Want Swarm Prevention? Try the OSBN Method - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Default Re: Want Swarm Prevention? Try the OSBN Method

Thanks for the update Mike.

A few questions:
    Are you using the same size frames for the supers?
    If so, did you move any frames up into the supers from the brood boxes?
    Are the supers all foundation or are some drawn frames?
    (Wanting to make sure they move up into the supers.)

Let us know how it goes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Matt,
    At what point to you believe the bees are done with any swarm impulse? Walt Wright wrote that once he was seeing the white wax before the main flow, his bees were done. With this method, the bees start making and using the white wax pretty early but I can't believe it would be that simple. Your bloom times are very different than mine but for me, I generally feel that May 15th is the cutoff date. Once I get past that, I am in great shape. We get hammered with just about everything being in bloom in April and the bees really go to town if the weather allows it. In April we get hit with plums, almonds, peaches, maples, pears, apples, dandelions and cherries and a thousand other bushes and weeds all blooming within the same 4 week period. With all that forage available, it is easy to see why the brood nest can be filled with nectar very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by MattDavey View Post
    Thanks for the update Mike.

A few questions:
    Are you using the same size frames for the supers?
    If so, did you move any frames up into the supers from the brood boxes?
    Are the supers all foundation or are some drawn frames?
    (Wanting to make sure they move up into the supers.)

Let us know how it goes.
    All my OSBN frames are deeps, and Ive done all manipulations in the deeps, nothing in the medium honey supers. The frames are the wedge types.

The medium honey supers just put on have mostly used frames, not drawn, well, extracted frames, so they will have to build them up.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dudelt View Post
    Matt,
    At what point to you believe the bees are done with any swarm impulse? Walt Wright wrote that once he was seeing the white wax before the main flow, his bees were done. With this method, the bees start making and using the white wax pretty early but I can't believe it would be that simple. Your bloom times are very different than mine but for me, I generally feel that May 15th is the cutoff date. Once I get past that, I am in great shape. We get hammered with just about everything being in bloom in April and the bees really go to town if the weather allows it. In April we get hit with plums, almonds, peaches, maples, pears, apples, dandelions and cherries and a thousand other bushes and weeds all blooming within the same 4 week period. With all that forage available, it is easy to see why the brood nest can be filled with nectar very quickly.
    The main Swarm period here seems to coincide with when Apples are in Blossom and finishes when the Apple Blossom finishes, so from early October until mid November. The equivalent for you would be the same as you have indicated, early April until mid May.

There is a noticeable change in the focus of the hive moving into the Main Flow. There is more nectar being stored, more bees in the supers and even some honey starting to get capped.
    Also, the distribution of bees in the hive is more spread out and less focused around the Broodnest.

Thanks Mike.

They are more likely to move into the supers if the frames have been used previous, but don't assume that they will. Check on them in a week just to make sure they are working in the supers.

Great stuff, Matthew.

We are a bit off Spring here but i will give it a go.
    I keep about 12 hives as singles simply to produce nuc's. The best produce about 24 frames of brood by Christmas. I take brood frames out every 2 to 3 weeks to make up nuc's. Never had one swarm - as far as i know.
    This year I will do the same but at Christmas time I will add a Q excluder and a 1/2 supper to get some honey off them too

Thanks for posting your method. i will read the lot when wnter hits here
    max
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

Thanks Max.

Sounds like a nice method to stop Swarming and make Nucs or boost other hives at the same time.

Thanks for your YouTube videos too. I have enjoyed watching them in the past.

For those who have been trying out OSBN, how are things going?

Any updates from previous posters?

Matt
    I am not previous poster. I am foundationless and pulling frames from the side of the brood nest or sometimes the center is how I get bees to recognize new space when added and I try to keep more space on them then makes sense.

I am still new enough that I don't know how I am really doing cause except for one year which was swarm city, I have tried no other way of keeping bees.

It works well enough for me to keep doing it. Doesn't mean they wont swarm tomorrow cause I could inspect more then I do. I have been just looking at a few to decide if I need to look further.

I am treatment free and so it might just be that the bees are too sick to want to swarm but so far so good. I will say that reading this was part of my decision on how to manage my hives and I am glad that it was here.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Thanks Max.

Sounds like a nice method to stop Swarming and make Nucs or boost other hives at the same time.

Thanks for your YouTube videos too. I have enjoyed watching them in the past.
    I would like to make a few more, very basic , You Tube videos. Time, skill, tools...

I had a look at your website but it does not seem to display well here?

Quote Originally Posted by max2 View Post
    ...I had a look at your website but it does not seem to display well here?
    Yes, it was originally set up as a Blog format. I will look into changing it.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have changed the format of my website now.

We have 3 hives making swarm cells, so far we have stopped them. We did the OSBN by putting in new partial foundation, cutting out the sides of drawn partial foundation, where they built a lot of drone comb. Putting in Frames of new foundation.

We also, in those hives, saw a beautiful fat queen, they were slowing down her laying. We put her and the frame she was on in a plastic tote with a lid. Then went through the hive removed every swarm cell. Some we put into nuc boxes and now have raised three queens, small open cells we just destroyed.

Then around 5-7 days later we go back in and remove any new QC's. The original queen had started laying again, beautifully.

So far we have had success. One hive we found one open QC at the bottom of a frame, they were just thinking of swarming. We removed it, OSBN with cut frames, new foundation etc. Went in about 5 days later, found one QC removed it. We just checked yesterday, tons of brood, no QC's.

We also added 3-4 honey supers giving them room, as of 4/1/19 we had added one super, we added more towards the 3rd week of april. We started seeing white wax the middle of April, some of our hives were capping honey in the honey supers. Our honey supers are drawn comb and some are cut foundation to get comb honey. I freeze and save it all from year to year.

Our black locust bloomed about a week ago, around 1.5 weeks earlier than last year. A lot less rain this year than last year.

We are hoping they get busy gathering a lot of nectar! And forget this swarming stuff.
    Zone 6b: 27 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

Thanks Missybee, did you do OSBN before finding the Queen cells, or did it after?
    If after, it sounds like it has helped to change their mind.

With only 1 Queen cell it may have been a Supercedure attempt, but maybe the queen just needed the extra space and time to get laying well.

Sounds like your main flow is just about to happen. Have fun!

We were starting to do OSBN, the hives were a bit behind where they usually are this time of year, a wet cool spring. They all had a lot of open drawn comb to lay in, like a full brood box. Most of the brood boxes had frames with a lot of room to lay in. We had done a reverse so the top box was basically empty.

We were shocked to see the swarm cells and a totally empty brood box on top.

We aggressively rearranged the brood boxes, keeping the brood together (still cool) but adding cut frames, empty foundation and cutting out the drone comb on the 1/2 foundation frames. And totally removing any QC's.

We went in 6 days later, and one hive had 4 swarm cells, one had around 8 so we removed them again. Stuck them in a nuc box, with nurse bees, may or may not make it as they were not capped. We will check again next week for more swarm cells. The queen is still laying wonderfully.

The one hive with the one QC it was on the bottom of a frame not where the normal supersede cell is, nice big fat beginning QC with some still empty QC's near by. So after what we had just been dealing with in the other hives we decided to cut them out. Yesterday that hive is brood top to bottom, some empty foundation.

Last year we were involved in fixing up a 100 year old rowhouse for sale, worked on until mid May a hour drive from home. And it did nothing but rain. One of the few times we checked the hives, every single one had swarm cells. We just closed them up and said good luck. Still got 855 lbs of honey, 15 hives.

But we got brand new queens as of last year lol

We are hoping we keep them home. So far so good, but you never know.
    I also do some checker boarding, esp if the top box is becoming a honey box.

I went to your website, very nice and a lot of good info. Thanks for doing it!
    Zone 6b: 27 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

I have changed the format of my website now.
    Looking great and displaying perfectly
    thanks
    max

Thanks Max and Missybee about the website.

Missybee I didn't have much luck with reversing either when I tried it.
    Did you notice if there was much capped honey along the top of the Brood Frames when you did it?
    Scraping the cappings along the tops may have done the job.

But some breeds of bees will try to swarm no matter what you do.

Wow, 855lbs of honey off 15 hives is still very good considering they swarmed last year.

Thanks for contributing.

Thanks Max and Missybee about the website.

Missybee I didn't have much luck with reversing either when I tried it.
    Did you notice if there was much capped honey along the top of the Brood Frames when you did it?
    Scraping the cappings along the tops may have done the job.

But some breeds of bees will try to swarm no matter what you do.
    There was no honey along the top of the brood frames. There was some to the sides of the brood boxes.
    The white wax was up in our honey supers.

We have one hive that is filling the top brood box with nectar, totally full, a deep. We took that brood box and moved it above the queen excluder and put empty supers below and above it. Gave them a empty brood box with a mix of drawn and undrawn foundation.

Ok, thanks for clarifying that.

Sounds like you are keeping on top of it.

With Queen Cells I'm not too concerned with the position on the frame, occasionally see Supercedure Cells on the bottom of the frame.

The number of cells is more important. 5 or less Queen Cells is more likely to be Supercedure. Unless it is a small hive, like a Nuc.

So 2 of those hives may have been trying to Supercede the queen. Which would make sense considering all the room the hive had to expand into.

I assume you still have the 15 hives, so even with 3/15 trying to swarm, you have done well.

The thing that was strange with one of the want to swarm hives, was I found what looked like emergency QC's, small on the face of the comb, nice supersede looking ones, beautiful on the face of the comb, but then around 10 swarm cells. The other hive had around 12 pure swarm cells.

The one swarmy hive only dropped to 5ish swarm cells after we had cut out 12 a week before.

We will watch the other one, see if they only make one or two cells and leave them be. Or we could add one of the queens that emerged from the swarm cells to that hive, after removing the working queen. We are waiting to see the laying pattern see if they mated well.

We currently have 20 hives, with 4 maybe queen making nucs, if you count them we have 24 hives. Two of the nucs did have queens emerge, nice fat gals. Have not seen a laying pattern yet.

The queens are lucky to make it back to the hives. We have 11 ponds I put in, small to large, dragon flies, tons of birds, frogs, toads, etc, they must fly through a battle field. The bees love the ponds, always drinking out of them.

I need to read your web site, again, be a little more organized in our OSBN activity..............lol

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast