Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

2019 Lusby conference cancelled, no signups.

10K views 46 replies 19 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
Text Font White Line Number

2019 Lusby Conference blows up, virtually nobody signed up.

Guess the thought of getting mauled by bloodthirsty Arizona Africanized bees didn't appeal.

See less See more
#2 ·
This might be a sign that the beekeeping fad that started with CCD in 2006 is finally waning.

#3 ·
Quite possibly.
I met Dee Lusby and there's no doubt that she has a lot of bee knowledge, but it's also no secret that she can be abrasive and off putting to some. I've found her to be way more approachable in private than in a public setting.
I've never been to the conference she puts on, but I've seen/heard some of the speakers that attend that conference - Kirk Webster, Michael Bush, Sam Comfort. I found those talks interesting and learned something from each. I've also learned from others like Randy Oliver, Mike Palmer, Samuel Ramsey, Dave Tarpy. There's a lot of bee knowledge from many sources, and Dee's approach was limiting the knowledge to some sources.

#4 ·
From my own perspective, I feel the Treatment-Free movement is sagging under the weight of dead bees. I did it myself for 6 years, so I understand the interest. But I think the more one learns about bees and beekeeping, the less the old Bond method seems to make any sense, and it's hard to make meaningful breeding progress without I.I. coupled with knowledge of honey bee genetics, geographic isolation or control of the vast majority of the local population. When I got back into bees in '09, it seemed like the majority of new beekeepers were anti-commercial and treatment free. Now, a quick look at the Facebook groups and it looks like the new norm is sidelining as an almond pollinator.

Dollars and sense.

#5 ·
That last youtube video probably didn't do her any favors. There's no doubt her bees are survivors, but the dilapidated gear and crazy working environment will not appeal to many.

As i understand, Dee now has a hip problem and relies on help from volunteers drawn from these conferences. If that dries up, her operation may dissolve into the desert sand.

#6 ·
The last few videos show she is in no shape to debate, right or wrong, its a dead end.
Having dealt with elder parents( talking 4 DR appointments a week, dementia, ass wiping, bathing and diaper changes here....If you could still get out of bed and walk, you still had a place in my home), I hope my daughter judges me by who I was, not what I became in the end, so we should give Dee the same respect.

#7 ·
>2019 Lusby Conference blows up, virtually nobody signed up.
>Guess the thought of getting mauled by bloodthirsty Arizona Africanized bees didn't appeal.

Dee has been unable to walk without crutches for several years now. She is in constant pain. Age and failing health are catching up to her. I don't see how she gets anything done under her current circumstances. Gloating seems inappropriate.

#9 ·
So how does she get anything done? Is it from volunteer helpers?

I am sure she will want to pass on the mantle and been wondering what will happen, been thinking the only way that could happen if someone was keen enough to take the whole thing over, lock stock and barrel. If it is still generating revenue, a younger fit person could build new gear and gradually replace stuff.

Although it would be a big job. Reading Dee in the past, I've been amazed how much energy she must have had, for example each piece of comb foundation was made by hand.

#14 ·
Regarding the content of the linked video, I thought it is generally well accepted there is no benefit to Housel positioning . . . ?
You are correct that majority opinion is that housel position offers no benefit. However if some folks like Dee adamantly believe that housel positioning makes their bees gentle, then obviously, who are any of us to argue?

#16 ·
I have no personal knowledge of Dee Lusby but through a beekeeper that started when I did when we first formed a local Club. My friend advocated treatment free and even got Sam Comfort to come to our new Club. She followed Dee’s (and husband) treatment free teaching passionately. That was in 2011. I don’t believe she knew/understood (at that time) about the AHB that Dee had and how that and her isolated location contributed to her success of TF.

#17 ·
I don’t believe she knew/understood (at that time) about the AHB that Dee had and how that and her isolated location contributed to her success of TF.
Your point is well taken and valid. But it is possible to keep bees treatment free and not have them die. For me that entails splitting the hives, monitoring for mites ( and requeening colonies that have high counts ), integrating VSH genetics, using darker bees and being ok with smaller honey harvests.

#23 ·
But it is possible to keep bees treatment free and not have them die. For me that entails splitting the hives, monitoring for mites ( and requeening colonies that have high counts ), integrating VSH genetics, using darker bees and being ok with smaller honey harvests.
it would be great to hear more about your treatment free experience in northern illinois marcin. please consider hosting a thread here in the tf subforum if you are so inclined.

#20 ·
Agreed Marcin. I have very much enjoyed some of Sam Comforts videos. He has an excellent understanding of bees, and has walked both sides of the fence, migratory commercial, and now TF top bars. Like every successful beekeeper he has settled on a method that is working for him, and giving him the lifestyle he enjoys.

#21 ·
I believe Sam has hives/yards that are pretty well isolated, which supports “all beekeeping is local”and his management style. There is a somewhat local man that lives about an hour or less from me (Cooperstown area) a retired Dr. of hematology who has been beekeeping about 40 years and is an EAS Master Beekeeper. He tried treatment free for about 4 years and stopped, unfortunately it didnt work for him. I truly wish I could be. I saw Kim Flottum do a presentation (utube) on drones at the National Honey Show. He will use drone comb in hives in a cycle of every week or so adding a frame then removing when capped. He says by July or so his counts are low, like one mite. These are hives he doesn’t worry about passing on genetics. I have to watch again, he talks about it briefly at the end. Deb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_rH9ZEh_-Q

#24 ·
I saw Kim Flottum do a presentation (utube) on drones at the National Honey Show. He will use drone comb in hives in a cycle of every week or so adding a frame then removing when capped. He says by July or so his counts are low, like one mite. These are hives he doesn’t worry about passing on genetics.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_rH9ZEh_-Q
Deb:

Just wanted to thank you for posting this video. Had the opportunity to watch and it was quite informative. I chuckled when Kim quipped that his wife reminds him every fall that he is a drone...

#26 ·
> The number of individuals starting beekeeping is getting smaller by the day

I said that in post #2 of this thread but......the last two local bee meetings here were filled full with new wanna bee beginner beekeepers. Here the fad still has legs......and still super wealthy housewives getting chickens. I guess the agrarian fads last longer here in a totally non agrarian civilization. If the grocery store trucks stopped rolling for 2 days food rioting would break out. I think I am the only person in a neighborhood of 800 homes producing and selling food.....i.e. honey.

#27 · (Edited)
#31 ·
statement of the day "His mistake was to assume that his methods would work anywhere." I even see big differences 25 miles between 2 Apairys with somewhat the same bees. I think some succeed or fail due to the DCA. Reading some old books that describe the virgin queen flying low and fast for 1 mile or more then popping up to "begin looking" for a DCA. So the drones most of us assume are from our own Apairy would only apply if Apairy vicinity mating occurs. they get her returning home. Some DCA 1 to 2 mile away is a big part of your success, or failure. if you can cover a 9 square mile 3x3 area with known Drones then you can control. other wise no so much. be on the edge of a Tupilio Swamp and start with swarms then you my be golden, leveraging from 20 years of bond in the wild. In a city where 200 packages are shipped in each year, How could you ever repeat that even if you had a good year. Carry on use what works for your local area.

GG

#32 ·
I have never met the Lusbys but I am familiar with them, their reputation, and their techniques. I just recently bought their book. I was hoping to go to the conference some day. Looks like that won't happen. I guess I'm a little disappointed that I missed that boat as I have had plenty of opportunity to do it.

The thread mentions Dee needing help or someone taking over the whole operation. This peeks my interest. I've had plenty of experience working Africanized bees in Texas and Belize and working commercially in general. I just might be the right guy.

Maybe one of you guys/gals out there who know Dee could introduce/connect me with her?

Thanks,
Paul

#38 · (Edited)
Respectfully, I've seen a few videos of the Lusby's apiary. Apply all the geographic spin and semantic obfuscation people want, no way do we need or want such uniformly aggressive bees in Colorado.

JMHO

#39 ·
#40 · (Edited)
It is my understanding that Africanized bees do not survive the winters in Colorado. So, I would suggest that no matter how many may be brought in, they die within the first winter, and thus we do not have an established, or even an over-wintered, population of these bees in Colorado.

Regardless of how many are brought into the state, or how many may or may not survive our climate, I personally think it is irresponsible beekeeping to knowingly bring in such bees or to promote bringing in such bees. And it is even more irresponsible if it is done thinking Africanized bees are a magic bullet that will achieve the fantasy goal of treatment free bees. It’d be worse than bringing in nutria to control kudzu.

To be clear, I am talking about a bee strain with genetics causing a higher than usual propensity to be very defensive as derived from hybridization with certain African strains. This as measured relative to the typical non-defensive nature of our standard bee strains such as Italian and Carniolan. Because mixing in African bee genes generally increases the chance of this overly defensive characteristic, the term "Africanized" is the popular nomenclature typical used to reference these bees.

JHMO. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.