Cell size survey. - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Cell size survey.

Would any of this have anything to do with the frames sizes?
    No, but it has a lot to do with the distance from the center of the brood nest. Bees build the smallest cells in the center of the brood nest and gradually increase in size as they go out. They will not exceed a certain size, but will vary with the brood area often composed of 4.9 or 5.0 cells while 3 or 4 frames from the center they draw 5.1 or 5.2. Also, cells will often be stretched a tad vertically and compressed horizontally. They may measure 4.9 one way and 5.1 the other. Check this by letting a colony build comb. It is very easy to demonstrate.
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
    No, but it has a lot to do with the distance from the center of the brood nest. Bees build the smallest cells in the center of the brood nest and gradually increase in size as they go out. They will not exceed a certain size, but will vary with the brood area often composed of 4.9 or 5.0 cells while 3 or 4 frames from the center they draw 5.1 or 5.2. Also, cells will often be stretched a tad vertically and compressed horizontally. They may measure 4.9 one way and 5.1 the other. Check this by letting a colony build comb. It is very easy to demonstrate.
    Well, this maybe so if you have classic cold way/central entrance - you have the nest aligned to the entrance (about centrally).
    I don't do those.
    My things are off to one side.

I suppose wherever the main nest is situated that is where they will build the appropriate cell size (if allowed to build so).
    Be it in the middle or on a side.
    Last edited by GregV; 04-12-2019 at 08:03 PM.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
    Iím trying to think here Iíve really never thought about cell size; having our boxes for their hive, the bees are constantly expanding from late winter to about August. For those having an unlimited brood-nest and adding drawn frames, especially using drawn honey supers which seem to have uniform cell size, how do they use this for drones? Plus Iím going to add an image here which has me puzzled. AB3ED020-83B0-4645-A2F5-EC516B7A481A.jpgIt posted upside down
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Well, this maybe so if you have classic cold way/central entrance - you have the nest aligned to the entrance (about centrally).
    I don't do those.
    My things are off to one side.

I suppose wherever the main nest is situated that is where they will build the appropriate cell size (if allowed to build so).
    Be it in the middle or on a side.
    Greg, you mean the combs are set up vertical to the entrance.?
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    Greg, you mean the combs are set up vertical to the entrance.?
    If you recall - in Layen's system the entrances are located at the hive corners.
    And so it is a hybrid between central cold way and central warm way.
    Like so:
    UkranianHiveConfiguration_April_Wisconsin.jpg

Right now the nest is off-set with respect to the entrance - it is warmer/less ventilation.
    In summer, the nest stars from the very entrances - more ventilation.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345