Quick draw coating vs regular wax coating.

Default Quick draw coating vs regular wax coating.

Making some purchases as I expand my apiary. Trying to decide if I should spend the extra $ on the quick draw wax coating or just go with the standard coating. It's about $70 extra per 100 and I'm leaning toward just spending the extra. Anybody got any experience with both? How much extra wax we talking? How much more economical would it be to just add an extra coat myself? In the past I have added wax myself to uncoated plastic frames and I don't think I could make a pound do more than maybe 10 deeps tops. At that rate I could go through $70 doing 100 deeps myself pretty easily. But I don't know how "extra" they mean vs how much my "extra" coating is (it's nice and thick added using foam brush).

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Quick draw coating vs regular wax coating.

I do my own extra-waxing because:

a) It's fresher, and I think fresher wax is more attractive, and

b) Commercially applied wax can drift a bit off of the ridges at the edge of the cells if the boxes are subject to any heat in shipping.

c) I prefer to use my own rendered wax to reduce the amount of "foreign" wax coming into my yard. Block wax isn't irradiated and I very much doubt that the wholesale quantities deployed at the factories is either.

But an extra wax coating turns ho-hum into crazy to make cells, so I always do it.

I get about 12 deeps per pound if i am doing 50-80 at a time. You always lose some to the pot and the brush. And if you haven't done it in a year, it takes a few minutes to get back to the light stroking movement that lays it down on the cell walls, not in the cells. It's a pleasant task, as long as you aren't pressed for time.

Nancy

Acorn foundation. Nick Lissaman is GREAT to work with! And the wax coating can't be beat (I get the heaviest wax coating possible).

Plug-and-play!
    "The amazing thing about the honey bee is not that she works, but that she works for others." St. John Chrysostom

Quote Originally Posted by vtbeeguy View Post
    At that rate I could go through $70 doing 100 deeps myself pretty easily.
    And that's before you factor in any value for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaW View Post
    Acorn foundation. Nick Lissaman is GREAT to work with! And the wax coating can't be beat (I get the heaviest wax coating possible).

Plug-and-play!
    Acorn Heavy Waxed is all we use!

I plan to try acorn in the future but currently I already have 100 sheets of rite cell I think it is. I plan to cut them in half and use them like Laurie or maybe it was Eng does. But I also want some full sheet ones and I don't have a lot of extra time right now to assemble more frames. So my plan is to buy pre assembled with the foundation in them. So for those ones it's between buying the extra wax coating or doing it myself. Might just do it myself enj made good point about the advantage of knowing that the wax is CLEAN. Thanks for all the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuttingedgelandinc View Post
    Acorn Heavy Waxed is all we use!
    I just received my order of 6" Medium Plastic Foundation Double Waxed - 100 pack ($1.08 ea.) from Pierco.com

There was a shipping mishap, Not a Pierco issue, with UPS where something happened to the package in tansit and it got returned before it even got to me. Pierco called me to find out what happened, and I told them I had no idea as I never received it. They shipped another box and it arrived in 2 days. Great service.

I've attached an image of one of the frames. I have not bought waxed frames before, so don't know how to judge this. It seems like good coverage and smelly like nice honey wax

I'll update this later (months, I recon) when I know how well they draw comb on this.

frame 2.jpg