Consumer drone usage.

Default Consumer drone usage.

So, is anyone using the drones yet?

Not the bugs.
    The flying machines.

Potential usages for me:
    * I could actually fly a drone from my house to one of my nearest swarm traps to check on it and not bother driving there.
    * Could stop be the road side and fly a drone check on my out yards (without slogging over collecting ticks and such).
    * Could fly a drone over the closest prairie to evaluate the flower (mostly check for blooming clovers and goldenrod).

Sounds really cool but maybe prices/features are not on my level just yet.
    Not paying 1K for a drone.

For the reference:
    https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/337251/the-best-drones

Experience/ideas/suggestions/discussion are welcome!
    I have zero experience; never had one yet.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Consumer drone usage.

My brother is trying to get me to buy his old one. It would be useful to see if the tulip poplars and sourwood trees are being hit by the bees. Other than that, it is hard to justify the expense.

I bought myself one for Christmas, but due to our weather I haven’t been able to use it yet. I’d like to try to use it for the reasons you mentioned, but I actually bought the drone for other uses. Using it for bees will just be an added benefit. I would have a difficult time justifying the expense just for bees.

My son and I both have a DJI Phantom 4 pro. The video and picture quality is very good. Super easy to fly and control it almost flies itself. If I had to do it over again I would have got the splash drone 3d auto with the release for fishing although it is pretty pricey. We use them for all sorts of stuff including checking swarm traps, checking the fields for turkey or deer, checking livestock, flying over our property to keep an eye on everything and just playing around. Haven't really been able to justify the expense but that's true for a couple of motorcycles and guns as well. I fly it over to check the hives from the house. The bees usually ignore it. The chickens are freaked out by it and my dogs want to kill it depending on the height. If you get to close to the hives or in their flight path you inevitably chop up some bees.

I now keep a shotgun in the garage, only reason one would be over my house is to see if anyone is home, flyers beware.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Wildbranch I would be careful of indiscriminately shooting drones out of the air over your house or not. You may own the land but you DO NOT own the AIR. Those things can be big $$$ and you might find yourself reimbursing the owner of it who was just out for a recreational flight!

There are new Canadian regulations re. drone usage coming into effect in June. Strict rules controlling other than line of site operation. Licensing and written examination for anything over a certain weight. Insurance?

I fly fixed wing radio controlled models under Model Aircraft Association Canada member insurance and procedure regulations. I understand we will be able to also operate drones but only from MAACs approved sites. Expect increasing regulation and enforcement is not far away.

Drones are potentially very effective tools that can be used for nefarious purposes by anyone interested in diddling the establishment. I leave it up to your imagination what that could be
    Frank

Most drones are flying at a height (200-400feet) that you would never even know that they are there. I agree that it's wrong to be down low over someone else's property legal or not. Just bad form. But in the age of big brother do any of us really have any privacy? Someone is probably looking back at you as you type on your phone or computer. Google Earth has satellite views of everyone's property.

Here's is an excerpt from an article on the subject,
    Shooting down a drone has the same consequences, legally, technically speaking, as bringing down an airliner or a Cessna," says Jeffery Antonelli, an expert in drone law. "It's illegal under federal law." And if you tried taking down a drone with some sort of jamming or signal attack, you'd also have the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on your case.

Now, if a plane or helicopter were violating your airspace, which the 1946 United States v. Causby case puts at below 83 feet, then "you'd call the FAA and report the tail number," says Antonelli. But FAA registration numbers for hobby drones don't have to visible on the outside, so what's there to report? (By the way, when we asked the FAA what to do in these situations, it recommended notifying the police, and referred us to the National Telecommunications and Information Administration. The NTIA is currently working on a "best practices" document with other stakeholders interested in drones. But its recommendations will be voluntary.)

I think there's a world of difference between 'freedom of navigation' and the unwanted intrusion into someone's property.

Re: Google - the satellite shots are fairly low resolution, and exclusions can be applies for with regard to their land-based photography.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

There was a thread here once in which it was suggested that towing a queen through a drone congregation area might be a way to get her mated while avoiding dragon flies and swifts which might want to eat her.
    Bill

While the Supreme Court hasn't explicitly accepted that as the upper limit of property ownership, it's a useful guideline in trespass cases. Therefore, unless you own some very tall buildings, your private airspace probably ends somewhere between 80 and 500 feet above the ground
    my shotgun is effective to the lower ranges, they have been that low before, just protecting my mating queens.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

One reason i do beekeeping is to actually get out in nature. I enjoy the hawks and deer and stick bugs i come across. Yes i sadistically enjoy tromping through a mud field to check on them in winter as well. All part of the hard work this hobby takes. Can't think of one reason a drone would make any of that better.
    Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    ... Can't think of one reason a drone would make any of that better.
    Well, IF we only could fly...
    Scouting the pastures (especially the forest/tree pastures) is a very good reason to have a drone (but the price/benefit gets in a way).
    If a $100 drone was good enough (not the case), I would seriously consider getting it just for pasture scouting.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Well, IF we only could fly...
    Scouting the pastures (especially the forest/tree pastures) is a very good reason to have a drone (but the price/benefit gets in a way).
    If a $100 drone was good enough (not the case), I would seriously consider getting it just for pasture scouting.
    google earth with a coffee works for me. Not saying i would not like a drone. would have come in handy checking my chimney for issues or filming things. Just would never want to bring it to the bee yard.
    Terrence