Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

2019 Lusby conference cancelled, no signups.

10K views 46 replies 19 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
Text Font White Line Number

2019 Lusby Conference blows up, virtually nobody signed up.

Guess the thought of getting mauled by bloodthirsty Arizona Africanized bees didn't appeal.

See less See more
#44 ·
Right, but how would meanness be a northern or southern trait? Seems the whole African deal started when some "accidentally got away" from a research facility. What if the meanness trait makes it on some northern genomes? IMO the decision to "cold climate" adapt some African bees should have a lot of consideration before being done, the impact could last , well forever.... Do advise if you bring them north, I may buy stock in heavy bee suit manufactures, and the maker of duct tape.:D the days of the beekeeping YouTubes done in shorts will be over.. As a northern Boy, I had hoped the meanness would be watered down before they got here. Hop scotching over 2 or 3 state lines may bring it on a lot sooner. Would certainly weed out the Backyard Beeks and the newbies, could change to "leave this to the professionals" kind of thinking. the only constant, it seems is "change"

GG

#45 ·
No, I generally disapprove of people moving bees all over the place. But we would expect some African genes to end up here eventually through a much slower process of gene flow even in the absence of artificial bee movement. The ones that are useful anyway. I expect mean ones would get selected out along the way. We speed that up with bee movement. But a gentle African queen line would fly under the radar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.