UltraBee vs. AP23 vs. Homemade - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: UltraBee vs. AP23 vs. Homemade

Dry Megabee for open feeding, and Global 15% patties in the hive.

I used ap23 for several years, but then I wanted some actual data on ap23's performance, but I couldn't find anything except anecdotal opinions.
    So, based on Randy Oliver's pollen sub experiment I switched to Megabee and Global 15%.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Ultra bee is good, I use it, bees like it just fine! But I also make my own, and basically spend the same. I use soy flour, in Ohio you can buy crushed soybeans for $8.00 for a 50 lb bag, I take it to our local Amish and have it ground to an ultra fine flour. I mix in dry milk, yeast, powdered granulated sugar, powdered natural pollen I collect with a pollen trap, powdered wild mushrooms and powdered multi vitamins. The bees like it also. But at the same time I scratch my head watching them attack my chickens multi grain laying mash. Ultra bee seems like an easier solution if you have the 85 bucks to by a big bag. Let someone else experiment if you have the option.

I guess I am confused to why anyone would feel the need to add anything to ultra bee. Megabee or beepro.
    I would just think a lot of research went into those products and the best was created even though they differ slightly they all work great.
    Used beepro before but currently using ultrabee. They seem to take to the ultrabee better though.

The research went into MegaBee.

UltraBee & BeePro are knock-offs. The one of the differences is grain refinement - MegaBee is finer-grained. There are probably nutritional differences, though small. The population recovery rate in early Spring is faster for MegaBee fed colonies. Important for you almond contracts? Yup. $$$$$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by kilocharlie View Post
    The research went into MegaBee.

UltraBee & BeePro are knock-offs. The one of the differences is grain refinement - MegaBee is finer-grained. There are probably nutritional differences, though small. The population recovery rate in early Spring is faster for MegaBee fed colonies. Important for you almond contracts? Yup. $$$$$$$$$$

Is it true that Megbee changed their formula last year? Heard it is a little more like Ultrabee now, except as you said, slightly finer ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybeenut View Post
    I guess I am confused to why anyone would feel the need to add anything to ultra bee. Megabee or beepro.
    I would just think a lot of research went into those products and the best was created even though they differ slightly they all work great.
    Used beepro before but currently using ultrabee. They seem to take to the ultrabee better though.
    One reason may be the difference between feeding dry or wet. Depending on the time of year it seems to work better when mixed with oil and few other things, depending on what works in your area

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Check and see if you are close to any distributors for globalpatties.com I get the 15% pollen patties, the top of the line for 1.77 a pound. They bees eat them any time you put them on. A lot of my home made offerings and other brands sit there. You will like them The lower end without pollen are a little over a dollar a pound. The bees eat them too.
    i looked on betterbee.com:
    40lbs of the global patties 15% is $112.36
    40 lbs of the ultra bee at Mannlake is $78.95

I get Global shipped to me for $98 per box (with shipping), straight from the manufacturer (2.45/lb w/shp). That's cheaper than I can order it from a distributor (3.13/lb w/shp).
    Megabee is $85 per box ($2.13/lb w/free shipping over $100).

I consider higher cost to be negligible for a superior product. Quality nutrition doesn't cost. It pays.

On an open-feeding note: I put out ap23 in a hive body for a few days. The bees found it and started taking it. Then I put out ultrabee in a hive body, and megabee in a feeder, too. The bees clearly opted for the ultrabee (abandoning the ap23 altogether), and probably will consume the megabee about as slowly as the ap23. The take-away for me is that ultrabee might be the best choice for open feeding, while megabee was designed to be fed via syrup or patty form inside the hive.

So, I'm trying different products this year...

Quote Originally Posted by beemantn View Post
    KevinWI, Mind sharing your recipe?
    sure:

screenshot-www.youtube.com-2019.02.24-12-51-22.jpg
    Help is here to never misplace that hive tool again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvwlSiOzgOU

Thanks for the Video. I use a https://www.harborfreight.com/power-...xer-67538.html would make it much easier for you.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    Thanks for the Video. I use a https://www.harborfreight.com/power-...xer-67538.html would make it much easier for you.
    it sure would....and would increase the cost per lb to $20/lb .....it worked just fine for me with the cost of a little elbow grease.
    Help is here to never misplace that hive tool again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvwlSiOzgOU

Kevin, I fed one of my hives the first of the pollen patties I made with your recipe. They were all on it before I got the hive closed back up. They were low on stores too so that may have had something to do with it. Do want to point out that the patties need to be kept refrigerated or frozen until time to use. I had put several of them in the box with the ML patties and there was a little mold starting to form on just the homemade ones.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Kevin, I fed one of my hives the first of the pollen patties I made with your recipe. They were all on it before I got the hive closed back up. They were low on stores too so that may have had something to do with it. Do want to point out that the patties need to be kept refrigerated or frozen until time to use. I had put several of them in the box with the ML patties and there was a little mold starting to form on just the homemade ones.
    yep...thats why I keep them in the freezer until ready to use....1:25 mark of video.

Kevin, Thals for the video. There's a lot of great information throughout this thread. I wonder if a two-step approach is useful--UltraBee early on and then switching to the 15% global pollen pattie as the flow gets closer.
    Year 4
    Zone 7b 3500 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinWI View Post
    it sure would....and would increase the cost per lb to $20/lb .....it worked just fine for me with the cost of a little elbow grease.
    I tend to throw money at the problems and my time is very important. Also every job deserves a new tool. I was looking for a bakery mixer but, they were in the 1-2k range. So cement mixer was better prices. I also feed a couple hundred hives at a time.

HF and me are really good friends. I returned my mulcher at 5 years and the extended warranty ran out 3 years past but, since they are on my honey list they just replaced it for me free and sold me a new extended warranty. Tip your waiters well and they take care of you. Everyone likes bottles of honey.

i dont think it matters what patty is used.
    Last edited by Woodside; 02-25-2019 at 08:43 AM.
    Young queens - Tanner Christianson

Quote Originally Posted by Woodside View Post
    i dont think it matters what patty is used.
    So you are saying a patty is a patty. Thus ending the age old fight weather Krabby pattys are better then chum bucket pattys.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    So you are saying a patty is a patty. Thus ending the age old fight weather Krabby pattys are better then chum bucket pattys.
    yaya haha
    Young queens - Tanner Christianson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12