Double NUC Setup vs two 5 frames NUCs? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Double NUC Setup vs two 5 frames NUCs?

I cut deep boxes down to make my 4 frame supers. I just cut the Finger joint sides off and joined them together with glue and pocket hole screws. This left me with the center section that has the handle cut in it. I will use these to make some mini mating nucs so there is almost no waste. I got the deep boxes from Mann lake when they were on sale for $9 or so.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Madsen View Post
    I am not sure where the leak was. It was a purchase double nuc.
    If you were to run a double (side-by-side) nuc-box stack with separate half-width boxes from the ground up - then the chances of queens ever meeting would become zero. You would lose the stability which a divided brood box at the bottom of the stack gives, but that's about all. Of course, you could recover much of that stability by placing some kind of full-width base board underneath the half-width bottom-boards.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

I ran into trouble by putting a QE on top of a double nuc and letting them use a communal honey super. On several occasions, bees migrated from one side to the other (presumably) stronger side. Result: a booming side and a dwindling side, that caused further drift and eventual loss of the weaker colony. Queens were present throughout, so i don't know how to avoid that, other than not trying the communal super method again.
    Mistakes are the best taechers

I stopped using the excluder/communal super. Didn’t see the dwindling you mention. Would rather stack up the nuc supers, and harvest the top couple boxes

I was using a communal feeder with QE. I suspect that is where the queen leakage was, but it is impossible to know for sure.

Alex Madsen

Quote Originally Posted by Beebeard View Post
    I ran into trouble by putting a QE on top of a double nuc and letting them use a communal honey super. On several occasions, bees migrated from one side to the other (presumably) stronger side. Result: a booming side and a dwindling side, that caused further drift and eventual loss of the weaker colony. Queens were present throughout, so i don't know how to avoid that, other than not trying the communal super method again.
    Bees vote on queens with their wings and feet. The same thing happens with nucs. I believe you only lost a dink in the making.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

One advantage to individual five frame nuc stacks is that it is easy to move them around to balance out populations (swap locations of a weak hive with a strong one or even a regular hive) to add foragers. I guess you could do the same thing with the combined resource hives, but it wouldn't be quite as flexible and would involve lot more work.

Also, you can rather easily divide a 5X5 nuc with a double screen bottom board to make a few queens or split a strong nuc. This might be a bit more difficult with the 4X4 stack.

I run communal supers for divided deeps and divided double deeps and as long as the queens are young it is not remarkably hard to manage. I winter divided doubles with mountain camp sugar shared thru a flat metal or plastic excluder also. As long as you keep the queens separately homed, you have two queens working and one colony divided by a 3/8" plywood wall

Beebeard, I have used the excluder to equalize, rather than moving brood (usually with overwintered nucs and queens): when the small half is using every frame so I don't want to remove one to replace with brood, and the big half has not started cells but is crowded enough to think about it, and it's too early for me to want to make a split off the strong one, I've added qx and shared super. They have always equalized without my doing much, besides check bottom of upper box on strong half. Potential down side, I believe of one side swarms they will not requeen properly with shared super on, so if they swarm colony must be separated again. Also, they may potentially both swarm at once even if cells are only on one side. I have not had this happen but that is what I'd expect.... Down side of 2 5-frame nucs is I'm not always careful enough to make sure qx is really covering edges. When using shared super, little nucs can become booming colonies with nowhere to store honey when supers come off. They may need to be split to be able to overwinter as 4 over 4 again.... Good luck! Mike Palmer's videos are excellent and inspiring. The resource hives are more fun than harvesting honey....

I decided go with a double 5 over 5 nuc configuration. I will let you how the experiment goes. I ordered 4 sets of equptment.

The divided deep/ 4 frame box system of resource hive works great and I will keep using it. As MP said, I'm just going to super up from now on. The communal super might be a little more convenient to harvest, but not all that much better than using the 4 frame boxes. In the end, for me, the risks outweigh the very small benefit. YMMV
    Mistakes are the best taechers

When supering a double 4 frame nuc with a 10 frames box ( ran out of equipment), I cut a QE and put that over the holes on the inner cover then put the box on top of that. The bees did store nectar in there. We also used 5 frame nuc boxes on that, the outside edges hung over but didn’t have any gaps. That was during last years Autumn flow which was huge. Deb
    Proverbs 16:24

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12