Swarm Date versus Overwintering Success? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Swarm Date versus Overwintering Success?

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Lucky for you!
    We have 3 more months before swarm trapping here.
    Fun.
    Well, to be fair I will be setting-out the traps to see if anything happens, but historically swarm season is late April - early May here.

I am setting them out to test if any exceptionally early swarms are hived- I'll report back.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Baited and set out my first trap yesterday evening. We'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    Robber:

Glad to hear that you've got a trap (or maybe a few) out. If you don't mind, let's compare notes given that we are located in the same county.

Here is an interesting anecdote from the Treatment-Free Facebook forum relative to early swarms:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/698364...oup_highlights

Two traps installed and baited on Feb 15th. Based on the weather forecast, consistent flying days will start this Saturday.

Now you've got me thinking I better get a couple more traps out!

Russ,

Great link on early swarms. Thanks for posting it.

i've got 6 traps out. 1 had consistent activity Saturday before all the bad weather and cold came rolling though. i'll check them all this weekend , weather permitting.

Quote Originally Posted by clong View Post
    Great link on early swarms. Thanks for posting it.
    Clong:

Ironically, here is another one already- Stan is in the county North and West of Houston, TX. Interesting that he observed 20% drones:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fatb...5977666470338/

Here is an interesting anecdote from the Treatment-Free Facebook forum relative to early swarms
    Well given the source page, the information becomes instantly suspect.

I would argue that the small volume of a natural nest had more to do with it

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    Well given the source page, the information becomes instantly suspect.
    Why?

Nothing yet. Haven't seen any bees near any of the traps I've set out. Had a few bees checking me out in the garage while I was building hives a couple of weeks ago. I guess they had a whiff of the lemongrass oil I spilled on my hands while baiting a second trap that day. Hopefully this week the traffic will pick up since it's supposed to be sunny and in the 50's all week.

Hopefully this week the traffic will pick up since it's supposed to be sunny and in the 50's all week.
    Nothing here either- based on the bloom cues, it looks like we're 10 days - 2 weeks behind last year.

I'll watch for your post when you catch a swarm!

Quote Originally Posted by Beebeard View Post
    Not to muddy the water too much, but I picked up a big swarm in August a few years ago. I put them in a deep, fed syrup, in 2 weeks they got another box. They filled that on a fall flow, overwintered with a big cluster and came out swinging in the spring as a very strong hive with the same queen AFAIK

Our "prime" swarm season is done by July. Who knows why these ones swarmed. Absconded from beetles or mites? Their tree fell over? They don't read beekeeping books?

A hived swarm, well provisioned and treated as you know best has as good a chance of surviving as any other in your care, no matter the calendar.
    I can probably offer an educated guess as to why..... my own hive swarmed after the honey flow...which I caught and hived in two deeps.

Cliff notes version...

The rules of swarming

1. Colony survival comes first
    2 propagation of the species comes second

The reason hives swarm.
    1. Propagation of the species. Early spring buildup, a strong colony will swarm to propagate the species (rule #2) and spread genetics.
    a. If a colony is weak, it will forgo swarming because of rule #1. The colony survival comes first.

2. Colony survival. Post honey flow, you have taken off all the supers and forced all the bees down into one or two boxes depending upon your winter configuration. The hive can count....They know they have all these mouths to feed and very limited stores.....so, the colony swarm late for "self sacrifice" because of rule #1. They can't have all those mouths to feed going into fall with limited resources coming in AND make it thru winter.....that swarm has little to no chance of making it thru winter (without beekeeper help), but they have left the colony with a way of surviving by relieving itself of too many mouths to feed.
    This is called a post honey flow swarm.
    Help is here to never misplace that hive tool again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTqB0zcmhmQ

Just to update. Flowering cherry trees have been blooming the last week. Just now seeing them covered in bees working them over. No bees on any traps yet, but figure I'll start seeing some in a week or so as more plants begin to bloom and temperatures stay warm.

Just to update. Flowering cherry trees have been blooming the last week. Just now seeing them covered in bees working them over. No bees on any traps yet, but figure I'll start seeing some in a week or so as more plants begin to bloom and temperatures stay warm.
    Nothing here as yet, Robber. The cold weather we recently had slowed everything down. Good luck with your trapping efforts this Spring.

Saw the first scouts on one of my traps 4/12. So, looks like the swarm season is starting. Not sure how much this quick cold snap is going to slow them down.

Caught first swarm in a trap yesterday afternoon in the Reidland area. Looks to be about softball size or a little bigger.

Reidland area.
    State?
    Help is here to never misplace that hive tool again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTqB0zcmhmQ

Kentucky (far western)

Caught first swarm in a trap yesterday afternoon in the Reidland area. Looks to be about softball size or a little bigger.
    Robber:

Way to go! Do you have other traps out too?

I have been fortunate to have hived five swarms thus far less than 10 miles from where you are at. I have been updating as the season unfolds here:

https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...Bungling-2018/

Keep up the good work- I'd say get some more traps out now if you haven't already. Scout activity has been heavy the last 10 days.

I have 7 total out. A couple in Reidland, 1 in Heath area, 1 in Leeder Bottoms area, and 3 around my house. I too have seen a lot of scout activity the last few days. Waiting to see if one at the house gets one, since there were a hundred or so bees scouting it a few days ago. We'll see what unfolds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast