Vermont Bill Before Legislature - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Vermont Bill Before Legislature

Welcome riffraff.
    don't think off any part of Yarmouth as riffraff, but you must know best.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

A simple improvement without a great burden; Require every seller to provide at bee delivery a licence application. It was 3 years before I figured out I was supposed to register.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    A simple improvement without a great burden; Require every seller to provide at bee delivery a licence application. It was 3 years before I figured out I was supposed to register.
    We hand out registration forms like they are candy with every Nuc and Queen sale.

A simple improvement without a great burden; Require every seller to provide at bee delivery a licence application.
    that was one of the recommendation, we have Mann Lake just over the boarder, first thing people said, there goes the local bee economy, Penn. will do fine. You have to bee in NY to understand, give you a fine example, take a look at the Amazon/NYC example. the Governor and his minions an the Mayor worked out a fine deal, but never asked the people on the ground what they thought of it, say good by to Amazon in NY. We have had mandatory registration twice in NY, the same people that are now pushing it, are the same people that got it repealed the last time. You want to feel like a yo yo, come to NY.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by enjambres View Post

Not having a clue where all the bee yards are will come back to bite us, sooner, or later. All because of stupid, selfish, childish, "I don't want to, so you can't make me" arguments. Yes, there were problems in the past. That was then, this is now. Fix it and move on.

e.

I went to a public meeting with Ag & Markets on the proposed changes. Beekeepers sat there and whined that they "needed something" from the state before they would support the registration system and provide their addresses. Gimme, gimme, gimme ... when you are already making a crop on land that isn't yours, in a profoundly communal ecosystem, with animals that easily move themselves and their pests and diseases from yard to yard. What twaddle!

Nancy
    If anyone thought they were going to fix it, then maybe people would get on board. If it wasn't being done behind closed doors with no input outside of the commercial beeks, maybe people would get on board. as far a I know they haven't replaced Cappy yet, so who with any knowledge of bees would be leading the effort. They are doing budgets right now, NY is billions over projected monies, If I had a guess positions like head bee inspector that aren't filled would be good candidates to disappear again. If you go look on the NY website for open jobs, they list 4 bee inspectors, but from the description I can't tell if they really intend to fill them. They have discussed having the Ag's and Market's other inspectors run the system, now that I would be comical. There have been discussions of Cornell running it, then we really get into legal ramifications. As has been suggested at a few of the AIAC meeting, put it to a vote of the beekeepers in the state, seen it happen yet. A few years ago some of the mite treatments needed to be re-registered for NY, Mark had to go find some one at Cornell to do it, because that was there job. This whole thing is like a giant black board with multiple people running their fingers over it at the same time.
    t
    mike syracuse ny

Here in Arkansas, in addition to registration, we are required to get a yearly health inspection for nuc sales.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

This whole thing is like a giant black board with multiple people running their fingers over it at the same time.

Got to admire a good line.

From NYS AG & MKTS:

Dear Stakeholder:

I want to extend my appreciation to beekeepers for taking the time to join me at a recent honey producer meeting or one of the apiary listening sessions the Department held across the State this past fall. This remains a critical time for pollinators. With a diverse and growing beekeeping industry, an ever-changing and dynamic environment, and unprecedented research that’s being done to learn more about pollinator decline, it is more important than ever to hear from our beekeepers firsthand.

At the listening sessions, the Department presented information on Article 15 of Agriculture and Markets Law (bee health), provided an overview of the Department’s inspection and Cornell Tech Team’s apiary extension efforts, and shared updates on the NYS Pollinator Protection Plan. The roundtable discussion was most helpful, increasing our mutual understanding of challenges facing pollinators and the stakeholders in the industry. The dialogue led to great brainstorming amongst participants as to potential next steps to secure a healthier and growing pollinator community.

Thank you again for sharing your expertise. Attached please find an overview of the sessions and suggestions by participants regarding the Department’s pollinator program, outreach efforts and the interface between government and pollinators and their habitat.

Sincerely,

Richard

Richard A. Ball
    Commissioner

Department of Agriculture and Markets
    10B Airline Drive, Albany, NY 12235
    (518) 457-8876
    http://www.agriculture.ny.gov

OVERVIEW OF BEEKEEPING LISTENING SESSIONS
    NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets Commissioner Richard Ball conducted three listening sessions for beekeepers in the fall of 2018 to solicit feedback on the issues and needs facing the apiary industry and to provide an overview of the NYS Pollinator Protection Plan. Invitations and copies of the Pollinator Protection Plan were sent to over 25 bee clubs to assure diverse representation from across the state and amongst the beekeeping community. To obtain additional input, Commissioner Ball participated in meetings of the Catskill Mountain Bee Club on August 14 and Empire State Honey Producers on November 2.
    The listening sessions in Fall 2018 were held:
    - November 19, Capital Region - Albany, NY. Approximately 10 beekeepers attended this session.
    - November 29, Central/Western Region - Geneva, NY. Approximately 12 beekeepers attended this session.
    - December 6, Hudson Valley – Elmsford, NY. 10 beekeepers attended this session.
    Commissioner Ball started each session by thanking the beekeepers for participating and giving a general overview of the Pollinator Protection Plan and progress made in conserving and promoting pollinators in NYS. The Commissioner also highlighted the partnership the Department has with Cornell University in the establishment of the Tech Team and its progress in improving best management practices in the bee industry. He shared the findings of the Cornell research program thus far. Commissioner Ball asked the participants for constructive suggestions on how to modernize the state’s apiary inspection efforts and how the department can improve apiary inspections.
    Plant Industry Director Chris Logue provided an overview of Agriculture and Markets Law, Article 15 “Bee Diseases” and a synopsis of the state’s inspection efforts, National Honeybee Survey results, and the incidence of American Foulbrood in the state.
    The format of the remainder of each of the sessions was a roundtable discussion. The following suggestions were made during the three listening sessions:
    Statutory and Programmatic Actions
    - Law should be looked at as a historical document intimating that the law is no longer relevant as written. (Geneva session)
    - Law should address the destruction of Africanized and/or aggressive bees. (Geneva session)
    - Need a law to deal with AFB, change the law to allow for treatment versus burning. No sale of Nucs with AFB. (Geneva session)
    - The Department should have more apiary inspectors. Inspector resources might be more effective if they were deployed more widely in the state (All sessions). Long Island

participants felt that due to the travel challenges associated with getting on to Long Island, an inspector stationed on the island would be more efficient. (Hudson Valley session)
    - Almost universal acknowledgment that NUC colony sales are a potential pathway for disease and NUC production might be an efficient place to deploy some inspection resources. (All sessions)
    - The Department indicated that registration information would be helpful when delimiting disease presence, especially American Foulbrood. In addition, registration would allow the state an easier means of communication with the industry. Beekeeper concerns over registration include: privacy, disclosure to localities that might result in zoning infractions, and the need for the state to clearly articulate the “value” of registration. (All sessions).
    Outreach and Education Actions
    - Interest in ways to better influence the state to put more resources into extension and research on managed pollinators. It was suggested that this would be best accomplished by becoming more involved in the governance of local Cornell Cooperative Extension Associations, participating in the Empire State Honey Producers and connecting with local and state Farm Bureau leaders who have been supportive (Hudson Valley session).
    - Need for better dissemination of information (Cornell research, mite presence, etc.) from Cornell to bee clubs (Geneva and Albany sessions).
    - Department should provide information on AFB detects in a report, along with a map, to bee clubs. (Albany session)
    - Cornell training and a certificate program on disease detection and best management practices should be considered for bee inspectors, master beekeepers, etc. (Geneva session)
    - Consider inspector demonstrations at bee clubs. (Geneva session) Other Entities, Government Actions
    - Municipalities should notify the public of areas before spraying.
    - Need a progress report from Department of Transportation and Department of Environmental Conservation regarding mowing the roadsides. Concern about
    eliminating woody plants, canopy. (Albany session)
    - Need to revisit the need for pollinator plants with Department of Transportation and NYS
    Thruway. (Albany session)
    - Concern with local zoning laws that prohibit people from keeping bees and suburban land
    management practices that may adversely impact pollinators in the more urban and
    suburban areas of the state. (Hudson Valley session)
    - Concern with the veterinary feed directive and how it will impact beekeepers and the
    possibility of using professional veterinarians for some of the inspection and health certificate work. (Albany session)
    Proverbs 16:24

yes, it's a shame that there wasn't a turnout, but there also wasn't much of an advertisement about it, and most people that have been in NY for any amount of time just assume it's a waste of time and energy. interesting that some of the question that were asked are missing, in particular the one about AFB, since this is the topic that they use to justify the mandatory registration. It was asked here and at a couple of aiac meeting, if the report that beltsville provides to the state about the number of confirmed cases of AFB could be provided along with a map of the areas where found. Pat Bono published her survey recently and it showed one case of afb, can't remember the number of beeks participating, and I saw another one, I think the BIP survey, and it only showed one case of AFB in the state of NY, possible the same one.

another one that is on."registration would allow the state an easier means of communication with the industry". Now at one of the AIAC meetings when this came up, I volunteered to get email lists of all the clubs so that information could be sent out about "stuff". Cappy informed me that he had a complete list to provide information to beeks. never have got any information via email from him or the state regarding bees.

Many of the complaints/requests are justified, and about every other state provides this information etc, I've been to the state of Main, Minn, Calif, etc websites and they have been providing information for years, NY none, so is any one surprised that the beeks lack confidence in Ags and Mkts and their ability to change.
    mike syracuse ny

Agree on AFB. Not wanting to sound repetative, my apiary got AFB from an old frame from a nuc purchased from a migratory beek when I first started; that was when the industry just started recycling old black combs from hives. I guess the supplier used his recycled frames in the nucs, and I put those frames in swarm boxes. Now when Pat had Randy at that workshop at Cornell on AFB, there was a chart shown from Cornell of zero AFB outbreaks, supposedly mine was the only in 2016. I personally knew a local beek who had it also, but never reported it. She was more than 5 miles away from me. Last year another beekeeper who sells nucs from a migratory beek had an outbreak. I never heard from the State about that. My concern is too many beekeepers in one area
    Proverbs 16:24

Here in California. if you have 9 or more colonies, you need to register with your county Ag Commissioner. Last I checked, it was $10 a year. He'll assign you a unique beekeeper number that you can brand onto your hives and frames. It is a good thing here - they're very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    yes, it's a shame that there wasn't a turnout, but there also wasn't much of an advertisement about it, and most people that have been in NY for any amount of time just assume it's a waste of time and energy. interesting that some of the question that were asked are missing, in particular the one about AFB, since this is the topic that they use to justify the mandatory registration. It was asked here and at a couple of aiac meeting, if the report that beltsville provides to the state about the number of confirmed cases of AFB could be provided along with a map of the areas where found. Pat Bono published her survey recently and it showed one case of afb, can't remember the number of beeks participating, and I saw another one, I think the BIP survey, and it only showed one case of AFB in the state of NY, possible the same one.

another one that is on."registration would allow the state an easier means of communication with the industry". Now at one of the AIAC meetings when this came up, I volunteered to get email lists of all the clubs so that information could be sent out about "stuff". Cappy informed me that he had a complete list to provide information to beeks. never have got any information via email from him or the state regarding bees.

Many of the complaints/requests are justified, and about every other state provides this information etc, I've been to the state of Main, Minn, Calif, etc websites and they have been providing information for years, NY none, so is any one surprised that the beeks lack confidence in Ags and Mkts and their ability to change.
    I heard a rumor that 100 or so were burnt due to AFB in the western NY area. We beeks will never know for sure. So whats the use of a VFD when the law says we have ro have a bonfire anyway!
    I've had bees( registered ) for 30 years and have gotten communications a couple of times. Things really went downhill when Caulderone was at Cornell.
    Registration makes little difference.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by funwithbees View Post
    I heard a rumor that 100 or so were burnt due to AFB in the western NY area. We beeks will never know for sure. So whats the use of a VFD when the law says we have ro have a bonfire anyway!
    I've had bees( registered ) for 30 years and have gotten communications a couple of times. Things really went downhill when Caulderone was at Cornell.
    Registration makes little difference.
    Nick
    so true on the VFD but if you look at the list of requests, one of them is to let beeks treat for AFB and not have to burn. Sure hope that one gets forgotten. The idea for registration is to fund Cornell, I've never seen anything of any use come out in the last 20 years, if land grant colleges are going to be funded It makes more sense to me to fund the ones that have actually been doing research for the last 20 years, penn st., Univ. of Montana, Purdue etc, I heard from a person that works at Cornell, the first thing they intend to do is build a new building, now that will advance the knowledge of bees, maybe someday.
    mike syracuse ny

Ended up finding some that fell off a truck.
    That's hilarious.

I thought folks may be interested in the status of the Vermont bill. The Vermont Beekeepers Association supports the bill with some amendments which do improve the bill.
    Here is the bill and suggested amendments: https://www.vermontbeekeepers.org/im...-2-26-2019.pdf

Here is the VBA rationale for the suggested amendments: https://www.vermontbeekeepers.org/im...-2-26-2019.pdf
    I think it a much stronger bill with the VBA amendments. Jack Rath, (Betterbee) VBA President testified in favor of the amendments. Thanks Jack.

Since Maine's rules were brought up, Maine has a Draft Proposed Rules for Chapter 270 - Maine Apiary Rules and Regulations (PDF). Still, with the registration costs going up between $8-$50, still seems reasonable to me.

http://www.maine.gov/tools/whatsnew/...d=1174856&an=1

Apiary Program Proposed Rule Changes - Call for Public Comment
    The purpose of the Apiary Program is to prevent the introduction and/or spread of regulated honey bee diseases, parasites, and undesirable genetic material in resident and migratory honey bee colonies, as well as encourage and maintain interstate movement of honey bees for crop pollination and honey production.

Proposed changes to the current rules include:

Defining and clarifying terms within the rules.
    Deregulate well established pests that are currently regulated, including the varroa mite and European foulbrood.
    Adding pests and diseases of honey bees to the regulated pest list that do not currently exist in the United States but have the potential to be very harmful to the State of Maine Beekeeping industry.
    Clarify areas of the current rule that are unclear and/or burdensome to beekeepers including the follow sections: Regulation, Possession and Sale, Abatement Procedures and Inspection.
    Increase the apiary registration fee. The current fee schedule was first adopted in 1985 and has never been increased.
    Public Hearing Dates:
    April 29, 2019 - 5-7pm at Cumberland County Cooperative Extension Office, 75 Clearwater Dr #104, Falmouth, ME 04105
    May 2, 2019 - 5-7pm at Maine DOT Region 4, Blue Building, 219 Hogan Road, Bangor, ME 04401
    Written Comment Deadline: Monday May 13, 2019
    46.91° N

Deregulate well established pests that are currently regulated, including the varroa mite and European foulbrood.

I can see the varroa, but since they eliminated Terramyacin and the new strains of efb are harder to get rid of, not sure about the efb exemption.

so do the commercial operations coming in have to pay fee's? last I knew you only had one inspector that retired, what do you get for the fees.

the one thing I would like to see, all bee loads have to stop at the dot stations, and the load origination is compared to the last inspection, if they don't match back they go. seems like there is quite a bit of playing around in this area.
    mike syracuse ny

If you are talking about Maine, Jennifer Lund replaced him. She seems quite active from what I can see.
    46.91° N

Quote Originally Posted by NorthMaine View Post
    If you are talking about Maine, Jennifer Lund replaced him. She seems quite active from what I can see.
    She is VERY active within the community and does a lot of outreach and education. I was talking with her the other night about these proposed changes and support them 100%. The increase in fees is minimal and will be primarily used to fund more hours for her assistant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12