Numerical cognition in honeybees enables addition and subtraction

Default Numerical cognition in honeybees enables addition and subtraction

Spotted this and thought I'd post it for the more scientifically minded out there.

http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/5/2/eaav0961

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Numerical cognition in honeybees enables addition and subtraction

That's a pretty interesting study, especially with the reward and punishment training and then the test. I found this section interesting:

In each of the four tests, the bees performed at a level that was significantly different from chance. In the addition (same direction) test, the bees chose the correct option of 4 in 72.1 3.20% (mean SEM) of choices (z = 5.05, P < 0.001; Fig. 2B). In the other addition (opposite direction) test, the bees chose the correct option of 4 in 66.4 2.69% of choices (z = 3.81, P < 0.001; Fig. 2B). In the subtraction (same direction) test, the bees chose the correct option of 2 in 63.6 2.89% of choices (z = 3.17, P = 0.002; Fig. 2B). In the other subtraction (opposite direction) test, the bees chose the correct option of 2 in 67.9 3.66% of choices (z = 4.13, P < 0.001; Fig. 2B). There was no significant difference between the performance of the bees in any of the four tests (z = −0.887, P = 0.375), demonstrating that the bees performed equally well on all tests.
    That's pretty impressive, clearly not random--and consistent for each individual bee. This means that with the exception of one subtraction test, bees test at nearly 70% on their arithmetic. This means that bees are C students rather than Bee students. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'll see myself out now.
    Year 4
    Zone 7b 3500 ft.