Will bees start building in the top frames if there is open space under them.

Default Will bees start building in the top frames if there is open space under them.

I am new and have no bees. I'm making traps to change that. The parts are cut but not assembled yet. I have a lot of used lumber so changing is not out of the question but not preferable. I am making my equipment and planning all medium deep equipment (6 5/8) probably 8 frame.

My traps are 7 frames wide and 14" deep (I'm planning all medium equipment - so med frames) leaves approx. 18"long x 9.625"wide x 7.25"deep inside open in the bottom.

1. I have no comb. I have old wood, unrefined wax to melt and paint some inside parts and will use lemon grass oil bait.

2. I plan to fill the traps with 7 frames.
    If I use all 7 frames with foundation is there a good chance bees will start in the frames or will they just start in the open space below the frames.

3. As an option to above I am intrigued with the idea of starting out foundationless but have read a lot against new beeks doing that. For foundationless frames I would put a starter strip at the top and 2 vertical skewers.

4. I'll be placing the traps on my 8 acres and some will be pretty close to where I'll put the hives. Checking them will probably be like daily for a week then skip a week. I'm at the property about half of the time.

The more I read the more the info needs to be qualified to my situation. So more opinions would be helpful to me.

I'm in Ottine, Texas (think Gonzales)
    thanks
    Marvin

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Will bees start building in the top frames if there is open space under them.

If they have that much space below there is no telling what they will do. Perhaps build a trap that houses mediums above and 7 below with proper bee space and thin wax starter strips. When bees are given open space and free reign you never know quite what they are going to do. A good swarm is powerful in regards to comb drawing potential. If possible avoid having to cut wild combs out to fit frames later.
    Kamon Reynolds https://youtu.be/RX-JxsOvb80 Swarm Control

Default Re: Will bees start building in the top frames if there is open space under them.

When a swarm moves in they start at the top and work down. I have experimented with packages in one, or more boxes of foundationless frames and frames with foundation. The bees almost always start at the top and work down.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF