Grub Killer?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grub Killer?

Default Grub Killer?

Just curious if any of you use grub killer in your yards and if so, which are the safe ones? We have tons of moles so I figured if I kill the grubs I can get rid of the moles since my mole traps and baits arent working.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I have used milky spore to eliminate Japanese beetle grubs in my yard. You will want to wait to apply it when it warms up a bit. You might need to apply it a second time to help the spore establish in the soil, but once it does your good for quite a while, like a decade.

Default Re: Grub Killer?

Ditto what Nhaupt said. Its expensive but it works long term once established. J

As a chemical free but somewhat more barbaric means of getting rid of moles...use a water hose to flood the tunnel and a pitchfork when you see the nose pop up for air. Extremely effective if you have the time and inclination. Just saying.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

And milky spore is completely safe for all pollinators. I work at a garden center and the milky spore is the #1 seller to control the moles and voles.

Good to know, thanks! As far as flooding the tunnels, I'm actually shocked all the rain we've gotten hasn't flooded them naturally but that does sound fun to try haha. Milky spore sold at regular stores or do I need to order it?

Never mind I see Lowes and Amazon has it so I'll give it a shot. Thanks again!

I vote for this method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Hx5ka1FiA

(from Caddyshack)

lol you might be suprized how common that is
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgztUzqaL3E

We had a large farmer here, 2000 plus acres under tillage, that used the Rodenator with great success. The commercial is not a spoof. It uses propane and oxygen as a fuel. Pulling a trigger ignites the gas mix and boom (literally) your ground hogs are dead. Did not think about using it on moles. This could be fun!
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

You can kill every grub within a mile of your place and you won't effect the mole population enough to have an impact.
    Their primary food source is earthworms. But don't let that deter you if the grubs are adversely affecting your turf.

Anyone know if milkyspore also works on SHB larve?

Based on the fact that I got rid of most of my Japanese beatles and I still have SHB, I would say no.

Kind of the reply I was expecting - but had to ask anyway.
    Thanks

SHB can't be stopped by killing the grubs in the ground because the adults fly in from miles around. You can stop them from multiplying near your hives by killing the grubs in the ground, doing yourself and neighboring beekeepers a favor.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Milky spore is not effective on SHB, totally different critter.
    GardStar is the only labeled pesticide for SHB.
    Active ingredient is permethrin.
    Apply as coarse spray or watering can to the ground under and around the hive so the larvae come in contact with it as they leave the hive to pupate in the ground.
    Ground does not need to be saturated just surface layer.
    Apply early to reduce the increase of adults that come from the early survivors while the ground is still cool. May need to reapply June/July to slow down the population explosion that occurs when the warm soil enhances the successful pupation rates.
    It is deadly to bees if you drop a frame on treated ground.

Does that actually work for you John? I was always under the impression that hive beetle will come from miles around to take up residency in a hive.

I've seen nematodes mentioned as controls for both SHB and Japanese beetle larva. Of course there are a gazillion and four species of nematodes so some research would need to be done to see if the same critter will attack both pests.
    Bill

After I added chickens to my farm, all the grubs are gone. Also, all the moles and voles disappeared. Chickens are great for pest control and giving you fresh breakfast food!

I wonder what further imbalances are caused when you kill all the grubs in the area and for that matter all the moles. However if it is done, it should be as humanely as possible, life forms feel pain, important to remember for those who have forgotten.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast