OAV with honey supers/Fall Extraction Blues - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Well Alex you can stand on your soap box and preach all you want!
    Untill you have small cell bees on small cell comb, can you truly testify!
    Oh well , bee happy eating contaminated honey! 😄😄

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: OAV with honey supers

Well, Airwreck, I am happy, although my honey isn't contaminated because I don't treat with supers on and only three times a year.

When I said, here we go again, I was thinking of the debate you were trying unleash. The topic has been discussed ad nauseam.

Soap box, preach, testify. You're giving yourself away. And

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

duplicate
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Oxalic acid vaporization is used in Europe with honey supers.

Haven't seen anything indicating that European honey is not safe to consume.

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    Oxalic acid vaporization is used in Europe with honey supers.
    Iíve ďheardĒ that but donít have any references. Anyone?
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

I've wondered about that. Do want my honey to be safe but what exactly does the oxalic acid do to make the honey unusable for humans?

Don't the bees remove the crystals? I think I'm remembering that right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Tanya View Post

Don't the bees remove the crystals? I think I'm remembering that right.
    Yup, the see them as trash and haul them out.

Don't the bees remove the crystals?
    The crystals coat all surfaces inside the hives. The bees clean up all of these crystals and remove them in fairly short order. Crystals landing on capped frames will not penetrate the brood or honey cappings and are cleaned up.

I think the main question mark is, what about the crystals that land on open cells of honey and nectar in the supers. They will become part of the liquid. Is it enough to make any difference?
    To everything there is a season....

The label should answer your question. I do everything possible to not contaminate my honey. Contrary to the advice of many in the bee world this is a very powerful chemical and caution is advised when using it. Even if there is some possible method of keeping the supers on, why take the risk? I couldn't give or sell my honey that may have been exposed to this or other chemicals. Just a thought from an old man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Well, if you wish to comply with the US EPA application regulations for oxalic acid as a varroa control, the honey supers should not be present. If you want to read the label / application instructions, here they are:
    https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem...1-20151013.pdf

Look for the section that says ...

Even those that do not intend to comply with label restrictions should at least read the complete label. As the label also says, "It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling." That applies to every pesticide.

Mike,
    After I posted I was thinking about where the crystals would land and that's the answer I came up with too. Open cells would be affected. If oxalic acid is in the hive naturally (In the honey naturally?) how much is too much?

I just like to know as much as possible about a topic as I can. I'm just asking questions to understand better.

This post was originally responding to an earlier one, doesn’t apply here, sorry about that !
    Last edited by Cloverdale; 07-31-2019 at 11:40 AM.
    Proverbs 16:24

???

Thanks Cloverdale.

I just like to know as much as possible about a topic as I can. I'm just asking questions to understand better.
    I know what you mean. I don't think there is a definitive answer yet on this, at least not that I'm aware of.

Arsenic is found naturally in some foods we eat. Does that mean that it's OK to add more arsenic to food because natural trace amounts are considered safe? How much additional arsenic would still be rated as safe?

I'm not at all judging anyone for their approach to OAV and treating with supers on. That's none of my business. It's probably alright, but there are still questions left unanswered, for me anyway. For now I feel comfortable making the extra effort to treat without supers, and I have a clear conscience selling honey to my customers. Might be overkill, that's just how I'm wired.
    To everything there is a season....

A full round of 5 OAV treatments results in as much as an extra 25mg of OA per pound of honey, which is about as harmful as eating a bag of potato chips.

Default Fall Extraction Blues

Every year I have the same two issues in the fall. The honey is above 18% but I have to get it off the hives to treat and I can't get the bees out of the supers. I started some robbing at one yard yesterday now I have to return the supers to clean them up. When I put them on the hives they condense the honey and keep filling them so I have to fight them to get them off all over again.

Is it too crazy to let them rob them out under a tarp in a community garden? Am I still going to have a mess of bees eating wax and not wanting to get off the combs?

Some of the honey is at 19%. Any tricks to get the moisture down? I used my grow light last year but it was a pain.
    6 years-8 hives-T
    brooklyn-queen.com

Default Re: Fall Extraction Blues

The obvious answer is to leave them on longer and put off your treatment a couple of weeks. If you insist pulling them to wet then use a fan to dry them out. I built a small room that I put my supers in for a few days. I keep a portable heater in there to get the temperature up before I i spin the frames.

Don't put off treatments. You want the bees that raise the winter bees to be as healthy as possible.
    When I pull my supers and extract, I no longer put them back on the hives to have the bees clean them. That required me to remove the bees twice which is too much work.
    Now, I open feed with the wet supers to have the bees clean them off. Sure, there is some tearing of the comb but I put a lid under them to catch the wax and melt it down in the solar melter. The bees will have them cleaned up in less than a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Margot1d View Post
    Some of the honey is at 19%. Any tricks to get the moisture down? I used my grow light last year but it was a pain.
    Small room with dehumidifier.....

A couple 2x4's with supers on top of them and a fan on top blowing down through them. It works here with our humidity.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast