Bbq hive

Thread: Bbq hive

Default Bbq hive

I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas on how to get them out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

It’s the grill part they are in. Its filled with bees and is really heavy and they are not happy when I mess with them. The grill collapsed and we cut off legs and trailed it home like that at night. As the grill has separate top and bottom and the rotisserie holes, the bees flow out of everywhere. I was going to try and put a plastic tote over it but the gauges are on it and it bows out.

Default Re: Bbq hive

Can you put a hive body with full frames over it and then smoke them into the box?
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Quote Originally Posted by George7380 View Post
    Lots of possibilities, but one of the easiest may be to open it & physically relocate them. Got pictures?
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

Quote Originally Posted by George7380 View Post
    I made a bee vaccum for less than $50 that would do the job. Search for nwnjba gadget garage on youtube to see it.

It’s under the blue tote. Last night I put that on and was trying to drag it down the ramp, wasn’t working well. Plan last night was to get it on the plywood and add a hive and see if I could get the queen. Like a hogan thing I think.

George, have you done a cutout before? Nothing compares with some experience, my first advice would be to get a mentor to do it if this is your first time.

If you have some experience, I've done a similar one. Have a long-blade knife. Even better a cutting wire & slowly saw the comb right against the door. Or slowly open the door, and cut all the comb from the door panel so it can open fully. At that point, you can access all the comb and it's your normal removal. It will be a little difficult because the comb is curved on top & doesn't insert into frames well. Don't frame hardly any honey. Focus on the brood. A vacuum makes the job much easier. But a mentor makes it 10x easier.

I don’t have anybody to help/teach me. I have learned a lot just from having the hives,everyone on here, and reading stuff. Yes I have done a few cut outs. I’m thinking the only way to open it is to cut the comb in half then open. I never have luck with cutouts/swarms, they almost always leave the hive box after a few days. Maybe it’s the screened bottom. Wife is getting a suit today so I guess we will see how far we get tonight. This is close to the bbq they are in. The sides and whole bottom is off except the high and low things for the flames. Is cutting the comb in half to open a good idea?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was thinking it was an offset smoker, that's your generic style grill. There should be a couple of bolts holding the cover to the bottom. Take the bolts out. Lift off the cover, there should be minimal comb attached to the bottom. Flip it over & set down. The grill should come with it. At this point you will end up cutting the comb in half, but you will do a better job this way.

Cut the comb out, frame the brood. Make sure the brood is framed up-side up. Give them a frame feeder of 2:1 sugar water. Leave the hive where the grill is now. Do all of this in the later afternoon. The hope being that they don't abscond and instead spend the night in the hive. Some time after dark put a screen over the entrance (making sure all the bees are inside). Leave them locked in there for 2 days, putting the hive in a shady area (heat, depends on where you are).

A good bee vac will make the job much easier (my bias!) and significantly reduce absconding. But use what you have. There are 1000 more bits of advise, but these are my initial thoughts. Good luck.

Thanks, Sw Florida, it’s only 20’ from some trees I can put it under. Thanks again!!

Got a swarm...let see if they r still there tonight.