Nosema treatment for northern beekeepers ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nosema treatment for northern beekeepers ?

Iím wondering what everyone does for Nosema especially people from a Northern climate. Do you treat when there is a problem or some kind of preventive treatment?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Nosema treatment for northern beekeepers ?

I have never treated for Nosema. I find keeping a properly ventilated hive takes care of most dysentery problems. When I have lost colonies to dysentery most often it was bees unable to take cleansing flights for protracted periods. When I have had bees tested, they come back with counts below economic concern so I see no reason to spend the money on medication.

i purchased several large bottles of fumagilin B prior to them stopping selling it and i have never used it.
    So far so good

Quote Originally Posted by Jheberling View Post
    Iím wondering what everyone does for Nosema especially people from a Northern climate. Do you treat when there is a problem or some kind of preventive treatment?
    I would first confirm that it's nosema.
    It seems that for every study about the benefits of fumagilin, there's a counterpart that shows it has little to no effect of controlling nosema.

>I’m wondering what everyone does for Nosema especially people from a Northern climate.

I've been doing nothing for 45 years. APHIS has been doing Nosema counts on my bees the last three years and all the counts were zero. I think it probably has to do with your climate whether there is any issue at all.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    i purchased several large bottles of fumagilin B prior to them stopping selling it and i have never used it.
    So far so good
    store it in the freezer.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

When needed and properly applied, Fumagilan has a profound effect. When not needed, it is a BIG waste of money. Do your homework first.

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    When needed and properly applied, Fumagilan has a profound effect. When not needed, it is a BIG waste of money. Do your homework first.

Crazy Roland
    and Fumagil also worked on many things other than nosema, shame you can't buy it any more.
    mike syracuse ny

I think I saw they where trying to bring it back.

Crazy Roland

I’m wondering what everyone does for Nosema especially people from a Northern climate. Do you treat when there is a problem or some kind of preventive treatment?
    Most of the time running poop in Northern winter is not Nozema.
    Wrong bees (can not hold poop enough).
    Wrong bees (don't know to not brood through the winter - that is running up poop).
    Wrong brood timing (holding high temps and running up poop).
    Too small of a cluster (just trying to stay afloat in small numbers and running up poop).
    Bad/no insulation ((just trying to stay afloat in freezing and running up poop).
    Weather swings screw the normal wintering (that is running up poop).
    The list goes on and on and on..

Unsure why even worry of Nosema with all the bigger fish to fry.
    I don't.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    store it in the freezer.
    thanks mike will do

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    I’m wondering what everyone does for Nosema especially people from a Northern climate. Do you treat when there is a problem or some kind of preventive treatment?
    Most of the time running poop in Northern winter is not Nozema.
    Wrong bees (can not hold poop enough).
    Wrong bees (don't know to not brood through the winter - that is running up poop).
    Wrong brood timing (holding high temps and running up poop).
    Too small of a cluster (just trying to stay afloat in small numbers and running up poop).
    Bad/no insulation ((just trying to stay afloat in freezing and running up poop).
    Weather swings screw the normal wintering (that is running up poop).
    The list goes on and on and on..

Unsure why even worry of Nosema with all the bigger fish to fry.
    I don't.
    I agree with everything you said, I have never worried about it until I started reading online this winter about it. I’m changing out my genetics this spring to good northern bred queens and I just wanted to make sure I’m doing everything I can do for them to make it through the winter. How do you insulate your hives?

How do you insulate your hives?
    Look in "horizontal hives".
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...31#post1698031
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Beware of the Nosema without the runs - much harder to diagnose.

Crazy Roland

Beware of the Nosema without the runs - much harder to diagnose.

Crazy Roland
    everyone should go read randy olivers articles on nosema starting from the first one to the last. He has flipped multiple times saying it's bad not bad, then back to bad then not bad. He is in a far warmer climate than many of us are. when it comes to colder climate stuff, I go look at what canada recommends, medhat Nassar last I know recommended it for canadians. I never used it for all hives, but found it very useful as a drench for certain conditions. I have had my bees tested for virus's and nosema for that last few years and never had a high nosema reading, then again I'm in an area that has tons of pollen all summer.
    mike syracuse ny

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    everyone should go read randy olivers articles on nosema starting from the first one to the last. He has flipped multiple times saying it's bad not bad, then back to bad then not bad. He is in a far warmer climate than many of us are. when it comes to colder climate stuff, I go look at what canada recommends, medhat Nassar last I know recommended it for canadians. I never used it for all hives, but found it very useful as a drench for certain conditions. I have had my bees tested for virus's and nosema for that last few years and never had a high nosema reading, then again I'm in an area that has tons of pollen all summer.
    Same here. We look to what the Tech Transfer Teams are recommending as well as our current and retired State Apiarists. We have never treated for Nosema but are vigilant about getting colonies tested. It is my understanding that Fumagilin-B is not effective against Nosema Ceranae which is now the most prevalent of the two. It can actually make it worse according to some. Too many people that I talk to see fecal staining and automatically assume "Nosema". Ceranae unlike Apis does not present with symptoms. I have also heard that Fumagilin-B will be coming back very shortly as it has been purchased by a company or companies in Canada.

I talked to a guy at the USDA bee lab & he said that when their hives were treated with fumagillin the spore counts went way down BUT within a month the counts rebounded to higher than original levels. so maybe treating for Nosema is like treating for foulbrood. as long as the meds are in the hives it's working but as soon as you stop it's back. so if that's true then what's the point of treating?? fumagillin is supposed to still be available in Canada & will be back in the states sometime next year. it also has a short shelf life so do not stockpile it. you can send bees to the usda bee lab in Beltsville for a free diagnosis. beaver lodge bee lab in alberta for Canadians.

Quote Originally Posted by rober View Post
    I talked to a guy at the USDA bee lab & he said that when their hives were treated with fumagillin the spore counts went way down BUT within a month the counts rebounded to higher than original levels. so maybe treating for Nosema is like treating for foulbrood. as long as the meds are in the hives it's working but as soon as you stop it's back. .
    which lab, did they have a pollen flow during the period, all kinds of variables, that's why I go with the Canadian recommendations.
    mike syracuse ny

Above , it was stated:

Ceranae unlike Apis does not present with symptoms

I believe it does have symptoms, just not the same.

I believe the biggest problem with using Fumiggillian is in the vehicle. If you stop and think about the life cycle, you will discover why the recommended vehicle is faulty.

Crazy Roland

I think I saw they where trying to bring it back.
    Medivet has closed the doors and is no longer producing Fumigillan-B. Canadian Honey Council has negotiated to acquire the rights and now owns the DIN number for it. Article in the most recent HiveLights by the Executive Director suggests that they now have an agreement with a pharma company to produce the product again. My understanding from conversations with our local CHC rep there is an expectation that it will be available on the market by early to mid 2019 thru the new supplier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast