saskatraz genome.Russian lines and German Carnica were previously selected for varroa tolerance.Canadian stock was selected for honey production,wintering ability and chalk brood resistance. Saskatraz is a mixed breed with Carniolian,Italian,Caucasian,Buckfast and VSH genetics integrated into it and the best traits selected for.
Regards,
Albert
Meadow Ridge Enterprises Ltd.
Box 1, Group Site 602, RR#6
Saskatoon, SK S7K 3J9
Cell: 306-270-6627

#6 ·
Yep it is basically a mutt, but real good mutt for the most part. I started buying them several years ago, several of the queens are going through their third winter. A good one will build up faster than any other strain I have and I have carns, Italians, Russians, Minnesota, Vermont northern, Germans, Cordovan, Buckfast, Indiana ankle biters and caucasians in my Apairy. Since I am not a scientist my observation is that I try to enjoy them all.

#7 ·
I started off with Saskatraz and have mite biting and VSH in my population. Also good hygienic behaviour. Some problems with chalkbrood in this area. After a couple of generations of treatment free I have some hives with less than 3 percent mite counts using fall brood samples. The first generation were not so vigorous and slow to build up but have improved with the generations. Some local adaptation is needed no matter the source.

#12 ·
in the USA we get saskatraz hybrids. mann lake, lappe, and anybody else get these hybrids from OHB in california who brings a small selection of breeder queens in from meadow ridge. lotsa paperwork there! the hybrids are open mated in cali. i grab a few every year or every other to run in drone mother colonies. meadow ridge has strict and extensive (think 50k colonies!) selection criteria, moreso than i could ever hope to accomplish. so i encourage the saskatraz drones to mate with my carniolan type. interested to see the results of UBeeO testing what i got. saskatraz has scored as high as 84%, though they claim varroa resistance is not consistant in subsequent generations.