Hive scales portable

Default Hive scales portable

Anyone know if someone makes a portable hive scale, folds up store easy. Something that fits in the handles and then you can just push down a lever, lift the boxes up, record the weight, set back down move to ther other. Something like a crane jack just made for hives to weigh.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hive scales portable

Zone 5A 2,200 ft.

NY14804 that's where I got the idea, seems pretty simple. There is another video of a guy doing it with a crane type, he just uses (looks like ratchet straps) and some type of scale. YouTube video called "how to easy weigh a beehive" by iggy, that's where I first seen it. Just wondering if someone makes them somewhere

That little hive scale in the video above looks like a breeze to use and very portable. Wonder where it is from or how to even build it

JustinS I've been toying with making the digital one. I was thinking of cannibalizing a new bathroom scale for the 4 load cells, digital display and battery holder. I've found that most bathroom scales' foot platforms are made of tempered glass these days and I think the parts I want are epoxied to the glass, making it harder to remove them. Almost all brands of the bath scales I looked at have bad reviews for accuracy, consistent weights displayed and working for more than a year...probably due to their cheaply made load cells?

I've seen Iggy's lever action hive lifter before and it is much simpler to build. Its transport weight is probably about the same...but it is longer / bulkier to transport. I think I will make one like Iggy's and maybe make the vertical post adjustable, for 2 to 3 different hive stack heights, to have the lever handle at the optimum position for me to easily lever it .
    Zone 5A 2,200 ft.

NY14804 I think the one in the video you showed would be a great setup. I cant figure how it is built though. I dont even know where to begin. Most of the scale building videos are a little to much involved for me. I am by no means electronically savoy. I did email the guy on the video but have never received a response back. But then again the video was back in 2013 or 14 and I'm not really sure where he is from.

I think I am going to build one like Iggy has. I have a game hoist that I tried out this last fall, used with a large game scale and a ratchet strap with L shaped hooks on the ends to fit inside the handles worked good. Need to modify it down. To tall for beehives really so was awkward for one person to use the hive swung out to much. Iggys was lower lot less swing out. So I will do some modifications with it and see what I can come up with to get it to stand on it's own and hold the hive. But it did work and gave a complete measurement on the hive. Simple to hoist up just not putting it back on. Probably due to the height now that I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
    NY14804 that's where I got the idea, seems pretty simple. There is another video of a guy doing it with a crane type, he just uses (looks like ratchet straps) and some type of scale. YouTube video called "how to easy weigh a beehive" by iggy, that's where I first seen it. Just wondering if someone makes them somewhere
    The fulcrum has been used as a hive scale for decades...pretty cheap and simple setup....there's a video of German beekeepers using it.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Help is here to never misplace that hive tool again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTqB0zcmhmQ

Quote Originally Posted by NY14804 View Post
    I think I will make one like Iggy's and maybe make the vertical post adjustable, for 2 to 3 different hive stack heights, to have the lever handle at the optimum position for me to easily lever it .
    I've decided to not make an adjustable vertical post.

To simplify it I will have a length of chain hanging from a hook on the lifting end of the lever that I can move to a different link, to adjust for different hive heights and keep the handle of the lever at a comfortable height or angle for me to pull it down. My scale will be hanging from the bottom of the chain.
    Zone 5A 2,200 ft.